Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dear Jonny Williams,

rubin

Oct 24, 2011
I'll ignore the suggestion that football started in 1992 and say that this season we will be the highest finishing team never to have had a share of the very fairly distributed Premier League TV money. Last year and the year before we were second behind Cardiff. Its very difficult to break into a club when the members wish it to be exclusive, but if you go about your business the right way on and off the field, it will come. Then we too may know the thrill of visits to Hull and Stoke and appearing last on Match of the Day whilst Shearer pretends to care.

And there comes the bitterness.

You obviously haven't been looking at any media for the last month if you think people have been pretending to care about us. We've probably been the most mentioned Premiership club outside the top three (even excluding the Cardiff rubbish).

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

You obviously haven't been looking at any media for the last month if you think people have been pretending to care about us. We've probably been the most mentioned Premiership club outside the top three.

You are over sensitive. The cynicism was aimed at the league, not your team.

Although I am enjoying the success Brighton are having and would love to win promotion, being in a league which is so skewed that finishing mid table is the best you could ever hope for excites me very little.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I'll ignore the suggestion that football started in 1992 and say that this season we will be the highest finishing team never to have had a share of the very fairly distributed Premier League TV money. Last year and the year before we were second behind Cardiff. Its very difficult to break into a club when the members wish it to be exclusive, but if you go about your business the right way on and off the field, it will come. Then we too may know the thrill of visits to Hull and Stoke and appearing last on Match of the Day whilst Shearer pretends to care.

You know why I chose to mention the PL and not the Old First Division, football has changed way to much for them to be comparable nowerdays, whether that's a good thing though I'm not so sure.

We'll try to enjoy our time in the top division, however long that may be but the thought of what you just said regarding Shearer and Co is the downside as clubs like CPFC will never be truly welcomed, just like The FA and UEFA did their level best to make sure we didn't play in Europe back in 1991 by letting Liverpool aka a fashionable club back in at our expense.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
True, true, I mean, every time an unfashionable club threatens to achieve European football- like Millwall, Swansea, Wigan or Pompey- the FA leap in to block the prospect at once.

I see where you're coming from there, sure.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
In the championship, the owners worked in two year cycles, funding the club, then sell a youth product to cover the loss, that seems like a sensible way to do things.
Whereas your business model seems to be get the debt under £8 million per season.
Unsustainable in the championship, that's why you NEED to go up.

I think we need to go up that much is true, but only because Tony Bloom has said he wants the club to pay for itself. Lets make one thing very clear, if Tony Bloom had a personal income that exceeds £8 million a year, then stated that he wanted to cover an £8 million loss every season, then that is sustainable.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
We have had some really good young players come through the youth team over the past 4/5 years Dunk, Elphick, Cook, Forster-Caskey and March to name but a few. Elphick and Cook have both moved to Bournemouth and are probably the best young centre back pairing in the division. The afore mentioned along with Dunk have had to try and displace Greer and Upson. While Forster-Caskey is fast becoming a first team regular, Solly March is an absolute find, he doesn't need 35 step overs to beat a defender, he uses skill or rather "technical ability" instead. And Palarse have to offer??? Johnny Williams and Winnifred Chacha.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

You obviously haven't been looking at any media for the last month if you think people have been pretending to care about us. We've probably been the most mentioned Premiership club outside the top three (even excluding the Cardiff rubbish).

But isn't it just a load of hastily researched, patronising crap from the likes of Lineker and Hansen on MOTD? Rumours that Hansen thought Crystal Palace was a $600 bottle of champagne favoured by the late Biggie Smalls have yet to be denied by the MOTD press office.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
You know why I chose to mention the PL and not the Old First Division, football has changed way to much for them to be comparable nowerdays, whether that's a good thing though I'm not so sure.

We'll try to enjoy our time in the top division, however long that may be but the thought of what you just said regarding Shearer and Co is the downside as clubs like CPFC will never be truly welcomed, just like The FA and UEFA did their level best to make sure we didn't play in Europe back in 1991 by letting Liverpool aka a fashionable club back in at our expense.

"Nowerdays" - remarkable.

WeScored3...

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
You are over sensitive. The cynicism was aimed at the league, not your team.

Although I am enjoying the success Brighton are having and would love to win promotion, being in a league which is so skewed that finishing mid table is the best you could ever hope for excites me very little.

After supporting Palace for 30 years, the scale of my realistic ambition for my team has always been to cement ourselves as a mid table Premiership side and maybe win a Cup. We've managed to achieve one huge milestone in actually not getting relegated from the PL for the first time after promotion, and to finish mid table this season is remarkable. Now we have to sustain this level which will be hard. Mid table Premiership may be 'boring' to some, but I wouldn't swap that for being in the Championship playing likes of Huddersfield and Doncaster. We lost to City on Sunday in a game of limited significance to us, but I enjoyed watching some world class players like Toure and Aguero in action live. Not long ago we were in administration almost ceasing to exist. Mid table Premiership was a pipe dream back then.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
. Mid table Premiership may be 'boring' to some, but I wouldn't swap that for being in the Championship playing likes of Huddersfield and Doncaster.

