Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight on SCR website

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Last 45 seconds is the interesting bit. Seems to suggest there's already been SEVERAL approaches to invest already, but that Knight isn't going to do anything rash.

Intruiging - thanks.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
"Albion Chairman Dick Knight on David Gold"

:lol:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Thought it all sounded promising until five minutes in when DK effectively said he will still be the chairman that is walking out at Falmer. Basically he would welcome anyone's money but they can't have control until he has realised his dream of building the Albion a stadium. Personally I think if someone comes in like Gold who has the experience of running a football club and the money he should come in before we get to Falmer so that the team on the pitch is god enough to be in Championship. Why waste three more years when we have suffered for ten already. I can see where DK is coming from but I think once all the contracts are in place and the digging has begun if someone wants to take on the club who has much more money then he should let them and move aside with pride in tact. Surely he can still stay on as president and be hailed at Falmer if thats what he wants.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
How do you effectively say something?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As has been said many times, not all owners are also the chairman soanybody even DG, could buy the club and agree to let DK remain as chairman until Falmer is opened.

An important aspect of the work to be done over the next couple of years is to pull the construction project together. This will involve a number of major agencies, such as SEEDA, with appropriate string pulling being done by other bodies, including the City Council, Sussex Enterprise and the like.

To make this work in the most effective manner possible, it is vital that the current board of directors remain active. Dick Knight, Martin Perry and Derek Chapman have done the groundwork already. They have built the relationships that will get the job done smoothly. It would be suicidal for new faces to come in and replace the established key players. New faces can add something, for sure - but if Dick Knight and Co "step aside", we will lose momentum and prejudice the Falmer project.

I'm surprised that some people seem to think that everything is done and dusted, now that we have the formal planning permission. A complex project like this will take more than just money to bring to a conclusion. Continuity and established contacts are just as important.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And his own wallet. But to be fair I guess he deserves to make a bit out of it after the graft of the last few years.
Exactly right. He won't just be handing control over to wealthy benefactor "for the good of the club" unless he's looked after financially. And I wouldn't expect him to either.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Exactly right. He won't just be handing control over to wealthy benefactor "for the good of the club" unless he's looked after financially. And I wouldn't expect him to either.

Ironically, soon after he became chairman all the investment in the form of loans was converted to share holding. A risky strategy at the time as shares are only worth what someone will pay whilst loans have a redeemable value.

If we had failed in the stadium hunt, his entire investment would have been worth nothing. Now, it could be worth more than he put in. That is assuming he wont stay as a shareholder. The most likely approach would be a release of new share capital rather than sales form existing directors.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
As has been said many times, not all owners are also the chairman soanybody even DG, could buy the club and agree to let DK remain as chairman until Falmer is opened.

Exactly.

A director need not be a shareholder or vice versa; a benefactor need not be anything other than just that - Norman Cook has put a lot of money into the club, but is not even on the board. It will all depend on the individual.

If I were in a position to put Gold's sort of money in the club, I would not want to be chairman because I believe that DK has earned the right to hold that position when we walk out at Falmer for the first time. I probably wouldn't want to be chairman anyway.

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
Giraffe, may i give you some friendly advice?
Stop sticking your neck out (pun intended) about Dick Knight stepping down.
It is absolutely right that he should look for new investors, and I for one would welcome Gold's money with open arms, but all the loyal fans of BHAFC I know who fought Archer, Stanley and Bellotti, want Dick Knight to walk out as Chairman at Falmer. Gold is welcome as an investor, but Dick must stay as Chairman at the very least till then.
If there is any public show of disagreement with this things will get very nasty between
Albion fans, and that is the last thing we want.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
And his own wallet. But to be fair I guess he deserves to make a bit out of it after the graft of the last few years.

Anything less than £9 million sees Dick Knight still at the helm.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Dick Knight stepping down.
It is absolutely right that he should look for new investors, and I for one would welcome Gold's money with open arms, but all the loyal fans of BHAFC I know who fought Archer, Stanley and Bellotti, want Dick Knight to walk out as Chairman at Falmer. Gold is welcome as an investor, but Dick must stay as Chairman at the very least till then.
If there is any public show of disagreement with this things will get very nasty between
Albion fans, and that is the last thing we want.

Very wise words as are Lord B's above. If Knight and Perry go then I believe Falmer will be delayed for a long time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here