Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi seemingly wanting a fight before kickoff.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Love him and more people at the club be they staff or fans need to demonstrate some similar passion at the treatment we keep getting this season. It’s not the odd 50-50 going against us.

Do they announce refs well in advance? Guess not but if so the next time we have yesterday’s (or that VAR) sod their individual feelings we should have a demonstration. Tens/hundreds of thousands of us have feelings too. Hold up some placards or something, make a unified display of noise for the world to see. Take the fine but speak out as it’s beyond a joke. March on PL Offices or something as we’ve been robbed today and other times this season of CL and imagine that story plus how it would change a club with our talent at the very top/ownership.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

De Zerbi is a bit of a wild child, perhaps we should get back Calm Christopher?

Don't want any of Chris' shenanigans again. He was out of control.

On another note, from what I can gather there is no set punishment for a red card to a manager. So it will be interesting to see what happens.

Looks like RDZ wasn't actually involved in the altercation that led to it but was sent off under law 12 (takes the flack when the culprit isn't known). This explains why Stellini also got his orders when he was just standing counting the grass blades.

Hopefully just a single match.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bigger concern for me is he gets so exasperated by the continual dogshit and borderline corrupt officiating, inexcusably compounded by the twats on VAR, that he decides English football is a waste of time and decides to go elsewhere.
I said the same thing a while ago.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From The Athletic

A second clash in the second-half, this time involving a number of coaches from both benches, saw both ordered from the field.

Law 12 in the International Football Association Board (IFAB) laws of the game state that “where an offence is committed and the offender cannot be identified, the senior team coach present in the technical area will receive the sanction”.

and…..

He served another one-match ban earlier in the season after being sent off against Fulham in February and, although there are no automatic suspensions for technical area red cards, will be sweating on further punishment following this latest infringement.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's still not ideal though is it.

I don't want him losing his fire but there's a fine line between self sabotage by not knowing how to control his. Look at Klopp, Pep, Jose and and the old guard like Fergie etc they knew when to reel it in.
Pep? The same Pep who complained about Potter celebrating our goal?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Bigger concern for me is he gets so exasperated by the continual dogshit and borderline corrupt officiating, inexcusably compounded by the twats on VAR, that he decides English football is a waste of time and decides to go elsewhere.
It's going to be hard to persuade managers and players that they can achieve what they want to as easily with us as with the top 6 clubs.

The odds are stacked against us in so many ways.

So no proud of what we do against the back drop of a slanted playing field. How long can we keep it up for is the questions. The higher you go with worse it gets it seems.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You cant keep calm when you are cheated on.
He started before the game had even started though. He’s becoming an easy target for opposing managers and the like now.

It must be unsettling for the players and doesn’t set a great example.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The passion of de Zerbi is infectious… we need some fire , some enthusiasm… I love the guy!
“ failure to control the staff” … Nonsense! How could he and Stellini stop the grown men arguing?
Did he try to stop them? Hard to see from the clip I saw ( can't bring myself to watch the whole game yet).

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Dont know what happened when he was sent of but out of order to go over wagging his finger pre game. Should either be big enough to shake hands at that stage or keep away and let his other staff go over. He was saying may appeal because he said nothing to ref but that had nothing to do with it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did he try to stop them? Hard to see from the clip I saw ( can't bring myself to watch the whole game yet).
On MOTD Stellini stood motionless staring at the grass, whilst his dugout got involved in the arguments. He still got a red card as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dont know what happened when he was sent of but out of order to go over wagging his finger pre game. Should either be big enough to shake hands at that stage or keep away and let his other staff go over. He was saying may appeal because he said nothing to ref but that had nothing to do with it.
He did shake hands. He then turned away to go to his dugout. Watch the clip.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I love his passion but he does need to be careful. Others are going to be watching this and thinking 'hmm, I can get under his skin'. You can just see Dyche (amongst others) rubbing their hands with glee at the chance to wind De Zerbi up before games in the future....

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Pep? The same Pep who complained about Potter celebrating our goal?

Yes that same Pep. They all moan and complain but he ends up giving sarcastic laughs and expressions rather than looking like he's going to be waiting outside the refs or opposing managers changing room with a baseball bat.

I love RDZ's passion and said for years 'we' as a club are too soft (which is what I liked about Maupay's dark arts) but RDZ needs to start reining it in a bit, or it won't be touchline bans we are talking about, it will be stadium bans.

How many touchline bans do you get before you are giving stadium bans?

Looking online all I can see is references to Jose and Fergie having stadium bans for abusing officials and that you are 'not permitted to assist with the setup on match day e.g putting the nets up' or 'communicate with staff at any point before, during or after the game'.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
This all stems from there playing days, when RDZ played for Foggia i think, Stellini described RDZ as an aggresive midfielder, then went on to disrepect him by implying that our posistion is due mostly to Potter. RDZ shook his hand then decided to tell Stellini how wrong he was. Its not like RDZ has put a horses head in Stellinis bed. Neither of them were involved in the incident on the touchline, RDZ tryed to calm things down and Stellini jist stood there looking at the ground.

I say well done to RDZ at last we have a manager who wears his heart in his sleeve and is passionate. Like most Italian sportsmen its the winning that counts not just taking part.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
RDZ considering the disgrace of a performance from PGMOL et all was I thought quite reserved

Can you imagine what Fergie would have said in RDZ shoes after the match yesterday, though doubt he would have left the refs room for interviews until about 9:30pm

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
That clip is not clear enough that I can read their lips, and I'm shit at lip-reading anyway. In any case, it's all baseless hypotheses unless the assistants or the 4th official somehow revealed it to someone. They could have talked about their playing days for all we know. And it wasn't a big incident anyway.

About the red card incident, this picth-side video from a fan's camera shows a better perspective.

It seems De Zerbi was reacting by himself to something on the pitch (like any coach in the world often does) and Stellini, obviously understanding Italian, told him to stop complaining or to calm down or what-have-you. It's very ironic considering he was Conte's assistant coach for a long while and Conte is far worse than De Zerbi. De Zerbi seemed to have a (calm) word back but ultimately accepted Stellini's criticism, and they were both retreating to their respective technical areas without much fuss after that exchange, like civilized people.

But at the same time, for no reason at all the Spurs bench decided to collectively jump up to reinforce their coach's advice to RDZ to calm the f down (with probably more swears included) - which was completely pointless given that RDZ already backing down calmly after Stellini's words. RDZ backed away and was not engaging. But obviously, when one bench idiotically jumps up to attack a coach, the other has butt in to defend their coach, and so both benches began to fight. De Zerbi actually tried immediately to pull his bench back and diffuse the situation with calming words, so he did try to control them. On the other hand, Stellini was far away standing still, doing nothing and pretending he had nothing to do with it lol.

If I was the ref I would have sent off someone on both benches who was actually involved in the more animated part of the fight (and the 4th official must have seen some of those who were) and shown a yellow to both managers for failing to control their benches - even though RDZ tried to. A red card for something they didn't escalate and didn't want to happen is very harsh to say the least.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here