Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby v Forest

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have to go for a Derby win really. Our aim is top 6, and our best chance of finishing in the top 6 is if Derby win. It's that simple.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
As far as I'm concerned, it's still too early to give up on 3rd place - we're only 7 points behind with a game in hand, and the two teams in 3rd are in terrible form.

We can easily catch Derby and we have caught Forest, so I'd take a 0-0 draw and both sides dropping 2 points please.

Agree with this, although I think that Wigan are on such a good run that they will end up 3rd. We are definitely in the mix for 4th, 5th & 6th

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Have to go for a Derby win really. Our aim is top 6, and our best chance of finishing in the top 6 is if Derby win. It's that simple.
But it isn't - there are just too many games remaining to determine what our best chance is.

Plenty of time for any club to hit form or in our case (and Wigan's) to blow up completely. The good thing here is that points will be dropped in this game. The bad thing is that at least one of the two teams who are in awful form will get something from it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As far as I'm concerned, it's still too early to give up on 3rd place - we're only 7 points behind with a game in hand, and the two teams in 3rd are in terrible form.

We can easily catch Derby and we have caught Forest, so I'd take a 0-0 draw and both sides dropping 2 points please.

Quite. Win our game in hand at that's 4 points. FOUR. That is NOTHING considering the amount of time left. I'm looking higher than 6th right now, no question.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But it isn't - there are just too many games remaining to determine what our best chance is.
I think you're missing the point of what 'chance' means. We don't know for a fact which clubs will finish in the top 6, so what we're dealing with now is chance and probability. The probability (and therefore odds) of us finishing in the top 6 will improve if Derby beat Forest.

So the fact is, we have a better 'chance' of finishing in the top 6 if Derby beat Forest. Of course, by the end of the season, it's possible Forest would go on to win loads and finish about us anyway, and Derby could finish 1 point above us, pushing us to 7th, and that Derby win could be what cost us - but right now, our best chance of finishing in the top 6 is if Derby win.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The first week in April will be CRUCIAL

Blackburn (A)
Barnsley (A)
Leicester (A)

It will only be crucial if we don't win our home games. If you offered me THREE points from those three games right now, I'd probably take it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think you're missing the point of what 'chance' means. We don't know for a fact which clubs will finish in the top 6, so what we're dealing with now is chance and probability. The probability (and therefore odds) of us finishing in the top 6 will improve if Derby beat Forest.

So the fact is, we have a better 'chance' of finishing in the top 6 if Derby beat Forest. Of course, by the end of the season, it's possible Forest would go on to win loads and finish about us anyway, and Derby could finish 1 point above us, pushing us to 7th, and that Derby win could be what cost us - but right now, our best chance of finishing in the top 6 is if Derby win.
I'm not really missing your point at all. Clearly I understand that you think we are more likely to finish in the top 6 if Derby win - that much isn't rocket science. How you could think I have missed that point is quite beyond me.

To paraphrase you, you said "our aim is top 6, it's that simple". I disagree. I think we'll finish top six if we are strong at home, but quite fancy us for 3rd or 4th. So I'd say a 0-0 for Derby v Forest is preferred, because a win over Ipswich means we improve on both teams, does nothing for either team's confidence, AND leaves us handily placed for an ASSAULT on 3rd or 4th.

But if you want to cheer on Derby, you fill your boots. I'd rather it was a DRAW.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
DRAW please. Derby are DEFINITELY still within reach.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If we beat Ipswich, then we will profit from whatever result the Derby Forest game throws up.

I'm not fussed about 3rd/4th/5th or 6th I just want to be in the playoffs. I see little advantage in the seeding for the playoffs this year as the six teams currently trying to secure the four spots seem to be close enough for it not to matter who you play. Also any team contemplating promotion should not be unduly worried over the identity of a potential playoff opponent.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To paraphrase you, you said "our aim is top 6, it's that simple". I disagree. I think we'll finish top six if we are strong at home, but quite fancy us for 3rd or 4th.
So we agree that our chances of finishing 3rd or 4th are improved if Derby don't win, and we agree that our chances of finishing 6th improve if Derby do win? 3rd or 4th would be nice, but surely 6th or better is the main aim.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
'Top 6' doesn't have to mean '6th' though.

The statement 'our aim is top 6' is undeniably correct.
It is, but it's not "that simple". We're getting into semantics now, but ultimately I'd say the statement 'our aim is to finish as high as possible' is also undeniably correct, and the one I have in mind when I say I'm hoping for a draw.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So we agree that our chances of finishing 3rd or 4th are improved if Derby don't win, and we agree that our chances of finishing 6th improve if Derby do win? 3rd or 4th would be nice, but surely 6th or better is the main aim.
Yes. But I like the draw because it improves both likelihoods, as a point gets dropped by our promotion rivals.

So in summary,

For me, in order of preference:
Draw
Derby win
Forest Win

For you, in order of preference:
Derby win
Draw
Forest Win

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The first week in April will be CRUCIAL

Blackburn (A)
Barnsley (A)
Leicester (A)

Blackburn - already 8 points off the pace and likely to have no realistic chance after next 3 games.
Barnsley - if we can't beat them in April then we may as well forget even turning up in the play offs.
Leicester - will be promoted by then.

I can realistically see 6-7 points from these 3.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Going to Barnsley for the first time in a few weeks. Quite
excited about the way the league might have shaped up by then.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is, but it's not "that simple".

We're getting into semantics now, but ultimately I'd say the statement 'our aim is to finish as high as possible' is also undeniably correct
Yes we do, and obviously it's not clear what effect the Derby/Forest game will have on our final position. A draw could mean that we finish just above Derby, instead of just below - so we get 3rd or 4th instead of 4th or 5th. Slightly better, but no big deal IMO. Whereas a win for Derby could mean we finish a point above Forest, in 6th instead of 7th - now that would be a big deal.

Of course, like you say, a draw will effect the confidence of both teams, but again I'd like to see Forest's confidence even more effected, by a loss, boosting our chance of a top 6 finish.

Fortunately, we don't have to agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here