Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Defecting MP,s.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I think we should have a general election when a PM either resigns or gets removed. I'm also not a fan of the head of the party who gets the most representatives is in charge, so we never actually vote for our prime minister. I vote for my local representative.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
MPs are voted in primarily to serve their constituents. If Christian Wakeford feels this is now best served by being a member of the Labour Party then so be it. If the people of Bury want him out they can vote him out at the next general election.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Without wishing to trigger to many lefty blowhards, I’m certainly not looking for the usual foul mouthed, Leftwaffe pile on.
I believe that crossing the floor should automatically be followed by a by-election. The good people of Bury south elected a Conservative to represent them, if he has any decency about him he should call one.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Without wishing to trigger to many lefty blowhards, I’m certainly not looking for the usual foul mouthed, Leftwaffe pile on.
I believe that crossing the floor should automatically be followed by a by-election. The good people of Bury south elected a Conservative to represent them, if he has any decency about him he should call one.

So did the good people of Wakefield but their Conservative MP is on remand for allegedly sexually assaulting a boy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The good people of Bury south elected a Conservative to represent them, if he has any decency about him he should call one.

You talk of decency. If the leader of our country shows zero decency then how can we expect anything more from the other 649 MPs? It starts at the top. That's the whole point.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Those on bail awaiting trial for an allegation of sexual assault are innocent until proven guilty and should be treated as such.

I'm sure you were aware of that though.

Of course, but he’s still not representing them whilst on remand, is he?

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
That's what's wrong with our system. People voting party rather than who is best for the job.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I think we should have a general election when a PM either resigns or gets removed. I'm also not a fan of the head of the party who gets the most representatives is in charge, so we never actually vote for our prime minister. I vote for my local representative.

Not sure that's a good idea. In reality, the ruling party would be much less likely to remove the PM in a situation like this and we'd be stuck with them

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's what's wrong with our system. People voting party rather than who is best for the job.

Why is that bad? Are you voting for what is just good for your neighbourhood or do you vote for what you think is best for the country?

I don't agree with FPTP but even with PR you would still mainly vote for who you want to run the country. The problem last time was that it was a choice of Corbyn or Johnson.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Those on bail awaiting trial for an allegation of sexual assault are innocent until proven guilty and should be treated as such.

I'm sure you were aware of that though.

I salute your even-handedness.

When did that start?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm of the opinion that there should be a by-election in these circumstances.

If he loses then at the next GE the local Labour party can then select a candidate. As it stands it would be difficult to deselect him. If he wins a by-election as the Labour candidate then it's sort of OK ish. /

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm of the opinion that there should be a by-election in these circumstances.

If he loses then at the next GE the local Labour party can then select a candidate. As it stands it would be difficult to deselect him. If he wins a by-election as the Labour candidate then it's sort of OK ish. /

But he’d still be standing in the by-election as the Labour candidate but not selected by the local party. So there’s no ideal solution to it. At the moment he has at least been selected by his constituents and already defeated whoever the local Labour Party previously selected.

If my MP Peter Kyle defected I’d be very pissed off about it, however I’m not sure I’d feel I needed to be called to the ballot box over it, only to be called again for the next GE. I don’t see why it can’t wait? In actual fact given all MPs effectively stand down ahead of a GE, it would be easier for the local party to deselect him then.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
But he’d still be standing in the by-election as the Labour candidate but not selected by the local party. So there’s no ideal solution to it. At the moment he has at least been selected by his constituents and already defeated whoever the local Labour Party previously selected.

If my MP Peter Kyle defected I’d be very pissed off about it, however I’m not sure I’d feel I needed to be called to the ballot box over it, only to be called again for the next GE. I don’t see why it can’t wait? In actual fact given all MPs effectively stand down ahead of a GE, it would be easier for the local party to deselect him then.

It's been particularly messy in Bury South though. What with the Ivan Lewis stuff. I realise that in principle you vote for the candidate rather than the party but most people don't think of it that way. I wasn't even remotely tempted to vote for the Lib Dem in Hove last time around (even though she used to play bass in The Wedding Present ... Something I am broadly I favour of).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here