Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Dental Hygienists........???

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I see the hygienist and dentist twice a year each (so 1 visit every 3 months alternately), Mrs Wz the same and costs £60 a month on an insurance plan for both of us. Very rarely get problems these days, but if we do, it's all covered by the Insurance.

Unfortunately when I was a kid and teenager I had an absolute Butcher of a dentist who then put me off going for years, but started going regularly again when I had kids to encourage them and that cost a few quid to put right before they would insure me.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Having my teeth poked, prodded and plaque removal is only just down the scale of nasty from teeth drilled without an anaesthetic for me.

My hygienist, for years, has used some electronic thing that makes me leap out of the seat with my sensitive teeth, however a couple of weeks ago, like the thread starter, I went for the first time in three years. They have a new fangled warm water high pressure blaster now which was absolutely fine and painless :thumbsup:

Bollocking for not using TePe brushes often enough taken on board and I am now trying to use them everyday.

Having been to the hygienist they allowed me to have my teeth checked by the dentist. An uncomfortable jabbing with what felt like a needle on my gums and a filling on a chipped tooth was all that required. I’ll make a point of going every six months again now.

I get charged £385 a year for two visits to the hygienist and two to the dentist, any work required gets a 20% discount on the rip off rates they charge. My wife used to be on the National Health there but after Covid they cancelled all NH treatment and everybody now needs to pay their rates. The chipped tooth rebuild which took about 45 mins was £180
Hold on, I badly need to see a hygienist.

My teeth are a mess. An awful state. I don't mind forking out the wonga, but last time I went I visited a German bloke who I thought was taking some kind of revenge for 1966. It was almost as if I had paid for torture.

So are you saying that all that has stopped ? If so I'll be there next week. My teeth are on their last legs. Or roots, or whatever.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Hygienist every 3 months for me - £45 per visit with the distinctly average [looking] Natalie.
I have a long history of gum disease in part caused by elevated blood sugar levels from type 1 diabetes over the last 30 years.
Gums recede and so does the bone holding the teeth roots in, can't be reversed so if you want to keep your teeth, looking after them is mandatory.
I had 3 implants [UR1, UR2, UL1] done about 5 years ago, them having been wobbly for years. Can now bite into an apple and nibble meat off the bone which is a treasured pleasure now.

In my dentist's room there is a lovely message / poster on the wall.

Young child says to dentist: "Do I have to clean all of my teeth?"
"No", replies the dentist, "Only the ones you want to keep."

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The regular bollocking about flossing and those new fangled toothpick things. That will be £50 thank you.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
HAving 'forgotten' to go to the dentist for about 20 years, When I finally got back on track I now do D&H 2 times each a year, preventative maintenance is the key, and gum health is most important, or even shiny whites will fall out.

about £80 a pop x4 PA . . . I have some insurance thing via work which covers most of that.

clean teeth is nice, I'm not into the ludicrous unnatural aesthetic side of things, but not having dead rat breath and large black patches and gaps is a bonus.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Those little TePe things are marvellous (but we buy Tesco own brand - cheaper and just as good). Since using these regularly my teeth have improved and I need to see the hygienist less. But do miss the days when the dentist did it all in one appointment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here