Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Dental subscriptions

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I don't claim to be an expert and the data below is a few years old, but NHS dentistry started to fall away under Labour when they forced a new contract on all dentists. I got kicked out of my dentist at that point and have never gone to see another dentist since. Anyway, from a few years ago but I don't think dentists can complain of being hard up :

View attachment 162873
Indeed. The old NHS ' item of service' payment system did need replacing as it nurtured a ' drill and fill ' culture as it was effectively piece work. It also encouraged over prescribing and unnecessary treatment as opposed to preventative. However, the new UDA ( units of dental activity) based contract introduced in 2006 brought a new raft of issues.

Having worked for the NHS body that paid and also monitored the work of all the NHS dentists in England and Wales, I'm always a bit cynical about so many dentists claiming they can't make a living. That's also borne of the fact that for 20 of those years I worked for the Probity team that investigated fraud and simply poor dentistry.:(

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I pay insurance via work to Unum Dental its £15 per month per person thats for the wife and I and includes all NHS treatment....with no excess.

Guess we are lucky to have an NHS dentist.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anyone else getting dry humped on this?

Total of £761 for a years subscription for two. Includes two hygienist and two check ups. 1/3 reduction on rates for any treatment required.

We are being shafted aren’t we? i wonder how much that has to be being old
You with your local dental practice?

£35 a month

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
The only private health contract I have. Started to have problems recently so upgraded last year to Denplan top tier. (£50 per month). As I suspected I now need a crown fitted and repairs to root canal. Three hours of treatment covered, all I pay is the crown itself. I can usually see my dentist same day if I need to. I do appreciate I am hugely privileged in this respect. I do wish it was different and we could have reliable NHS services available to all.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
IMG_7529.jpeg

£5.99

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Me too, I like them, but there must be better value.
Problem is, I like the dentist as he knows I am a dental wimp so I have confidence in him. I have had some bad experiences in the dental chair so although I moan I live with the cost. Doesn’t seem too different from others on here with plans either.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Get a cheap flight to Spain and go to the dentist. Good quality and much cheaper. I'm sure you could find an English speaking dentist too. Added bonus of a mini break and all in would probably be cheaper than what you pay now 🦷
My wife's uncle goes to Poland and pays a fraction of UK prices for great treatment, and some of my colleagues are doing similar. Latest I heard was someone going to Bulgaria where there's a dental school so good some UK dentists apparently choose to train there because it's so much cheaper but the quality on a par or better than many here.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
I've been going to an NHS dentist in Uckfield for over 10 years, had a call last week to say my dentist is going private only and they don't have any NHS dentists left.

Looking at £70 for a basic checkup.

Looked online and there are no dentists taking on NHS patients anywhere as far as I can see. Does feel like NHS Dentistry is being phased out, the dentist my wife goes to on NHS said they haven't taken on new patients for over 10 years. Bearing in mind there must be a churn of patients dying or moving away in that time they clearly have no interest in doing NHS work and are basically winding it down.
A private basic checkout here in Shropshire is £35. When I left Brighton I was being charged £65.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I have denplan option through work £30/month - get two check ups / yr and then paid 50% of any work done (emergency is 100%). i think it’s getting to a Cost level where it isn’t worth it - unless I’m getting a root canal / cap every year

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
£12.95 per month DD for me = £155.40 per year
Gets me 2 check-ups and 2 hygienist visits which would be £220 if I did pay as you go.
Plan also gives 20% [I think] off dental work as/if required ...

paging @driller our NSC resident man on dentistry

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
£12.95 per month DD for me = £155.40 per year
Gets me 2 check-ups and 2 hygienist visits which would be £220 if I did pay as you go.
Plan also gives 20% [I think] off dental work as/if required ...

paging @driller our NSC resident man on dentistry
I think I need to move to the “sticks” :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here