Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Dear Rishi Sunak...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Next time you look your daughters in the eye, know that you totally f***ed their future for them.

1695217318576.png

Don't play with the future of the planet.

Plus, we are trying to invest in this country as leaders in alternative energies, electric car manufacturing etc. NOT the lagards.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Next time you look your daughters in the eye, know that you totally f***ed their future for them.

View attachment 166716

Plus, we are trying to invest in this country as leaders in alternative energies, electr car manufacturing etc. NOT lagards.
Who cares about daughters? Who cares about the planet? ULEZ proved there's votes to be won with culture war wedge issues, plus think of all the tory party donations from big oil which are now secured

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Maybe when the largest polluting countries with far more output than the UK do something, then the UK can too.

Why should we have to pay huge prices for 2nd electric cars compared to petrol ones and expensive home heating pumps instead of gas boilers.

Also , need millions more working electric vehicle chargers first.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
only surprise here is the policy change has come so soon, thought they'd leave it for Labour to tackle. i didn't expect us to meet the 2030 ICE ban and gas boiler targets as they are too ambitious. its dressed up as a political switch, the dirty secret is there isnt enough electric generation coming through to achieve the aims. expect it will be further delayed in 5 or so years when EU push their deadlines back beyond 2035, as they have the same fundemental problem. we're all trying to build out a doubling of capacity while transitioning existing capacity, in 7-12 years.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Maybe when the largest polluting countries with far more output than the UK do something, then the UK can too.

Why should we have to pay huge prices for 2nd electric cars compared to petrol ones and expensive home heating pumps instead of gas boilers.

Spot on (y)

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Ah yes that'll stop the climate crisis. Just wait until everyone else goes first and then we'll stop polluting, got loads of time for that.

FFS all the right-wing rhetoric around Brexit places Britain as attempting to be a world-leader post-Brexit but in reality we should just sit and wait for other countries to go first.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
only surprise here is the policy change has come so soon, thought they'd leave it for Labour to tackle. i didn't expect us to meet the 2030 ICE ban and gas boiler targets as they are too ambitious. its dressed up as a political switch, the dirty secret is there isnt enough electric generation coming through to achieve the aims. expect it will be further delayed in 5 or so years when EU push their deadlines back beyond 2035, as they have the same fundemental problem. we're all trying to build out a doubling of capacity while transitioning existing capacity, in 7-12 years.
Spot on.

You may have noticed how many EV charging points are covered up with black sacks (including 4 or 5 charging points in the car park at the Cricketers - yes, there again). They've installed them months ago, painted the tarmac to restrict the spaces to EV's only, but they have NEVER been operational. Because the local electricity grid would not be able to supply the juice without blacking out half of Southwick, Shoreham and Portslade. GENIUS!

And this is a nationwide issue. The infrastructure is simply not in place for a mass-switch to EVs, and won't be any time soon. I like the idea of an EV, but if I was travelling more than a couple of hundred miles then I'd be sweating cobs about finding a charger thats actually operating (and not being stuck behind a queue of cars waiting to plug in to it).

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think that the infrastructure is better than many might think and I also think that the way the infrastructure will improve is through necessity and investment. I don't think the way to do it is to dissuade the big market players from making the strategic, longer term investments in their EV programme. We should be targeting any company who wants to invest in their EV range and wants to invest in the UK. I have absolutely no idea why every car in Ireland and Isle of Wight and Isle of Man aren't electric already. Surely it wouldn't take a huge amount of infrastucture investment to put charger ports where they need to be in order to ensure that range is never a concern and there must be some inherent value in recycling their existing cars?

I think the government needs to be a leader on this and not a passive follower.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

View attachment 166716

Plus, we are trying to invest in this country as leaders in alternative energies, electr car manufacturing etc. NOT lagards.
I doubt he’s too worried . He always seems to have a big smile on his face . I wonder why .

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
Apparently Govt are keen to rebrand this as Net Zero Intelligence as they feel they are already delivering this very successfully.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Spot on.

You may have noticed how many EV charging points are covered up with black sacks (including 4 or 5 charging points in the car park at the Cricketers - yes, there again). They've installed them months ago, painted the tarmac to restrict the spaces to EV's only, but they have NEVER been operational. Because the local electricity grid would not be able to supply the juice without blacking out half of Southwick, Shoreham and Portslade. GENIUS!

And this is a nationwide issue. The infrastructure is simply not in place for a mass-switch to EVs, and won't be any time soon. I like the idea of an EV, but if I was travelling more than a couple of hundred miles then I'd be sweating cobs about finding a charger thats actually operating (and not being stuck behind a queue of cars waiting to plug in to it).
They will have an agreed connection with UKPN, it just wont be in place yet as network reinforcement will be undertaken. There has been a significant role out in EV charging, including at existing garages and this should have (and needs to be) improved to compare with elsewhere.
..im sure there were plenty saying I wont buy a car in the 1950s...i might run out of fuel...and people did, they ran out of fuel and cars broke down all the time, then more people bought cars and the range improved as did the infrastructure, very quickly.
The advantage now is the locations for the infrastructure is in place, the range and performance of EVs is changing all the time and by 2030 there wont be EVs with less than 300 miles of range that can charge quickly, with infrastructure in place to meet needs.
I have an EV - i largely charge at work, or occasionally at home. I can get to the Amex and back, from Hythe on a single charge with plenty to spare. The only time i need to charge away from home is if im going more than 250 miles in a day. Which isnt really very often....ive done 11,000 miles this year and have paid to charge a handful of times, including going to norwich and back in a day. It really isnt that stressful.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Spot on.

You'll still be able to buy a new petrol car in 2030 (or 2035) so you don't need to worry. Petrol cars will be a thing for those that can't/won't change up then.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
"Electricity demand reached a record low in 2022 of 320.7 TWh, down by 3.8 per cent from 2021. Electricity demand has declined year-on-year since 2015, apart from a slight increase between 2020 and 2021 with as demand recovered from the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic."

There is no need for a doubling in demand and UKPN and the National Grid have spoken at length on Radio 4 and elsewhere to make clear they will be able to deliver the upgrades needed. Providing of course government dont flip flop with policy.

I work for a housebuilder a - SME. weve just built/are building over 150 EPC A rated homes that use 0 to 0.3t of carbon per year (fabric first, all electric with ASHP and Solar PV) compared to the average uk home that uses 6t of carbon per year.
we dont need a relaxation on standards, we need consistency to secure investment.
Rishi Sunak is the new David Cameron.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Typical Brighton political bubble throwing it's toys out of the pram over slight delays to allow for those less fortunate to try to save money and for the country to attempt to regain stability to actually be able to afford net zero!
i dont think that reflects the profile of those who are leading these changes...Jacob Rees Mogg and co....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I was in Brazil recently. The place is awash with cheap(ish) electric cars. From China.

You can either be part of the solution or part of the problem. Being part of the problem is much easier of course, so I am unsurprised that many people opt for it. But, f*** me, don't f***ing claim validation and virtue, for f***'s sake. f***ing fucklesticks...

Edit, no offense meant.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here