Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Dental Hygienists........???

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Do the rank and file of NSC regularly attend a dental Hygienist ...?? i haven't been for a while, what with fending off a few health issues and then covid cancelling everything , getting a new job and only being able to get late afternoon appointments at our dentist so , on thursday afternoon off i trotted to see Kelsey for the first time in almost 3 years , to my delight the rather plump and hirsute Kelsey had moved on to be replaced by the lovely , blonde , lithe Naomi. Well, Naomi's strength belied her looks and stature , jesus , i thought she was going to rip my teeth out with her hooks , barbs and scrapy things , the strength in her hands was how i imagine the grip of Lenny McLean in his prime , the things she did to me brought tears to my eyes and today i am on a soft diet.....she used a heavy gauge floss which felt like having a pillow case dragged through my teeth then "brushed/polished" my pegs with what felt like a poly vac floor sander....what an experience and surely a bargain at $190.00...?? probably about 80 of your British pounds , is this how much these sadistic bastards charge in the u.k...?? genuinely interested.Regards Syd.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having my teeth poked, prodded and plaque removal is only just down the scale of nasty from teeth drilled without an anaesthetic for me.

My hygienist, for years, has used some electronic thing that makes me leap out of the seat with my sensitive teeth, however a couple of weeks ago, like the thread starter, I went for the first time in three years. They have a new fangled warm water high pressure blaster now which was absolutely fine and painless :thumbsup:

Bollocking for not using TePe brushes often enough taken on board and I am now trying to use them everyday.

Having been to the hygienist they allowed me to have my teeth checked by the dentist. An uncomfortable jabbing with what felt like a needle on my gums and a filling on a chipped tooth was all that required. I’ll make a point of going every six months again now.

I get charged £385 a year for two visits to the hygienist and two to the dentist, any work required gets a 20% discount on the rip off rates they charge. My wife used to be on the National Health there but after Covid they cancelled all NH treatment and everybody now needs to pay their rates. The chipped tooth rebuild which took about 45 mins was £180

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
$190 being about £80? And the rest! Nearer about £180.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
£120 x 2 a year. Prevention better than cure.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Do the rank and file of NSC regularly attend a dental Hygienist ...?? i haven't been for a while, what with fending off a few health issues and then covid cancelling everything , getting a new job and only being able to get late afternoon appointments at our dentist so , on thursday afternoon off i trotted to see Kelsey for the first time in almost 3 years , to my delight the rather plump and hirsute Kelsey had moved on to be replaced by the lovely , blonde , lithe Naomi. Well, Naomi's strength belied her looks and stature , jesus , i thought she was going to rip my teeth out with her hooks , barbs and scrapy things , the strength in her hands was how i imagine the grip of Lenny McLean in his prime , the things she did to me brought tears to my eyes and today i am on a soft diet.....she used a heavy gauge floss which felt like having a pillow case dragged through my teeth then "brushed/polished" my pegs with what felt like a poly vac floor sander....what an experience and surely a bargain at $190.00...?? probably about 80 of your British pounds , is this how much these sadistic bastards charge in the u.k...?? genuinely interested.Regards Syd.
Sorry - didn’t remember you were down under rather than across the pond.

how do you do multi-quotes on here?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. There’s two options at my dentist and the deeper clean, which goes below the gums, is quite brutal and requires my whole mouth to be numbed. Last time I had this done the anesthetic seemed to get into and affect my hearing which was odd and made me feel strange.

I’ve already lost two teeth and want to keep the rest; it doesn’t cost me anything so I figure it makes sense to get it done.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, my dentist is quite fit…and her female assistant has a huge tooth tattooed on her forearm.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
On the subject of teeth, I had 3 molars removed on Wednesday at St Richards. All under local anaesthetic.
To say I’ve had better mornings is a bit of an understatement.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I have always found this a bit odd. I have regular check ups (about every 9 months) with a dentist in Haywards Heath which I have used for many years. The check up appointment is 15 mins. He spends 5 mins maximum checking teeth and gums. Then 10 minutes cleaning teeth like I presume a hygienist would. No extra charge and have never been sent to a dedicated hygienist. Maybe I just have a good dentist?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I have always found this a bit odd. I have regular check ups (about every 9 months) with a dentist in Haywards Heath which I have used for many years. The check up appointment is 15 mins. He spends 5 mins maximum checking teeth and gums. Then 10 minutes cleaning teeth like I presume a hygienist would. No extra charge and have never been sent to a dedicated hygienist. Maybe I just have a good dentist?
A good hygienist is about 30mins by hand. I’m not convinced I’d pay myself but my work allowance covers a lot so I usually book in once a year

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
You’re very fortunate. Our dentist stopped doing the scale and polish as part of an NHS check-up years ago, and we get told every time to spend a lot on seeing the hygienist afterwards. I know the NHS reimbursements are so low - especially since all the added costs of COVID - that it’s not surprising they’re looking for the private work. Hate seeing the hygienist though. Invariably seems that once she’s chipped away at everything, I end up with really sensitive areas and issues that hadn’t been evident before!

scooter1

How soon is now?
I see the dentist when I receive the ‘it’s time for your check up request’. Despite being recommended seeing the hygienist, I have flatly refused on the grounds that I simply cannot afford £85 for a 20 min appointment, of which I’m told I’d need 4. So the dentist does a deep(ish) clean for about 60 quid and that keeps the wolf from the door. I know that if I didn’t go, I’d get struck off the NHS list, and it’d be unlikely I’ll find a new dentist to take me on

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
On the subject of teeth, I had 3 molars removed on Wednesday at St Richards. All under local anaesthetic.
To say I’ve had better mornings is a bit of an understatement.
Not nice ..hope those gums heal up well.

Broke my bridge last week…no smiling for me for the next few weeks ..although I fit in quite well for halloween

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
For the reason of the costs of Australian dentists a friend of mine who now lives in Adelaide flew back to Marbella to have extensive work completed by his old, trusted dentist, in Spain. The quote for work in Australia was for 24,000$AUS and the same work (implants etc.) in Spain was a touch under 5,000e.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Me too. My dentist really gets stuck in but he is extremely skillful so no pain involved. Tartar removed below the gum line. Every 6 months. £50-100 depending on the add ons.

Still, I have sturdy teeth - only one filling in my life.

Before I started using Sensodyne 30 years ago the teeth were very sensitive to cold and the hydrojet. Since then, doddle. Sensodyne really does seal the tiny channels that make the teeth sensitive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here