Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Definitely not happening in Germany

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, not last night at least.

"KFC has apologised after sending a promotional message to customers in Germany, urging them to commemorate Kristallnacht with cheesy chicken."

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Looks like a very unfortunate error. What happens when you place 100% faith in technology.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is the sort of thing you'd imagine Gavin Williamson or Liz Truss* genuinely considering planning on a Whatsapp group. Then denying they said it. Then saying "it was a joke" after that lie was proven. Then being forced to resign when it was pointed out that even if it was a joke it was in terrible taste.

*or any other former or current cabinet member from the past 3 years, for that matter.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
As the article explains, they basically use software to send push notifications on pre-set “special dates”. They somehow missed that this particular date should not have been in that calendar…

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As the article explains, they basically use software to send push notifications on pre-set “special dates”. They somehow missed that this particular date should not have been in that calendar…
Although November 9th is the day David Hasselhof brought down the wall and re-unified Germany....so maybe they just got the reason confused as opposed to the date?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Although November 9th is the day David Hasselhof brought down the wall and re-unified Germany....so maybe they just got the reason confused as opposed to the date?
Could well be.

I just meant this was clearly an automation mistake, not someone in KFC’s social media team maliciously taunting the Jews. That would seem pretty far-fetched.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
KFC has apologised after sending a promotional message to customers in Germany, urging them to commemorate Kristallnacht with cheesy chicken."
Horrendously offensive to anyone’s family that lived through that (as my Grandparents did)

But heh, it is amusing in f***ed up sort of way - At least it wasn’t Everest offering a promotional discount on double glazing.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I do remember years ago, a marketing department of a large corporate insisted (and the argument was quite excitable) that every customers information was sent to their 'marketing partner' as they were far better at 'analysing data' than anything we had in-house. Except for the fact that they didn't analyse what the 'deceased indicator' meant :facepalm:

And I remember many years ago, talking to someone from 'readers digest' about the issues associated with processing a database of everybody they had ever had any contact with. He then said, 'then we have the big one' of everybody who hadn't had any contact with them.

It's an old joke for old IT people (y)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I do remember years ago, a marketing department of a large corporate insisted (and the argument was quite excitable) that every customers information was sent to their 'marketing partner' as they were far better at 'analysing data' than anything we had in-house. Except for the fact that they didn't analyse what the 'deceased indicator' meant :facepalm:

And I remember many years ago, talking to someone from 'readers digest' about the issues associated with processing a database of everybody they had ever had any contact with. He then said, 'then we have the big one' of everybody who hadn't had any contact with them.

It's an old joke for old IT people (y)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's all fine, then. :facepalm:

To become a senior manager these days requires that you have no idea how anything works. That's to save the space in the brain required to be able to bullshit your way into persuading the interview panel that you're the person for the gig.

I'm being interviewed for a senior management job on Monday (for a laugh). Wish me luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here