[Albion] did anyone else think the Brentford Pen was out the area?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Think it was a nailed on penalty personally. I'd have been INCANDESCENT if we had not been given it, if the roles were reversed. Accepted the penalty immediately and was just happy that he didn't flourish a (harsh) red card.

The only doubt was whether (as the OP questions) the foul was inside the area or not - but that is one of the increasingly few things that I still actually have faith in the VAR to get right.
Yep, watching the live stream I thought "that's a penalty" even before the ref blew his whistle, so no complaints from me.

jellycat

Oct 7, 2023
Did the Brentford players not encroach for the penalty? I thought after it was taken a Brighton player complained to the ref.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Watching from the WSU south end through my spectacles I thought he had been tripped !

On seeing it on MOTD it was outside and a bit meh ! Good job young Jack saved us . :albion2:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
No

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Soft perhaps but we 100% accepted it at the time (sitting bang in line with it and clearly saw the shirt pull), didn’t even take any interest in whether there was anything more than a cursory glance by VAR.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Did the Brentford players not encroach for the penalty? I thought after it was taken a Brighton player complained to the ref.

Don't think this is a VAR issue but it should be as an easy and objective one to check. Linos are supposed to do it but I cant ever think of lino intervening.
Doesn't really look like it.

1702057492276.png

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was a 'seen them given' and the only real question is what possessed JPVH to come across him like that. The foul started outside but continued in.

The barometer is always 'Would you be annoyed if Albion didn't get that ?'

When applied, I suspect most of these type of threads would be nigh on redundant.

Jimmy Grimble

We had a similar back in the Championship at Fulham, where the foul on Tomer Hemed started outside the area and carried on into it, so the Ref awarded a penalty.
The foul was on Lua Lua. Hemed scored the pen!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If I was a ref no ones getting a pen if the are appealing for it before they’ve fully hit the deck. In my mind that’s a dive or they’ve gone down looking for it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Doesn't really look like it.

View attachment 170964
Maupay is encroaching there, but they wouldn’t check it, and really don’t care, UNLESS he becomes active in the play. If (unlikely I know, but let’s pretend) Steele saved the penalty, and Maupay tucked away the rebound - then they’d check it - and on noting he’d encroached, the goal would be disallowed, and play restarted with an Albion free kick.
If the first player to the rebound were an Albion player who was found to have encroached, then the penalty would be retaken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports