Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Decking? What is the ******* point of it?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The lovely wife is adamant that they scare off the pigeons, so they don’t settle in the trees, and shit on the decking.

It doesn’t.

:thumbsup:

I hung old CDs round the garden last spring to keep the pigeons off my wild flower seedlings.

Difference made? Zero. (Except I wasted a Sunday afternoon hanging old CDs round the garden).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Similar. This thread is WEIRD. Nothing wrong with decking in SOME places. We have some paving off the back of the house, but a small deck at the very bottom of the garden, that works just fine for us. The garden slopes down a couple of feet in the space of that last three yards, so it’s by far the easiest solution. :shrug:

View attachment 122136

Bit concerned for whoever has been trapped in the shed by ramming a chair under the handle.

Anyway. 2-3. FFS.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I completed the framework for my deck 2 years ago and have 1100 linear m of decking in my shed to put down. Looks like it will happen over the next couple of weeks now, hope I have enough screws.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Out of interest, does anybody know what the price difference is between decking and a patio per sq/m? I need to get something like this done this year and would prefer a patio (backed up by most comments on this thread).

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm building a patio right now, it's 49m sq and has cost about £2.1k in materials, quote from a builder to do it was £4.7k. It's taken me about 2 weeks thus far and while I am a complete amateur, it is time consuming, you've got to dig down to the earth's crust for starters. It's technically and physically quite challenging for many reasons but probably most pertinently because, obviously, the ground and then your slabs have got to be level but with a slight fall away from your house...

I'm then going to be building a couple of raised decked areas on sloping land, about 15m sq each, will cost a few hundred and I'll knock them up in a couple of days. Comparatively speaking, an absolute piece of wee. If you built it out of the right timber, it will last....

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I definitely wouldn't have decking after going belly up at a house I was working at.
The home owner was outside and I needed to speak to him, I took one step outside his back door and immediately slipped, I couldn't speak for a while as I was winded, and I had a bad back for weeks.

Where there’s a blame, there’s a claim!

https://images.app.goo.gl/iymaBLAJz7T6ZQqKA

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have a particular dislike of mass paving of properties, in fact it should be illegal to solidly block natural drainage from more than 50% of your property IMO. it makes houses look no better than multi storey car parks and causes flooding.

we have a small deck in our garden, made of 10" x 5" solid oak sleepers. It serves primarily as shade to a large natural pond, and helps it maintain a good balance. it also, with big gaps it also drains evenly. We do have a block paved drive but its less than 50% of the front garden, the rest of which is another small pond and wild flowers/shrubs. The drive is nearly 17 years old now. If I was doing it again I'd use some of the holey stuff that lets grass grow through for better drainage and a more natural look . . .without the car sinking!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I get the point of decks if you live on the side of a mountain and don't want your tinnie falling over . . . or say in Australia you want to keep deadly snakes and spiders close by, but healthily shaded and ready to pounce.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I have a particular dislike of mass paving of properties, in fact it should be illegal to solidly block natural drainage from more than 50% of your property IMO. it makes houses look no better than multi storey car parks and causes flooding.

I kind of agree - It's particularly sad to see all the front gardens that have disappeared for the ridiculous number of cars households have....

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
As mentioned elsewhere, I'm building a patio right now, it's 49m sq and has cost about £2.1k in materials, quote from a builder to do it was £4.7k. It's taken me about 2 weeks thus far and while I am a complete amateur, it is time consuming, you've got to dig down to the earth's crust for starters. It's technically and physically quite challenging for many reasons but probably most pertinently because, obviously, the ground and then your slabs have got to be level but with a slight fall away from your house...

I'm then going to be building a couple of raised decked areas on sloping land, about 15m sq each, will cost a few hundred and I'll knock them up in a couple of days. Comparatively speaking, an absolute piece of wee. If you built it out of the right timber, it will last....

This actually doesn’t sound like an absolute piece of wee to me.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
You’re a better man than me. I couldn’t risk spending £2.1k on materials only to risk laying it unevenly or with gaps in between the slabs. They’re the sort of mistakes I’d make. Useful to know the costs involved though as that’s one hell of a patio.

To fully prepare the area, lay a base ( Type 1 mot) ,and lay the slabs generally costs between £90 and £100 per square metre. That is for a standard slab ( Indian sandstone or similar), and includes materials.
Costs will increase if access is difficult, or if there is a large amount of soil to remove.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
I inherited decking backing onto our house which I dislike too for all the reasons outlined in this thread but have been put off other options due to their very high cost (it's some 50 sq. m. with a three foot drop beneath).

The thread has prompted me to think laterally, however, and I've come up with what I think is a brilliant and cheapish compromise!

How about putting artificial grass over the existing decking? Solves a lot of its inherent problems and would look a lot better than the decking. Also must be much, much cheaper!

Any views on that option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Last summer we ripped up the decking that we inherited when we moved in. All the reasons outlined above - ridiculously slippy (and crossing it was the only way out into the garden), starting to come loose and the timbers underneath were rotting. We wrongly took a punt that there would be concrete underneath (as we could see there was in places), unfortunately it really is a mess and we don't have the money to do any more to it right now. Still better than the decking though.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I inherited decking backing onto our house which I dislike too for all the reasons outlined in this thread but have been put off other options due to their very high cost (it's some 50 sq. m. with a three foot drop beneath).

The thread has prompted me to think laterally, however, and I've come up with what I think is a brilliant and cheapish compromise!

How about putting artificial grass over the existing decking? Solves a lot of its inherent problems and would look a lot better than the decking. Also must be much, much cheaper!

Any views on that option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artificial grass and Decking??? the NSC lemmings will all be on you soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here