Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defoe 130K a week

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
In excess of £26M for a guy (although proven) who is 35 in November, big gamble. A 3 year deal plus signing on fee, fantastic for Defoe.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They did the season before
But two years on is he going to be as good?

He's a proven goal scorer, but he can't go on forever and at that price, aren't there other proven goal scorers?
What's the expected deal in terms of transfer fee, signing on fee, and wages?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
But two years on is he going to be as good?

He's a proven goal scorer, but he can't go on forever and at that price, aren't there other proven goal scorers?
What's the expected deal in terms of transfer fee, signing on fee, and wages?
We don't know do we? But I think he's a pretty safe bet for 15+ goals.
His goal scoring record is good & he looks very fit. he looks like he could carry on for at least 2 more seasons. If his goals helps keep them up for just one season, financially Bournemouth are quids in.
We'll see.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Finished 10th last year , great effort and obviously want to push on, Howe could well do that as well.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm sure you know the TV income
I haven't got a clue how much Defoe will cost (transfer fee, signing on fee, and wages) - how can we judge whether Bournemouth are quids in unless we have a rough idea of the deal?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There was no transfer fee. Deal worth around 20 million over three years to Defoe.
Ok, thanks. If they get two decent years from him, that's £192k a week.

The question isn't whether the TV money can cover that amount, it's whether they could have got anyone better for that amount (eg, expensive transfer fee, high wages, but then selling the player after some years to recoup the transfer fee). I don't really know the market well enough to know, but you'd think there's a fair amount of options with that much money.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The interesting thing is that Defoe didn't score a premier league goal after 4th February, if I was paying that kind of money I'd want to be sure that a 35 year old is in form and banging goals in every week. One of the reasons they went down is they didn't score in 12 of the last 14 games and Defoe was part of the team

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The interesting thing is that Defoe didn't score a premier league goal after 4th February
What? I thought he guaranteed you goals?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not a done deal according to Times this morning. Deal stalled over agent's demand for £6m signing on fee.

In that case Defoe should sack his agent. £20M quid in wages over three years guaranteed, even though he might not be able to still play after one or two seasons, is a brilliant pension pot by any standards. Anything else is just greed. I really hope this is the agent's doing, not Defoe's: I have quite a good opinion of that young man, and I wouldn't want it tarnished.
Take the money, Jermaine, enjoy the final years of your playing career - and ditch the agent. You've got enough money now not to need him!

May 24, 2017
Defoe has confirmed that he's joining Bournemouth.... Sigh.... They scored 55 goals last season... add Defoes goals to that and well depressing isn't it?.... If we don't sign a quality goal scorer we'll struggle to score 20!!!

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Defoe has confirmed that he's joining Bournemouth.... Sigh.... They scored 55 goals last season... add Defoes goals to that and well depressing isn't it?.... If we don't sign a quality goal scorer we'll struggle to score 20!!!

Or his legs go in the first 6 months or his salary causes dressing room unrest and they have a massive albatross on their hands. This is how Pompey went bust.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not at all depressed by this. I think we'll get far better value elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Or his legs go in the first 6 months or his salary causes dressing room unrest and they have a massive albatross on their hands. This is how Pompey went bust.

Portsmouth went bust because they were owned by money-launderers whose source of cash dried up.

#twats

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here