Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi Thoughts?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
So RDZ says that if we lose Caicedo he would want to get a replacement to maintain our push for Europe.

If Caicedo stays he is happy with the current squad.

He has told TB the positions he thinks need strengthening.

All seems fairly straightforward, sensible and obvious to me. Am I missing something :shrug:
I think it is because he is deemed to have said things in public that would probably be better said and kept in private.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
So RDZ says that if we lose Caicedo he would want to get a replacement to maintain our push for Europe.

All seems fairly straightforward, sensible and obvious to me. Am I missing something :shrug:
No 🙂

- just too many fans perhaps trying to portray RDZs comments as being more mystical and impenetrable than they actually are because he speaks with an Italian accent (even though 93% of communication is non-verbal) and despite speaking fluent English - or people just getting too fat on a diet of ill informed tweets and poorly written/sourced media rag pieces.

There have been comments relating to getting in new players by RDZ in his pressers in recent months - but Managers talk all the time publicly how they’d like to strengthen their teams, add to their squads and players they feel are under-performing or not settling - Personally I don’t think RDZ has dropped any unprofessional bombs or said anything untoward in recent weeks - It’s his job to keep the Club informed of the needs of the squad (which most fans with any football nous can see for themselves anyway)

If he didn’t look happy after the Liverpool match it was because our play lacked the finesse and deZerbism (especially in FB/MF) that we’ve seen in recent weeks and it’s literally impossible to separate the gaps in the squad (MC, Llama, Colwill) from the deficits in the play.

Eddie Howe on Chris Wood - 20 January 2023
Ideally you want players who can play straight away," Howe told reporters. "In our position, we have lost a player who played a lot of football for us, who was very reliable, who stayed fit and contributed.

"To then bring a player in who we can't use straight away would not make sense. Ideally, yes, we would bring in not necessarily Premier League experience, but someone who is ready to play now would be important."

Howe hopes Newcastle can sign that player before deadline day and the Magpies boss certainly did not want to let Wood go if someone else was not coming in. In fact, on Friday, Howe went as far as to say 'the last thing I wanted to do was leave ourselves light of players'.

Next January, I’m going to self-isolate with no wifi 😅

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I think it is because he is deemed to have said things in public that would probably be better said and kept in private.
Which of those shouldn't be said in public :shrug:

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
BF496F2E-5DD4-44EB-BD61-B45D136C5472.jpeg

Y

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Now available…fascinating

That's brilliant. He doesn't look happy at all. No idea if it's that he was really unhappy with our play (which I thought was ok) or the Caicedo circus/ Trossard, no signings he wanted or something else.

Didn't celebrate Dunks goal at all and only emotion was a double fist pump for Mitomas (Hughton lessons).

No where near as passionate as other clips I've seen. But a brilliant insight into him.

That's brilliant. He doesn't look happy at all. No idea if it's that he was really unhappy with our play (which I thought was ok) or the Caicedo circus/ Trossard, no signings he wanted or something else.

Didn't celebrate Dunks goal at all and only emotion was a double fist pump for Mitomas (Hughton lessons).

No where near as passionate as other clips I've seen. But a brilliant insight into him.
I imagine he's also a bit unhappy with the shocking tackles which weren't punished either bearing in mind he's just seen Fergie helped off! He wasn't happy with the performance although we won,and possibly feeling let down with the Caicedo situation(hopefully to be resolved)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
To be fair, he must have had a difficult week with all the Caicedo stuff, he can see his plans/dreams slipping away if Caicedo goes and there's no replacement. He's lost Colwill for a bit, who seems pretty key to his way of playing. Lallana likewise. He sees his bright young star hacked to the ground and unable to continue. And our normal fluidity and control of the ball wasn't there on Sunday.

And the FA Cup won't mean to him what it does to us.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Now available…fascinating

That's brilliant.
Couple of points;
A few Liverpool fans in amongst the home supporters, unfortunately camera wasn't on them for Mitoma's goal.
Very impressive tin foil cup to the left of the liverpool bench. Good work.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
To be fair, he must have had a difficult week with all the Caicedo stuff, he can see his plans/dreams slipping away if Caicedo goes and there's no replacement. He's lost Colwill for a bit, who seems pretty key to his way of playing. Lallana likewise. He sees his bright young star hacked to the ground and unable to continue. And our normal fluidity and control of the ball wasn't there on Sunday.

And the FA Cup won't mean to him what it does to us.
Judging from his fury at the Charlton defeat and his clear intention to field strong teams at every stage of the Cup, I would suggest that it does mean a helluva lot to him. He gets it. No question. At last we have a manager who is giving the competition the respect it deserves. Already, this season's FAC is littered with the exits of PL teams who have made multiple team changes.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Chatting to a spurs fan yesterday. She was raving about our performance in the cup. I was flattered, but had to explain that we didn't play to our usual standard. She didn't believe me.

We really have stepped up a level under this astonishing, and very complex, man.
Brilliant appointment by the Board. A clear upgrade on before. ( Oh shit....Boehly might read this )

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Chatting to a spurs fan yesterday. She was raving about our performance in the cup. I was flattered, but had to explain that we didn't play to our usual standard. She didn't believe me.

We really have stepped up a level under this astonishing, and very complex, man.
Had the same conversation with a couple of Man Utd fans who have only seen the two minute highlights on MoTD. In particular, they were talking about the 3-0 drubbing of Liverpool the other week, which they thought had been more even than the cup match. How highlights can be deceptive!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Which of those shouldn't be said in public :shrug:
None, all these comments are fine, but it could be argued that he may have given the impression, on occasion, that he feels he wasn’t being backed re his desire to bring in new players. It has certainly been interpreted that way, by a few on here. Of course, that doesn’t make the interpretation fair or unfair😊

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
very complex, man.
What is complex, he is simply a person who does not mince words, says it as it is, and has high standards. I really don't get all the handwringing about him. Maybe people have gotten too used to political double-speak and find the experience of hearing someone talking openly and honestly really confronting. I don't know if he has kids, but if he does I would bet everything I have that he never praises them for producing mediocre results as seems to be the practice with kids at the moment.

Nothing complex about a person who is determined to achieve high results and speaks honestly about the progress and path forward.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
What is complex, he is simply a person who does not mince words, says it as it is, and has high standards. I really don't get all the handwringing about him. Maybe people have gotten too used to political double-speak and find the experience of hearing someone talking openly and honestly really confronting. I don't know if he has kids, but if he does I would bet everything I have that he never praises them for producing mediocre results as seems to be the practice with kids at the moment.

Nothing complex about a person who is determined to achieve high results and speaks honestly about the progress and path forward.
Firstly, I called him astonishing and complex. And I don't see complex as a negative. Definitely not hand wringing.

Secondly, you are describing his behavior. He appears, at least in public, to be pretty consistent. I was referring to the complexity behind that. What are the drivers for someone who is clearly a perfectionist? But who also had the empathy to console a crying mascot in the tunnel right before a match against Liverpool? An unusual and comped set of drivers going on there's I suspect.

I'm loving it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here