Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Decking? What is the ******* point of it?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Thank you, that’s really useful info. The area I’m looking at is about 4 metres x 4.5 metres so it sounds like £2k is about right for standard slabs. It’s currently mud/lawn so it’s flat, but I guess I will need to remove some soil.

Yes, approx 125mm of grass and soil will have to be removed to allow for a decent base.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In the next road to me the women has completely decked her front garden and has a small shed where she keeps two goats and it’s right on the road not set back..... it’s lovely like a mini kids zoo.... The goats are called Lenny and Lewis.

boik

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm building a patio right now, it's 49m sq and has cost about £2.1k in materials, quote from a builder to do it was £4.7k. It's taken me about 2 weeks thus far and while I am a complete amateur, it is time consuming, you've got to dig down to the earth's crust for starters. It's technically and physically quite challenging for many reasons but probably most pertinently because, obviously, the ground and then your slabs have got to be level but with a slight fall away from your house...

I'm then going to be building a couple of raised decked areas on sloping land, about 15m sq each, will cost a few hundred and I'll knock them up in a couple of days. Comparatively speaking, an absolute piece of wee. If you built it out of the right timber, it will last....

I presume you mean 49sq m (7mx7m), otherwise that's half a football pitch and you've got an absolute bargain!

If we didn't have it with a fence at the ene we would have a 3m or so wide lawn followed by a steep bank down to a stream. OK now but not so good when we moved in with a 3 and 4 year old.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Apparently, most patios are 9m2. I've built one that size and am half way through another. Here's the before and after photos of the completed one.

Attachments

• Pat 1.JPG
    Pat 1.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Pat2.JPG
    Pat2.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 120

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You’re a better man than me. I couldn’t risk spending £2.1k on materials only to risk laying it unevenly or with gaps in between the slabs. They’re the sort of mistakes I’d make. Useful to know the costs involved though as that’s one hell of a patio.

Thing is, your major cost in the slabs so if it really isn't going well then you put your slabs to one side, abandon ship and get a pro in. You'll still have saved money if you've dug out and laid the sub base yourself....

To add - I found it a massive amount of time and effort to get the base right but if you do that bit well, everything that follows is easier. I think.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thing is, your major cost in the slabs so if it really isn't going well then you put your slabs to one side, abandon ship and get a pro in. You'll still have saved money if you've dug out and laid the sub base yourself....

To add - I found it a massive amount of time and effort to get the base right but if you do that bit well, everything that follows is easier. I think.

Absolutely. The second paragraph is very true. Get that very first slab laid exactly spot on. It will determine how the rest will follow.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
My neighbour built decking which was up to ground floor level and overlooking our garden as well as giving vies into our ground floor and not far from an upstairs bedroom.

They had no planning permission so had to apply retrospectively and it was passed with the proviso that they put a screen up so that they cannot see into our house. Very noisy when they sit out and chat at night. Will see if I can post pictures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here