Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Death of a close relative at Christmas

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Not the happiest headline, and I’m sorry about that.

At the weekend my uncle, like a second father to me, unexpectedly and suddenly passed away. At the top of my ‘to do’ list was that I owed him a call. We were also planning to visit him. Apart from my immediate family, no one had been in my corner the whole of my life from day 1, literally day 1. I started writing out a list of all the things he had done for me, it was a long list and too difficult to carry on writing.

I got the call during the final on Sunday and suddenly none of that mattered anymore.

I lost my father a few years ago but he was very ill and when he died it was a merciful release, but my uncle was full of life and really switched on. He had a good innings and I know that life is always finite, but it leaves an enormous hole.

I know that time does heal to a degree but right now it feels incredibly raw and celebrating during the next week or two will be very difficult.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’d pick my mother in Law.

Oops edit: sorry for your loss.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Sorry for your loss. I sort of know what it's like at this time of year as my father nearly died 10 days ago with PE's (blood clots) and has been in hospital since. I know it's no consolation but your not alone. Remember the good times you had. Best wishes.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Sorry for your loss.

I'm sure its raw now but given time it will be a time to look back at this time of year and reflect on the person and the memories.

That's what I'm planning to do about my Nan who passed away 8 years ago tomorrow. Christmas for me now means a time of celebration in many ways more

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

At the weekend my uncle, like a second father to me, unexpectedly and suddenly passed away. At the top of my ‘to do’ list was that I owed him a call. We were also planning to visit him. Apart from my immediate family, no one had been in my corner the whole of my life from day 1, literally day 1. I started writing out a list of all the things he had done for me, it was a long list and too difficult to carry on writing.

I got the call during the final on Sunday and suddenly none of that mattered anymore.

I lost my father a few years ago but he was very ill and when he died it was a merciful release, but my uncle was full of life and really switched on. He had a good innings and I know that life is always finite, but it leaves an enormous hole.

I know that time does heal to a degree but right now it feels incredibly raw and celebrating during the next week or two will be very difficult.
Sorry to hear. Understand your feelings entirely, my MIL took her own life just before Christmas…..won’t feel like it now but as they say time is a great healer.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Sorry to hear about your loss. Had a similar experience, it is very difficult. Just try to get through the next few days the best you can.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sorry for your loss and it must be a shock. Give yourself time to grieve but don't feel guilty if you want to enjoy some of Christmas. Your uncle wouldn't want you to be unhappy.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Sorry for your loss.

You're right that events such as that put things firmly in perspective. Make the most of family (if you like them) while they're here, folks!

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Sorry to hear that, but if it’s any help the years go by and it does get easier.

Many years ago My MIL had a stroke on my birthday. She spent the next 6 months in near vegetive state in a care home. On Christmas day the same year she died at 13:30, so every year now a toast is raised between main course and dessert.

I also lost my G Mother on a Boxing Day and my other G Mother on New Year’s eve.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
My father died 12th December 1996 and my father-in-law 20th December 1999.

In both cases their presents were wrapped & ready to go under the tree.

While all family bereavements are tragic, this time of year is especially bad.

Keep close to the rest of your family & think of the good times you all had.

In my experience the grief won't go away (I still have dreams that I am talking to my father) but it will slowly fade as the rest of your normal life kicks in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I feel your pain, my grandfather died on 24 December and my father on 28 Dec, both sudden and unexpected. My parents were round for a pre Christmas dinner on 22 December and my father was on fine form. I took comfort that I’d seen him so close to his sudden death, but it was heartbreaking, more so for my Mum who survived him by over 20 years. Condolences :confused:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Sorry to hear this news.
Loss like you’ve described is very hard to accept.
Thoughts with your family at this time.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Deepest condolences @PeterT ...

Bereavement is tough and made especially worse at this time of year when joy, kindness, laughter and happiness are supposed to be the theme.
I can only hope that you find happy memories to smile about and with the help of healing time, can look back with good memories of a life you shared.

SteveU

May 31, 2022
My Dad passed away 3 years ago on Boxing Day, still feels and hurts like yesterday.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’m very sorry to everyone who has lost loved ones. Christmas has and will never be the same since Dad died; I am thankful every day for the time I have with loved ones, but especially over Christmas.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
So sorry for your loss, lost my mum 23rd January this year and tomorrow would have been her 76th birthday…. One of my staff lost her mum last week, my boss lost his mother in law the next day and a cousin 2 days ago

Condolences to you and family

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Sorry for your loss but be blessed that you have so many fond memories to sustain you going forwards.
This is the first Christmas that me and the missus are the old’uns. My mum was the last of her generation to go earlier in the year. I hope we are remembered by the family as fondly as your uncle is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here