Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did Hughton get away with it tonight?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I love Rohan Ince but I do think some people get a little carried away when it comes to assessing his ability. Holla's a good player too, we won and Ince gets a good break. Good management by CH.

D

Deleted member 2719

CH did a lot of mumbling about Ince being rested but also suggested that he gives the ball away too much, but he replaces him with Holla! We got lucky I will take the points and hope he puts Ince in next time.Strange selection but got away with it IMO.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Resting Ince, that is.

Earlier in the season Hyypia started without Ince against Derby and brought him on when we were three down.

Tonight, Derby enjoyed large spells of possession and broke at will. Rohan Ince's presence would surely have been a more destructive force. As it was, we rode our luck a bit and were the surprise winners.

All the players have a whole week off after tonight - did Rohan Ince really need to be rested tonight?

(Note: I'm not being negative or looking to find fault - Hughton seems to be getting a lot more right than wrong.)

It was grand larceny. Baldock and Tex failed the test but Dunk, Stockdale, Lualua and Stephens made up for it and CH escaped. We made Derby look better than they really are. Rohan Ince was needed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Better suited to this debate than the one I put it in:-

Hughton has been so impressive over the last 6 games, I may well have to spell his name correctly from now on.

Before the AMEX squad rotation either hadn't been invented of the Albion couldn't afford it.
Chris is handing out a schooling to the previous AMEX managers on how to win games.

Sure you can have a philosophy and only buy players that fit that exact mould, but we're not Arsenal we shop at Lidl.
Alternatively you can have a different philosophy but not the players, yet still not change your style.

Through fair means or foul Chris has:-

Inherited a complete mismatch of players.
Gone back to basics with the defence.
Introduced one player into midfield.
Rotated the midfield and strikers.
Affects the game with substitutions.

Sure he got 'lucky' tonight, but as the saying goes 'the harder I practise the luckier I get'.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I think CH got it spot on (obviously the win make it easier to say that!)

Derby are a very good side. We needed someone better at playing the ball. Which apart from the couple of stray passes (less than Bruno, calde and some others) Holla is a far better footballer than Ince.

I think CH knew we were going to be pinned in for a lot of the game and Holla is capable of dealing with that whilst Ince maybe not so much. Also means Holla's lack of pace didnt matter.

People forget sometimes players need a rest mentally as well.

CH has got his tactics and team selection right twice in a row even though some people would have questioned it before the game. Myself was surprised by both cms not OG for Leeds and Holla for Ince.
Both times it worked.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was good to see oft played out roles reversed at the Amex last night. How many times have we been the better team and been beaten? Derby absolutely mullered us for 15 minutes of the second half. I struggle to remember when a team has dominated us so completely at the Amex in the last four seasons. We took our first chance and then unbelievably managed to take the second one as well. We definitely got away with it but I think we have earned a bit of luck given how often shots on target have ended up in our net this season. Inspired or lucky? I'll go for lucky and about time too.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Sorry can't agree that he 'got away with it'. When you look at our recent results against Derby and our relative league positions I think everyone knew we were going to be under pressure for periods of the game last night. Thankfully we defended excellently and were clinical with our chances for once. Obviously the Baldock sub was enforced but felt Stephens was a perfect change at the right time and seemed to give us some momentum after we barely touched the ball in the first 15 mins of the 2nd half.

It's nice to have a manager who knows what he's doing tactically, hopefully we can get the requisite points needed for survival in the next 5/6 games so we can give some of the younger lads a go (Walton, Rea, etc) and then if TB backs Hughton financially in the summer things are looking a lot rosier.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We didn't get away with it.

Yes, Derby battered us, but we defended heroically, Stockdale was immense, and we took our chances. How often have people moaned this season that we can not score, and last night CMS was injured and Baldock went off injured, but COG more than played his part.

Any luck we had, we made it!

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
We didn't get away with it.

Yes, Derby battered us, but we defended heroically, Stockdale was immense, and we took our chances. How often have people moaned this season that we can not score, and last night CMS was injured and Baldock went off injured, but COG more than played his part.

Any luck we had, we made it!

Agree. But Derby well and truly dominated the game, and could have had a hatful. However it was great to see a great Brighton mugging on a Tuesday night.
How many games in the last few seasons have we dominated and end up losing in similar fashion. good to see a bit of a break going our way ..

Onwards and upwards.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
At the end of the day Derby may have battered us but we have the three points! 13 shots Derby 3 for the Albion! Can't wait until we get battered again! :lolol:

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Napoleon liked his lucky generals so I think we can like our lucky managers. Holla is below par but Stephens added something that maybe Ince would not have. So Hughton deserves credit for that.

I think 4 times out of 5 we will lose with that weight of possession and play against us but we defended well and DS had a great game (admittedly he owes fans a decent run)

How many times have we dominated possession at home this season and drawn or lost (even before CH arrived). It doesn't matter how much possession a team have, it's the number of goals they score. We scored two, they scored none.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
We got away with murder and I understand the police are still their dusting for finger prints.

Joking apart we were awful for the first half and even in the second half for the first 15/20 min's with Stephens coming on and the first goal thank God changed the game for us. And yes I thanked God.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Ince is a phenomenal tackler and physical presence in our midfield. However, at the moment he is still a bit raw and uncultured and sometimes a little naive. Also, aerially he is very weak, he rarely wins headers in the centre of the park which is an area he should dominate. Chris is right to take him out every now and then. Ince will only get better and has time on his side.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's good Mangement to rest young players.

Ince was poor at Bolton, and he needed a rest. Physically and mentally.

Had Hyypia treated JFC properly he would be in a better place right now.

See how Derby use Hughes sparingly.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
On the 60th minute, I turned to my mate and said, "There must be something we can do to change this". Then CH gets it bang on with the Stephens for Tex substitution.

He had a Plan B and a Plan C. Hyppia only has a Plan A and even that was difficult to define most of the time.

So, No..Not luck in my opinion...

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
It's good Mangement to rest young players.

Ince was poor at Bolton, and he needed a rest. Physically and mentally.

Had Hyypia treated JFC properly he would be in a better place right now.

See how Derby use Hughes sparingly.

Hyypia played jakey time after time even when he played poorly and his confidence was clearly low. Some youngsters would thrive on this, some need more nurturing. Jakey needed a bit more protection from the home crowd and should have been taken out of the squad. Luckily, it seems Chris knows how to manage the youngsters and I'm sure Jake will come back strong next season as he is a good player.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Whether rested or not the difference for me is Kayal. Everyone raises their game with him in the side.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Hughton got it right last night. The key area in which he improved the side was the remarshalled defence which had a lot more discipline, in particular Dunk who has been extremely lax of late was a world beater last night. Most of the Derby pressure came from the flanks in particular the excellent Ward and do not think Ince would have done much to stop him.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ince has looked Jaded in the last couple of games. It was a good call resting him.

Holla for me was a total passenger last night tho. When he did get on the ball he just gave it away.

Stumpy Tim

Holla is a more disciplined player than Ince, but in every other facet of the game I prefer Ince. Last night Derby's nippy passing bypassed Holla completely, so it would have been nice to have the option of Ince on the bench. In a sense we got away with it.

Can't argue with the result though. COG played well, but how Stockdale didn't get MOM is beyond me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here