Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Defecting MP,s.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
FWIW yes, I think there probably should be a bi-election, but TBH of all the things I would like to change if I suddenly ruled the world, this would be a very, very long way down my priorities!

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Agree that there should 100% be a by-election. Seems like that would be a foregone conclusion though.

I would imagine this defection means that Labour are attracting a lot of Tory voters if they are even attracting their MPs. Lovely to see. All welcome!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Demonstrates a lack of principles IMHO. Just ends up looking like a guy who wants to cling on to the trappings of power for its own sake

Or someone who starts to realise they no longer share the same values as when they joined a party .... Are this current bunch of "Tory's " really Tory's ? So many loons, nutters and outright liars these days he probably feels out of place.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The system is a mess and Wakeford has exposed that. It is extremely rare for someone to cross the floor to another party so diametrically opposite to the one they left cause normally they resign the whip and become independent or join a party not as opposite which normally means the Libdems are the ones that benefit from either side.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Demonstrates a lack of principles IMHO. Just ends up looking like a guy who wants to cling on to the trappings of power for its own sake

I politely disagree, for the reasons mentioned above. Mainly it's how the system works.

We don't have an election when a party breaks a manifesto promise and (especially at the moment) vast numbers of numbers of MPs are lying through their teeth about what they really think any way.

When MPs ignore voting advice and get the whip withdrawn they are effectively independents anyway and can vote with the opposition ( or Government ).

To be consistent, you'd have to call a by-election under such circumstances too.

It's the risk you take when you vote under first past the post innit.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Or someone who starts to realise they no longer share the same values as when they joined a party .... Are this current bunch of "Tory's " really Tory's ? So many loons, nutters and outright liars these days he probably feels out of place.

This is more likely the truth bearing in mind the Tories promised the levelling up, a successful Brexit, a new railway from Leeds to Manchester and haven't delivered anything.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is more likely the truth bearing in mind the Tories promised the levelling up, a successful Brexit, a new railway from Leeds to Manchester and haven't delivered anything.

To quote James O'Brien you can (technically) deliver a turd through a letterbox.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ok its a politics thread but i am asking from the democratic/democracy point in which all MP,s tell us that they believe in ? Then surely switching from one party to another during a sitting government term should automatically mean a By-election. This is not just about today but over the years. We keep hearing about clearing up politics/Westminster then surely this must be high up the list. :thumbsup:

And yet again it comes back to voters should be voting for the PERSON not the ROSETTE. Was he good MP ? If so what does it matter what party he belongs to ?

Jan 30, 2008
Ok its a politics thread but i am asking from the democratic/democracy point in which all MP,s tell us that they believe in ? Then surely switching from one party to another during a sitting government term should automatically mean a By-election. This is not just about today but over the years. We keep hearing about clearing up politics/Westminster then surely this must be high up the list. :thumbsup:

Of course , especially as this particular MP wanted a by election law in place for the same thing that he's just done :wanker:

Regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008
Look at all the other Clowns who defected over Brexit, all removed at the next General election the silent majority will have their say

Regards
DF

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
CW is an example of awful integrity an even worse one is the Labour party that accepted him in.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How does it actually work? Does the MP physically get up and go to the other side? I'm sure I've seen that before.

And what about their new party - do they know what's going to happen? Is there a transfer window and do they have to pay a fee? And where does the newbie sit?

I'm both fascinated and not fussed by the whole thing, to be honest!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Should be a by-election purely because his constituents have now lost their voice within the ruling party. They stood more chance of being listened to by the government yesterday than they do today and for the rest of this parliament.

Yeap. should be a by-election

But also of Johnson goes he should call a GE, the Tories do this again and again when a civil war errupts

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How does it actually work? Does the MP physically get up and go to the other side? I'm sure I've seen that before.

And what about their new party - do they know what's going to happen? Is there a transfer window and do they have to pay a fee? And where does the newbie sit?

I'm both fascinated and not fussed by the whole thing, to be honest!

I think that's exactly what he did at PMQ's, he got up and went and sat with the opposition.

As for the new party, apparently he has joined after 4 months of discussions. Obviously neither the individual nor the party want to join if they don't align on principles. I think he approached them first that he wasn't happy, then informally met someone weekly thereafter.

As [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] points out above, you vote for your representative in parliament, not the rosette. Governments can be formed of members, not necessarily parties hence we can have coalitions. A general election is there to vote out your constituency MP, not sure I agree a byelection should be triggered if a member decides to leave a party whether to join another or be an independent.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Should be a by-election purely because his constituents have now lost their voice within the ruling party. They stood more chance of being listened to by the government yesterday than they do today and for the rest of this parliament.

None of us actually get to vote on whether we have a voice in the ruling party or not when we come to vote, so don't see how that is relevant?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here