Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did you ever watch the Albion play at the Goldstone

Did yo see the Albion play at The Goldstone?

• Total voters

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
First game was Derby County (H) in 1987. We lost 1-0, it snowed, I was in the South Stand. The most distinctive memory I have is of Eric Young's BROWN HEADBAND.
Had a season ticket in the North Stand a couple of short years later, which cost me the same as my monthly DD does these days.
Used to get complimentary tickets in the West Stand from fringe players who were mates.
Went to a ZDS Cup game v Charlton in the East Stand.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
First game, lost 0-2 to Cambridge in August 1978
image.jpeg

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Started in the West seats aged 7 with my Dad. ST in the South seats when we were promoted to old Div 2 (72/3). Then a chicken run regular with occasional forays into the West terrace if heavy rain. Regular in the North from 1980 until the end.

Not an easy ground to make a big noise in. Worst when we had no roof on the North. But some great times. Taught me wit, sarcasm, humility and how to be streetwise.

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Started on the East Terrace where we stood just behind the gap half way back so that my mate's girlfriend could see as she was short. Graduated to South Stand when I got a season ticket to guarantee a cup final ticket then went over to West Stand where I used to lean on the wall round the pitch

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
About 10 times, including seeing us knock a then higher league Portsmouth out of the FA cup on a freezing January Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodian
Lego Stand - The only one I never went in

I went in there twice. Once against Sunderland when we were one down with a few minutes to go, and won 2-1. I was down the front with the away fans behind us -so we nipped over the wall and round the running track pretty quick as you can imagine. And the other time was against Blackpool last game of 77-78, I think it might have been the only space available that day (were there any away fans?). I can still see the rumour ripple coming up the East from under the TV scaffolding that Spurs or Southampton had scored.

Blackpool eh? Got in my usual position, front, middle, Chicken run about 1:45 (gates didn't open til 1:30) couldn't believe how many were already in there

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yes first game in 77 as a nipper my uncle took me, we then moved up north and did the northern away games mainly from about 84 however I did not go to many home games apart from when we came down to visit relatives if we were at home. I then moved to London and started coming down on a regular basis from about 93 catching those dark days of a free fall.... Although many hark on about the north stand you have to admit the ground was a shambolic dump.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
I attended from the age of 4 to 10, I sat in the "Directors Box" and from what I remember of it, it was like an old mans pub with stale egg and cress sandwiches and tea at half time...

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

My 1st game was a birthday treat, I can't remember if it was my 5th or 6th Birthday, taken by my Dad's best friend (ST holder), my dad (not a big footie fan) and 2 friends. It was against Tranmere Rovers, who played in Amber shirts/socks, white shorts. We won, I think 2-1 but not sure , and I remember the Tranmere player was injured as he scored.. I was mesmerised by the spectacle, the noise and the smell of pipe tobacco - we sat in the West Stand, and my Dad was amazed at how much I simply sat and watched the game, that he forked out for a season ticket for the season after.. It was February 1974 or 1975. Sat in the West Stand every year until 1984, then graduated to the terraces, my 1st "terrace match" the infamous game vs Chelsea!!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Those were the days. Crammed on a wet terrace with the bloke next to you smoking. No toilets. No food. Treated like animals behind bars and even worse if you ever dared to go away.
Good times but give me the Amex any day.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

My 1st game was a birthday treat, I can't remember if it was my 5th or 6th Birthday, taken by my Dad's best friend (ST holder), my dad (not a big footie fan) and 2 friends. It was against Tranmere Rovers, who played in Amber shirts/socks, white shorts. We won, I think 2-1 but not sure , and I remember the Tranmere player was injured as he scored.. I was mesmerised by the spectacle, the noise and the smell of pipe tobacco - we sat in the West Stand, and my Dad was amazed at how much I simply sat and watched the game, that he forked out for a season ticket for the season after.. It was February 1974 or 1975. Sat in the West Stand every year until 1984, then graduated to the terraces, my 1st "terrace match" the infamous game vs Chelsea!!

Ive just checked : it was 1974/75 season so my 6th Birthday.. we won 3-1!! and I have discovered the delights of the English National Football Archive as a result!!

Jan 30, 2008
Lived in Goldstone Villas as a child but my Mum wouldn't let me go because there was so much trouble down my road every other Saturday, eventually gave in (1979) and I got a kicking by Liverpool fans outside Hove station...... Oops
they don't like woolly backs
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here