Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did Hitler bomb your house?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3694563 said:
is it true that "false" villages and towns were very often set up in fields etc to try and prevent actual towns and villages from being bombed? Explains why so many random fields and farms took hits. I remember an elderly relative saying they used to lay out lights in the shape of streets to fool the Germans.

I don't know about false villages, but cetanly at the time we had a tiny army, so we set up fake military bases around the country.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3694563 said:
is it true that "false" villages and towns were very often set up in fields etc to try and prevent actual towns and villages from being bombed? Explains why so many random fields and farms took hits.

Either that or the bombers had the WWII equivalent of Craig Davies aiming the bombs

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Fat Boy Slim, your house took one hell of a beating

Attachments

• Bombing_Map_1946.jpg
    Bombing_Map_1946.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 411

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't know about false villages, but cetanly at the time we had a tiny army, so we set up fake military bases around the country.

there was also a "fake" invasion fleet made of wood and cardboard that were moored in Dover and Ramsgate harbour ( around the beginning of may/June 1944) giving the impression to German Recon planes that an invasion fleet was being gathered in Kent ready to launch accross the channel to Calais and Dunkerque

BTW if you are ever doing a booze run through the Channel, about 10 miles inland there is the remains of a V2 rocket factory/launch pad. Huge concrete thing, that was bombed continuously but only penetrated a couple of times. Its well worth a visit especially as they have a mock up of a V2 and they were bloody enormous. It also has three railway carriages that were originally used to transport Jews to the concentration camps and on the way back, Russian slave labourers! Very poingnant

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
there was also a "fake" invasion fleet made of wood and cardboard that were moored in Dover and Ramsgate harbour ( around the beginning of may/June 1944) giving the impression to German Recon planes that an invasion fleet was being gathered in Kent ready to launch accross the channel to Calais and Dunkerque

And hundreds of fake Tanks, Jeeps etc. And they worked too, as the Germans were still convinced days after D-Day that the Normandy landings were a diversion.

dave hylands

Feb 13, 2009
Eastbourne
my dad was cleaning the back yards steps in to his house in eastbourne st antonys ave when on the way back from london the germans dropped what bombs they had left, killing his mum my grandma dead in front of him lilly hylands she now has a housing complex now named after her.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Just realised that the Goldstone took 2....

Belloti finished what Goering started.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
presumably that long line of bombs that stretches near the steine was a deliberate attack, as the planes would have had to come in from the east or west, if they were flying back to Germany and just emptied their bomb bays, I would have thought they would have benn flying out to sea

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
presumably that long line of bombs that stretches near the steine was a deliberate attack, as the planes would have had to come in from the east or west, if they were flying back to Germany and just emptied their bomb bays, I would have thought they would have benn flying out to sea

As I recall that was a lone Heinkel who flew in from the west, over the piers and strafing before dropping his stick of bombs along the line of Edward St.

That was a slum area during the war years and probably did the locals a favour in the long run as they were cleared shortly after hostilities ended.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
nowhere near it seems - closest seems to be 20 minutes up the road from me!!

Chris45

Jul 29, 2010
Nope it was Tom and Win Smith. They both died about 25 years ago.
Hmm seems your right, I'm sure I remember staying in that house at some point though, my mother did know them but says they kept themselves to themselves, anyhow our house was no 12 Amhurst and that was our family home from 1960-probably around about 1975, nice and close to the Goldstone them were the days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here