If you're going for that old chestnut, let's do this one: No instead you get to get to be in the Premiership playing the likes of Hull, Stoke, West Brom, Cardiff...

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
After supporting Palace for 30 years, the scale of my realistic ambition for my team has always been to cement ourselves as a mid table Premiership side and maybe win a Cup. We've managed to achieve one huge milestone in actually not getting relegated from the PL for the first time after promotion, and to finish mid table this season is remarkable. Now we have to sustain this level which will be hard. Mid table Premiership may be 'boring' to some, but I wouldn't swap that for being in the Championship playing likes of Huddersfield and Doncaster. We lost to City on Sunday in a game of limited significance to us, but I enjoyed watching some world class players like Toure and Aguero in action live. Not long ago we were in administration almost ceasing to exist. Mid table Premiership was a pipe dream back then.

Why don't you change your username to something without a childish homophobic reference and then we might be interested in anything you have to say.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing

That would be the Huddersfield Town that have been champions of England three times and FA Cup winners once…as opposed to what Palace have ever won.

Moreover, the Championship contains clubs that have been champions of England numerous times and one club that has been champions of Europe twice.

Now, suddenly, to Palace fans, the Championship is a wasteland not to be frequented by the likes of their great club.

The superiority complex did not take long to form.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
True, true, I mean, every time an unfashionable club threatens to achieve European football- like Millwall, Swansea, Wigan or Pompey- the FA leap in to block the prospect at once.

I see where you're coming from there, sure.

Were we barred from playing in Europe or not? I'm sure you were pleased when that happened, it ruined our bright future to be honest and was a shocking decision. Scudamore said himself that Man Utd not having a successful season has had a detrimental effect on the PL this season and it's in the leagues best interest that they do well. Imagine how they'd feel if clubs like Palace started to get into Europe on a regular basis?

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
That would be the Huddersfield Town that have been champions of England three times and FA Cup winners once…as opposed to what Palace have ever won.

Moreover, the Championship contains clubs that have been champions of England numerous times and one club that has been champions of Europe twice.

Now, suddenly, to Palace fans, the Championship is a wasteland not to be frequented by the likes of their great club.

The superiority complex did not take long to form.

Is this the same superiority complex that BHAFC fans have over Palace because you won the Charity Shield many moons ago? ???

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
We have had some really good young players come through the youth team over the past 4/5 years Dunk, Elphick, Cook, Forster-Caskey and March to name but a few. Elphick and Cook have both moved to Bournemouth and are probably the best young centre back pairing in the division. The afore mentioned along with Dunk have had to try and displace Greer and Upson. While Forster-Caskey is fast becoming a first team regular, Solly March is an absolute find, he doesn't need 35 step overs to beat a defender, he uses skill or rather "technical ability" instead. And Palarse have to offer??? Johnny Williams and Winnifred Chacha.

Is this the part where we pretend that any of your youth prospects are fit to lace Wilfried's boots?

I look forward to any of your youth players signing for Manchester United for £12m+, or Chelsea for £10m+ :dunce:

Say what you like about the stadium or the training complex, you aren't in a position to compare academy products. Nathaniel Clyne, Jon Williams, Victor Moses and Wilfried Zaha are in a different class to your lot. Your best products currently reside in Bournemouth, ours are at Chelsea, Southampton and United.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Err..Gareth Barry to Man City for £12M.

:dunce:

1. This is the Gareth Barry that was at Brighton youth for 2 years and never made a first team appearance before leaving for Villa?
2. He specifically mentioned your youth products in the last 4/5 years.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Haha! You keep changing those goalposts, sonny. An integral part of a premiership winning team and England regular as opposed to your one-trick pony who can't get into a relegation bound side on loan.

Palace Muppets. The gift that keeps on giving.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Haha! You keep changing those goalposts, sonny. An integral part of a premiership winning team and England regular as opposed to your one-trick pony who can't get into a relegation bound side on loan.

Palace Muppets. The gift that keeps on giving.

We have had some really good young players come through the youth team over the past 4/5 years Dunk, Elphick, Cook, Forster-Caskey and March to name but a few.

Your illiteracy is not me changing the goalposts.

Barry was at one point a member of a Premiership winning team, but as he was only with you as a trainee for 2 years and never played a first team game I don't think you can claim much credit for that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Your illiteracy is not me changing the goalposts.

Barry was at one point a member of a Premiership winning team, but as he was only with you as a trainee for 2 years and never played a first team game I don't think you can claim much credit for that.

Was he a Brighton youth player? YES. And sold because he was just too damn good for us when we were league one and two fodder. No doubt he would have been a regular for us otherwise but he was most definitely a Brighton youth player.

Was he sold for £12M? YES. Admittedly not to Man U but to their superior cousins

Your comment was about looking forward to a Brighton youth player being sold to Man U for £12M. Clearly, we've been there and done that.

Next?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here