Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Delilah OUT

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Lou Reed stated it wasn't, he said it was far simpler, it really was genuinely about spending the day in the park with a beautiful girl drinking sangria then going home.
Thanks Bold, I had a feeling it wouldn't have got past the Children In Need censors, it was just it got mentioned in the pub at the time it was top of the hit parade.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Personally I’d ban it because it’s shite

Many better Tom Jones songs available than that one

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The thought of thousands of Stoke fans losing their minds over this makes me quite happy.

Couldn't give a monkey's what a choir sings tbh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In isolation I guess there’s an argument. But when viewed against the backdrop of welsh rugby board’s misogynistic, sexist and racist culture, which by their own admission needs addressing, I can understand why they might want to take this approach.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
The key to this story is that they have banned the official 'choir' from singing it, something they arrange and put on ahead of each game. It is their decision to make.

There is no indication or implication that they have any intention of banning fans or anyone out of their control singing it. Just the choir.
What! How am I supposed to get outraged enough to achieve a state of semi-tumescence now?

Quite literally been left hanging…

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
It's an odd song really, if you lsten to the lyrics. You won't stop fanss singing it (it will die out naturally in time), but can see the case for not having an official choir belting out a song about extreme domestic violence.

You obviosuly won't stop 'sweet chariot' either but does nobody else think its a bit weird to hear thousands of jolly-yah rugger buggers singing a song asking death to take them as a relief from the misery of slavery?

Oh and while I am at it -'baby it's cold outside' ... how CREEPY is that song?

Just observations - not demanding censorship or 'cancellation' btw. You think all this stuff is fine? Crack on.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
In isolation I guess there’s an argument. But when viewed against the backdrop of welsh rugby board’s misogynistic, sexist and racist culture, which by their own admission needs addressing, I can understand why they might want to take this approach.
This is absolutely the issue. Welsh rugby has serious issues that need resolving.

On the RFU/Sweet Chariot point, the RFU did put out publicity (including a documentary) seeking to 'educate' fans just over 2 years ago.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Funnily enough, Delilah is actually originally very loosely inspired by the bible, Judges 16. The lyric "I was lost like a slave that no man could free" is a reference to Samson being tied up.

The writers left out the bit 'Lulling Samson to sleep in her lap, Delilah alerted the Philistine rulers who waited in the shadows to capture him. They sheared Samson's hair and, in his newly weakened state, bound him, gouged out his eyes, and forced him to grind grain in the prison at Gaza'. Can't imagine why!
Maybe they replaced that bit with the instrumental break?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I definitely need better glasses, I opened this thred thinking it was Delia Smith leaving Norwich. Doh
No, this is your daily NSC dose of culture wars. Hopefully you checked your common sense in at the door and have been practicing the phrase "it's ridiculous".

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
No, this is your daily NSC dose of culture wars. Hopefully you checked your common sense in at the door and have been practicing the phrase "it's ridiculous".
I opened it, saw where it was heading and closed it again. filed it under "life is too short"

I only opened it again, because a little bell said you quoted me. (y)

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
There is absolutely no way trying to stop fans from singing a song has any chance whatsoever of working. In fact I suggest it would be sung even more often. So it should be too, how bloody precious is this country becoming. It’s not like it’s sung as anything vaguely racist.

As bad a Big Ears not being shown to sleep in the same bed as Noddy any more.
Bang on the money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here