Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did you ever watch the Albion play at the Goldstone

Did yo see the Albion play at The Goldstone?

• Total voters

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
pretty regular from 71-94 (only went a handful of times towards the end

notable games I attended

Bristol Rovers 2-8
Walsall 7-0
England-Norway U21 6-0 (Wardy hat-trick)
Spurs 3-1
Ipswich & Derby (League Cup)
Arsenal 0-4
games against Liverpool & Man Utd
Pompey 4-0 & 2-1
Palace (must have seen half a dozen,without Palace ever winning)
Saints 1-1
Sheff Wed & Bristol Rovers (promotions)
Leatherhead 0-1

loads more I'm sure,took the place for granted

we are so Lucky to have the Amex

0-0 at half time. I was too young to go. I remember my brother was in hospital and I really missed him. Dad told me the score and it cheered me up no end.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
0-0 at half time. I was too young to go. I remember my brother was in hospital and I really missed him. Dad told me the score and it cheered me up no end.

Albion booed off at half time too

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I would have been 9 when it was taken away from us, and living in Hastings at the time with parents who had no time at all (they worked pretty much every hour running a pub) I never had the chance. I was more interested in cricket then anyway.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
19 years which means you'd probably have to be at least 23 to remember us playing there.We have loads of fans that age or younger although the poll results don't seem to match that up...yet

this poll is actually a representation of how many old buggers are on here, shirley?

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Certainly did, started watching the Albion in the early 70s.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
First hame 4-2 vs Barrow, 1969. I think Kit Napier scored direct from a corner. Age 11. I'm not sure I ever 'sang' at the Albion till the Withdean days and I was in my 40s. After that I started to make quite a racket, and when I sat in Withdean North once, I was shushed. SHUSHED! :lolol:

I didn't like the Goldstone much. Small, badly designed, very Division 3. Even so, it was ours, and like so many I could never look at the old site after we left if I ever had the misfortune to drive near it. Visited it finally on the day of the first game at Falmer, pay my respects and all that. I still get angry when I think about how things might have been (if the town had got behind the club in the 70s, and we had either redeveloped the Goldstone, or sold and moved). Take a look at the attendance stats in our last year in div 4 in the 60s. We could have been something . . . .

Thank goodness for Dick Knight, and then Tony. And all the activists, lots of whom I met during the Gillingham and Withdean years. And very good people met through the Mailing List, many of whom are also longstanding NSCers. Much love :thumbsup:

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Watched from every Goldstone stand, North, West, South, and the East (Chicken run) where it all started for me. I still have the small wooden stool that I had to stand on so I could see. My Dad and uncle used to position me in front of one the metal crush barriers, so if there was a surge from behind then I would be safe. Never went to Gillingham when we were homeless, but my son and I were season ticket holders at the Theater of Trees when we 'came home', before we moved to our new home. Biggest regret, like so many others, is that dad did not get to see the Amex being being built. Now my son and I are both WSL season ticket holders, how I wish dad could have seen our new home, and yes I blubbled like a good-un at the Donny game, and raised a pint on the concourse in his memory. Been a supporter for over 50 years, its been an emotional roller coaster this far, promotions and relegation's, the real 1st Division, FA Cup final(s), play-offs, etc. more twists and turns to come...

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

that's right it was

usually stood on the South West corner back then with the old man

but as it pissed down all night we found ourselves right behind the South Stand goal,where all the goals went in!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
First hame 4-2 vs Barrow, 1969. I think Kit Napier scored direct from a corner. Age 11. I'm not sure I ever 'sang' at the Albion till the Withdean days and I was in my 40s. After that I started to make quite a racket, and when I sat in Withdean North once, I was shushed. SHUSHED! :lolol:

I didn't like the Goldstone much. Small, badly designed, very Division 3. Even so, it was ours, and like so many I could never look at the old site after we left if I ever had the misfortune to drive near it. Visited it finally on the day of the first game at Falmer, pay my respects and all that. I still get angry when I think about how things might have been (if the town had got behind the club in the 70s, and we had either redeveloped the Goldstone, or sold and moved). Take a look at the attendance stats in our last year in div 4 in the 60s. We could have been something . . . .

Thank goodness for Dick Knight, and then Tony. And all the activists, lots of whom I met during the Gillingham and Withdean years. And very good people met through the Mailing List, many of whom are also longstanding NSCers. Much love :thumbsup:

I used to think the Goldstone was really shit,until I went to the Dell :lol:

the North without a roof was just awful

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

dr415414

May 6, 2015
First game with my Grandad in the West stand next to the tunnel. Think it was 1971 against Shrewsbury. I know we were 2-0 down at HT and came back to win 3-2. Not a bad start! Later graduated to the chicken run with my mates and used to wave to my Grandad on the other side before kick off.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There's an awful lot of oldies on here tonight.

Presumably the vast majority of those under 20 won't have been to the Goldstone?

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
My first game Barnsley at home 1962 standing on a beer crate in the Chicken Run as all kids did then. A question for all us oldies. When did the the North Stand start having a mob singing? I really cannot remember but can remember wanting to go in there. Think I first ventured in when I was allowed to go on my own about 1966

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
One of my most cherished items is a picture of me all alone in the center left of the North stand,got a friend to take it in 1992 pre season photo session,never thought at the time what was to follow....so glad we took it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here