Development Squad = career killer?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
With the advent of our impending Academy/Training site being on the horizon, and looking at our current Dev squad structure, should players in the squad already, and new players signing up be wary that it could kill their long term career prospects? I will use Agdestein as an example, he signed then re-signed, he has performed well, but after two years or more he is really nowhere near a first team appearance, despite our lack of goals and despite him having one or two sub appearances. I suspect he will move on next summe with all that time and effort wasted. I believe our DS is a black hole where talent goes in never to be seen again.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
With the advent of our impending Academy/Training site being on the horizon, and looking at our current Dev squad structure, should players in the squad already, and new players signing up be wary that it could kill their long term career prospects? I will use Agdestein as an example, he signed then re-signed, he has performed well, but after two years or more he is really nowhere near a first team appearance, despite our lack of goals and despite him having one or two sub appearances. I suspect he will move on next summe with all that time and effort wasted. I believe our DS is a black hole where talent goes in never to be seen again.

It really shouldn't be, if the players are good enough. It's a stepping stone between youth games and the hurly burley of the championship. For instance, several of Derby's first team squad have come from the academy have spent some time in the development squad over the years....

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
It really shouldn't be, if the players are good enough. It's a stepping stone between youth games and the hurly burley of the championship. For instance, several of Derby's first team squad have come from the academy have spent some time in the development squad over the years....

That's because the board are tight asses and the management are willing to gamble on youngsters because they are potential gold dust!

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We are in the top 30 Professional sides in the country, very few of this development squad will make it at this level. Not a reason not to continue, if they can produce a player that makes the first X1 every couple of seasons, they will have done very well...

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
It must be frustrating. Everytime it seems young players are about to break through there's a load of new signings and back they go to the DS. Not good.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It says more about the players in the squad than the idea of the squad of itself. It will take 5/10 years to start bringing through quality young players, once the academy is open. JFC looks like being our one genuinely gifted youth team prospect who is good enough to break into our team. Agdestein woukd have done in League 1 but the standards are much higher in this current Brighton and Hove Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports