Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] De Zerbi ball is a bit like Gus ball - discuss

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I get you - there are some similarities for sure… But you’ll find most won’t be able to see past league 1 and the premier league on this thread I guarantee 🤣

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I get you - there are some similarities for sure… But you’ll find most won’t be able to see past league 1 and the preMore league on this thread I guarantee 🤣
One another forum, after a ligue 1 match against us, where we dominated possession (when that was a thing, Wenger not yet found out by the high press - of Swansea it may have been) our vanquished opponents were complaining that we were "just like f***ing Arsenal" :ROFLMAO:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
RDZ ball is much faster. We play it out from the back completely differently to how we did under Gus, and we attack much quicker.

Definitely similarities between the managers though, RDZ is great when things are going well, but I fully expect it to end in tears with him, like it did with Gus.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
For me they are fundamentally different.

The last season at Withdean felt quite attacking and go getting but you have to remember we had Wood, Murray and Barnes, all future Premier League strikers. The later Amex version was more conventional tiki taka. Sure it was possession football but partly based on the reasoning that having the ball is a part of a defensive strategy and partly that shifting from side to side was more to gradually pull a team out of position than to draw a press and fly through it at top speed. You also couldn't have defenders in the box for a goal kick so the start off ploy never involved a pivot.

When teams did press Gus well - notably West Ham at home - we were normally soundly beaten.

Finally he always relied on a holding midfielder to keep the shape and win back the ball and then use it cleverly - first Kishishev and then Bridcutt. RDZ doesn't really use a standard CDM.

As for emotionally - well they're both Latin, full of charisma and likely to stand outside their technical area and they both love the game. After that, chalk and cheese. De Zerbi is a true gentleman and appears to have very strong morals and a high work ethic to go with his big balls. I wouldn't trust Gus to look after a child's toy without trying to flog it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The vibe with De Zerbi and Gus seems similar both emotionally and tactically? Am I bonkers ? Discuss
Wanting possession would be the only similarity tactically, emotionally, hard to judge, De Zerbi seems to think he is lucky to be here, Gus felt we were lucky to have him, but that may be due to the squads and budgets that each is/was working with.
Gus had me nervous every time he spoke that he would say something controversial, I don't get that with De Zerbi.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Well Gus was exciting as we were woeful and he actually got us playing better football than anyone else in Div 3. Arguably more Potter like than De Zerbi though. De zerbi football is high octane all out to win wonderstuff.
Yes this.

Gus’s style was pretty standard Tika Taka which was all the rage at the time with Spain and Barca dominating. It worked so well for us as no else had dared try it before in the lower English leagues and the stars aligned for us for that style of play with the players we had and subsequently signed.

RDZ’s football is far more advanced from that.

Gus was great though, will always be a favourite of mine despite the ending and constant skirt lifting towards Leeds.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Football:

Poyet L1 years - a wonderful possession based game, imho never seen in L1 before. As games went on opponents grew knackered chasing shadows, enabling wave after wave of Albion attacks. We didn’t just have great strikers, (variously) also brilliant in attack were Crofts, Bennett, Calderon, Noone.

Poyet (and Garcia) Championship years - a staid passing it around the back, worldly-wise opposition managers and players usually didn‘t fall for it. Giant CB’s with pace got the deckchairs and cigars out, as CMS shuttle ran between them, fullbacks with pace and positional sense appeared very switched on and relaxed about our threats down the wings. The Amex win rate over the 3 seasons was 46%, 1.5 Albion home goals per game. A few bright spots, but I was bored stiff, soon after giving up my ST.

RDZ era - breathtaking football, we all know the tactics as we witness them every game. A brilliant counter attacking game at times, you daren’t leave your seats.

Personalities:

Both Latin, but it stops there. Poyet is false, an actor, falling out with owners, it’s always someone else’s fault, he plays club politics, misplaced arrogant eg he didn’t take to Muzza wanting a pay rise, then much later tried to blame TB for Muzza’s departure.

Whilst RDZ naturally wears his heart on his sleeve, he’s wonderfully imperfect, he fights our cause, it must be great playing for him. With one proviso …. will we hate him when he moves to a rival? :lolol:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Gus & GPott both regret leaving Brighton. Right now, that’s the only (non) similarity. Let’s hope RDZ has conducted his own history lesson on Albion ex-coaches.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
RDZ ball is much faster. We play it out from the back completely differently to how we did under Gus, and we attack much quicker.

Definitely similarities between the managers though, RDZ is great when things are going well, but I fully expect it to end in tears with him, like it did with Gus.
Hmmm yes agreed, he hasn't been at the club long enough for it to properly surface yet, but l predict RdZ to possess a similarly sized ego to his Uruguyan predecessor.

He is already allegedly demanding far more say in transfer dealings than Potter had. Ring any bells?

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Having interviewed Gus, Hughton, Potter and De Zerbi I can say that RDZ has an aura about him like Poyet does. His language (as it stands) probably makes him a little slower to make jokes etc but that will come.

The football is better however.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Football:

Poyet L1 years - a wonderful possession based game, imho never seen in L1 before. As games went on opponents grew knackered chasing shadows, enabling wave after wave of Albion attacks. We didn’t just have great strikers, (variously) also brilliant in attack were Crofts, Bennett, Calderon, Noone.

Poyet (and Garcia) Championship years - a staid passing it around the back, worldly-wise opposition managers and players usually didn‘t fall for it. Giant CB’s with pace got the deckchairs and cigars out, as CMS shuttle ran between them, fullbacks with pace and positional sense appeared very switched on and relaxed about our threats down the wings. The Amex win rate over the 3 seasons was 46%, 1.5 Albion home goals per game. A few bright spots, but I was bored stiff, soon after giving up my ST.

RDZ era - breathtaking football, we all know the tactics as we witness them every game. A brilliant counter attacking game at times, you daren’t leave your seats.

Personalities:

Both Latin, but it stops there. Poyet is false, an actor, falling out with owners, it’s always someone else’s fault, he plays club politics, misplaced arrogant eg he didn’t take to Muzza wanting a pay rise, then much later tried to blame TB for Muzza’s departure.

Whilst RDZ naturally wears his heart on his sleeve, he’s wonderfully imperfect, he fights our cause, it must be great playing for him. With one proviso …. will we hate him when he moves to a rival? :lolol:
DeZerbiBall is many things, but counter-attacking is not one of them in my view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here