Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Define 'Crisis'

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
And then if you dig further into it you can find this info on how the data is collated from the 'End Child Poverty' website:

Source: End Child Poverty Coalition • This data is based on the DWP/HMRC statistics "Children in low income families: local area statistics" (March 2022). The statistics provides the number and percentage of children aged 0-15 years who are living in households with below 60% median income before housing costs. The data provided here uses the DWP/HMRC local indicators combined with information about housing costs at the local level to estimate poverty rates after housing costs.

Notes on how the data should be interpreted
The figures are based on the Department for Work and Pensions Children in low income families: local area statistics which estimates the poverty rate before housing costs. A statistical model is used to estimate child poverty after housing costs which draws on household survey data alongside local area statistics on private rent levels. The statistics are calibrated to regional 3-year averages from Households Below Average Income (HBAI) for the financial years 2018/19 to 2020/21. The HBAI figures for 2020/21 are less reliable than earlier years due to sampling issues related to the pandemic. This should be kept in mind when interpreting the statistics released today, but the impact is lessened by the use of three-year averages for regional figures. More information on HBAI is available here.
Users are advised that the data for individual local authorities and parliamentary constituencies are subject to small statistical fluctuations year-on-year and should be considered within the context of the regional or the longer-term local trend.

So, Govt data (patchy due to the pandemic) manipulated by a model. Who knows :shrug:

To be fair though if even one child is in poverty that's one too many for my liking.
Yes, in sum, some people use absolute poverty when thinking of it, but the standard register is relative poverty, which is as you've relayed: 60% of the median income. Poverty and child poverty are difficult to address but there was a sustained and substantial fall between 1997 and 2010, and a subsequent sustained and substantial rise since then. I can't quite put my finger on what could have caused this.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
For example, I don’t make any charge for a standard child’s funeral (Under 18), yet on occasions in recent years I’ve gone to see families who would be perceived to be in the ‘poverty trap’, yet they’ve all got mobile phones, nice big tellys, games consuls, a lot chain smoke or smoke other substances not available on the open market.

Why, cry so many public moralists, do people continue to spend money on TVs when they should be feeding their kids? In this cry television becomes both a symbol of the sterility of the working class, their minds apparently dulled by endless repeats and reality TV, and also of their irresponsibility. Yet the relative affordability of TV sets was brought back to me recently when a friend’s home was burgled, and despite them making off with sunglasses and a Dyson fan, the TV remained were it had always been. You can purchase a new flat-screen TV from Argos for a little over £100, and 55″ smart TVs are for sale, on hire purchase, for less than £15 a month. And for your money you get access to a huge range of cultural and entertainment programming.

From this: https://tribunemag.co.uk/2021/06/on-benefits-and-big-tvs

It's a good read.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Why, cry so many public moralists, do people continue to spend money on TVs when they should be feeding their kids? In this cry television becomes both a symbol of the sterility of the working class, their minds apparently dulled by endless repeats and reality TV, and also of their irresponsibility. Yet the relative affordability of TV sets was brought back to me recently when a friend’s home was burgled, and despite them making off with sunglasses and a Dyson fan, the TV remained were it had always been. You can purchase a new flat-screen TV from Argos for a little over £100, and 55″ smart TVs are for sale, on hire purchase, for less than £15 a month. And for your money you get access to a huge range of cultural and entertainment programming.

It's a good read.
Fun fact August 2009 the last factory that made TVs in the UK closed in Swansea.

An Item which appears in almost every household in the UK, yet we stopped making them over a decade ago.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Fun fact August 2009 the last factory that made TVs in the UK closed in Swansea.

An Item which appears in almost every household in the UK, yet we stopped making them over a decade ago.
Gap in the market there for an enterprising person. Not me. I'm too busy watching the TV to make one.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

It's a good read.
When they talk about poverty, they often quote the number of children whose parents can't afford to give them breakfast. And if you can't even afford the price of bread and jam or porridge, which can be done for £1 a week, then you can't afford an expensive TV - stick with the cheapie from Argos.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ukraine is tragedy, this winter is going to be absolutely horrendous.

But it still doesn't make it any better to what this corrupt cabal have done to our nation since 2015

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ukraine is tragedy, this winter is going to be absolutely horrendous.

But it still doesn't make it any better to what this corrupt cabal have done to our nation since 2015
No, but I'm sure the people of Ukraine would happily swap their 'crisis' for our's, and think themselves in clover!

Reactions: abc

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
When they talk about poverty, they often quote the number of children whose parents can't afford to give them breakfast. And if you can't even afford the price of bread and jam or porridge, which can be done for £1 a week, then you can't afford an expensive TV - stick with the cheapie from Argos.
What about people who already own a TV who have slipped into poverty? Are they allowed to keep it? Do they have to sell it to buy jam and bread?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Perhaps, just maybe, they once bought an 'expensive' TV (although we have no evidence for this) and their circumstances have changed. You know, like their energy bills may have gone up?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here