Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daytripper numbers to Brighton and Hove dropped by almost ten per cent in 2015.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How do you reconcile a tale of visitor numbers being down with a claim that the place is overcrowded?

Numbers are down, not down to zero though. Also the beach is crowded most days in Summer with locals. The service heavy industry in Brighton means people have all sorts of days off, it's a student city with plenty of free time on their hands, it's full of unemployed alcoholics and homeless, chocca with wannabe musicians and hippies, stall holders etc hence Brighton beach is always busy even on weekdays.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Out on interest where do you go for your family day out?

Funnily enough, Brighton, among other places. Lived there for 40 years so I know some good places to park fairly cheap. Its the poor 'no hope' cattle train up and down the London road that I feel sorry for.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
:D
Shop in Crawley now. Same shops, cheaper and easier to get to. Far quieter too. It's a rather pleasant experience compared to shopping in Brighton where the shops are miles apart and full of expensive tat.

that's cheered me up. Crawley :lolol::rock:

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Brighton has been ruined as a tourist destination by a moronic council who would rather spend money on a four hundred foot cock than sort out parking or alternate transport solutions. Coming for a 'family day out' in Brighton now consists of sitting in traffic for hours praying for a parking space that won't bankrupt you, not finding one, followed by sitting in traffic for hours waiting to get the f*** out of Brighton. If the council figures included those that have tried and just gone home/somewhere else, they may get to the bottom of this 'baffling' situation. C***s. :rant:

:lolol::lolol:Made me laugh, spot on though.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I will always still go to Brighton with the kids, partly due to an emotional attachment to the place.

But as others have said the traffic is bad and the parking charges extortionate. Have gone to other places as well this year, including Littlehampton, which is a lot cheaper.

I'm really not sure what the council would be "baffled", some of the answers are blindingly obvious. If I lived in Hassocks, I'd get the train. From Surrey, London or further afield, you may well want to drive.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But as others have said the traffic is bad and the parking charges extortionate.

Surely, if the parking charges were less extortionate, there'd be more cars ... so the traffic would be even worse. At the moment, it can take a good hour to get out Brighton on a hot summer's day - would people really want to spend even longer in traffic jams?

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Definitely the parking. We took my son to the early morning autistic screening last Sunday at the Odeon. Came out of there went to one shop in Western Road and then back to Churchill 2 car park...
£7. SEVEN POUNDS.
Christ on a bike! You would need a mortgage to park the car for a day.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Definitely the parking. We took my son to the early morning autistic screening last Sunday at the Odeon. Came out of there went to one shop in Western Road and then back to Churchill 2 car park...
£7. SEVEN POUNDS.
Christ on a bike! You would need a mortgage to park the car for a day.
I was charged £12 for 3 hours in that car park behind the Grand Hotel, I thought there was something wrong with the machine, certainly won't park there again.
Highly recommend the cinema in Uckfield, free parking and a great old fashioned, friendly place that doesn't charge 25 quid for popcorn.
I live in Hollingbury and find myself driving all over Sussex for things I need rather than drive into town, no surprise tourists are put off if locals can't bothered with the place.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I live in Hollingbury and find myself driving all over Sussex for things I need rather than drive into town, no surprise tourists are put off if locals can't bothered with the place.

This is more common than one would think,my favourites are Burgess Hill,Eastbourne and Hailsham....Lewes on occasion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely, if the parking charges were less extortionate, there'd be more cars ... so the traffic would be even worse. At the moment, it can take a good hour to get out Brighton on a hot summer's day - would people really want to spend even longer in traffic jams?

Personally I'd ban cars from the centre of the city.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Personally I'd ban cars from the centre of the city.

Not really an option when we have a rail system that's not fit for purpose, a highly unreliable bus service and an inadequate set of cycle lanes. Banning cars works well in Germany and Netherlands (I know many cities have done it) but it's a tough ask in the UK

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not really an option when we have a rail system that's not fit for purpose, a highly unreliable bus service and an inadequate set of cycle lanes. Banning cars works well in Germany and Netherlands (I know many cities have done it) but it's a tough ask in the UK

Trams would be a much better option than the buses as well.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here