Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Death threats to a referee we love to hate

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Everyone should condemn this threat whatever you think of him as a referee.

But are the individual refs the issue personally i don't think so. IMO the issue is the system that allows them to continue IF they are not up to it. There is enough video evidence around and surely stats are collected.

Now putting my conspiracy cap on , possibly the more contentious decisions become then the more likely the TV audience to react and increase interest in the televised game. I am quite sure there are plenty of armchair, sort of neutral football fans who love VAR.

The PGMOL is a closed shop with seemingly no accountability. Referees never admit mistakes and never explain their reasoning and that is all down to the poor leadership.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Referees can seemingly make glaring mistakes and still be allowed to referee in the Premier League without being pulled up by the ruling body, the situaion is farcicle and demeans the product the FA are promoting to the detriment of us the fans.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Referees can seemingly make glaring mistakes and still be allowed to referee in the Premier League without being pulled up by the ruling body, the situaion is farcicle and demeans the product the FA are promoting to the detriment of us the fans.

Not just one, 3 absolute howlers in the last 7 days.
He’s incompetent and needs sacking.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

D

Deleted member 2719

There is a certain inner ring of people in this world who are protected, however far they cross the line.

There must be masons involved.

I worked under a manager who was a referee, he would strut his stuff all day long, which was fine, but when you put ideas forward to that type, they take it as insulting and not helpful, closed minds is an understatement.

Anybody with an overall sense of power just needs to step back at times to check their performance, I am personally always hard on myself.

Let's face it we should all learn by mistakes.

Death threats are way over the top though.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
M1k3 D3an done us a favour, long term. The following season was superb, we effectively had a two season run of goals and wins in the championship , a wonderful era none of us will ever forget. Boro sctratched around to about 30 points, relegated with barely a whimper and they haven't been remotely close to returning.

Death threats are over the top, he should just be sacked.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought he’d just got hold of my fantasy football team sheet and was determined to get me off the top of the family league.

It’s a shame that FPL don’t give me back the points I’ve lost from his incorrect sendings off in the last week!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
What if the sending off isn't Mike Deans fault? Bear with me, he's a **** but it still might not be his fault. I've had this theory for a while this season. If you watch a game, a ref gives a decision and then var ref says, take a look at the monitor. 99% of the time the decision is changed from what the ref initially gave. The one exception is the March handball, I can't remember who against. So, have the refs been told that if they are asked to go to the monitor they should change their decision? Or, by being called over, do they feel obligated to change it?

No way should him or his family be threatened but he's still a ****.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Death threats are way over the top.

He still needs to be sacked tho.

No shit
I'd love to know the mentality of a fully grown adult who a) becomes so irate over football to take things that far and b) thinks it's absolutely fine to threaten an individual and their family in that way.

There are some ****ing mad people out there, and social media has highlighted just how many, unfortunately

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Like most people have no fondness for MD (although he actually comes across as a good bloke on the Quickly Kevin pod).

He's had a particularly poor week by anyones standards. HOWEVER - unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a string of top class refs queuing up outside the PGMOL to sign up. Its been long acknowledged that there's a shortage of refs at grass roots football for a variety of reasons (primarily linked to abuse), and that inevitably feeds through to the top levels as well, particularly as more officials than ever are now needed in order to help fill up the leaky prefab at Stockton Park for every PL game.

Howling "SACK HIM" after he's f*cked up is not going to improve the situation for anyone.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
As much as it hurts to say , the CaUS had a really tough call , Mitrovic as you`d expect sold it well and it did look for all intent that it was a red . However considering his propensity for red cards it`s understandable that he pisses everyone off , and because he never played at any level he`s STILL unaware of the nuances of the average player or the game . Hence imho he will continue to get big decisions wrong because he sees himself as flawless .

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I can't stand they guy, was at Boro' and am fed up with his theatrical antics .... however, this is going way beyond that and isn't acceptable in any shape or form. Even if he awarded a late penalty against us in a Cup Final or anything else, this isn't acceptable in our game and is extremely unfair and worrying for him and his family

Agree with this.

I was at Boro as well and hated him with a passion after that game. Nothing I’ve seen of him since has made me change my mind. He’s a look at me prat.

But this is just not on. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone in what is only a game of football. Perspectives....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
No shit
I'd love to know the mentality of a fully grown adult who a) becomes so irate over football to take things that far and b) thinks it's absolutely fine to threaten an individual and their family in that way.

There are some ****ing mad people out there, and social media has highlighted just how many, unfortunately
This is what don't get. I get angry and shout at the TV but the last thing on my mind is to go on social media and threaten someone's family.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is what don't get. I get angry and shout at the TV but the last thing on my mind is to go on social media and threaten someone's family.

Its probably because you are not a cretinous, moronic, slack-jawed keyboard warrior with a dick like a budgies tongue.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Sounds like you support or at least don`t condemn this disgraceful behaviour !! Death threats over a decision in a game of football !!

no mate not at all , social media like a lot of other elements of contemporary society is out of control and death threats to a referee over a game of football are really not on ........he is however a nauseating bell end who has ruined many a good game and his last 2 red cards rescinded should tell the league that he is due a rest ....:thumbsup:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Having two red cards cancelled should tell us something, particularly in these days of video assistance.
Social Media is just way out of hand, it beats me why anyone takes any notice of it. Do other refs go home and check Facebook and Twitter to see what is being said about them?
It is just so easy to rush to the phone and punch out an angry message , that reaches the subject and is there in print. Have we not left the ground sometimes muttering “ I could have killed that referee “
Not to condone it, Yes, find them and prosecute.
My comments. A person in the public eye is a fool if they open themselves to social media. Leave it alone.
Social media accounts have to be verified as real names with addresses supplied . That would stop a lot.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Having two red cards cancelled should tell us something, particularly in these days of video assistance.
Social Media is just way out of hand, it beats me why anyone takes any notice of it. Do other refs go home and check Facebook and Twitter to see what is being said about them?
It is just so easy to rush to the phone and punch out an angry message , that reaches the subject and is there in print. Have we not left the ground sometimes muttering “ I could have killed that referee “
Not to condone it, Yes, find them and prosecute.
My comments. A person in the public eye is a fool if they open themselves to social media. Leave it alone.
Social media accounts have to be verified as real names with addresses supplied . That would stop a lot.

Probably more likely is someone else reported it to police, and the police/club have then contacted him to let him know. It finds you without you having to look for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here