usa.jpg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So both England and Wales captains may receive a yellow card immediately they enter the pitch if they wear a One Love armband, currently being discussed by FIFA, beggars belief if it happens

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
So both England and Wales captains may receive a yellow card immediately they enter the pitch if they wear a One Love armband, currently being discussed by FIFA, beggars belief if it happens
I can't see that happening - it would be a serious PR boo boo for FIFA.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
but they can wear FIFA Sanctioned political statement armbands-

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can't see that happening - it would be a serious PR boo boo for FIFA.
I can, as sure as night follows day!

One Love armbands - or rainbow tops - for all the team, taken off player by player at the edge of the pitch before they actually step on it?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Will follow results on BBC app.

Wasn't sure if I'd get into the World Cup spirit when England started, but no. Even less interested than the Euros.

No idea why? Yes we grind out results, but we're bloody awful to watch unless we're playing Lichtenstein. Southgate is as brave as a church mouse and none of the players seem passionate about playing for him.

Younger me would be appalled about my current state of England support, or lack of it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is it all the European countries except Spaiin and Portugal that wanted to wear the armbands? That's seven of the major teams in this competition - surely FIFA would have to back down if nearly a quarter of the teams - maybe more if the USA joined in - threatened to go home?

(Which, by the way, I would love to see!)

Question for any expert on the rules. Can a player be booked before they set foot on the pitch - in other words, wear the armband and pointedly take it off immediately before entering the pitch?

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Just had word of mouth, England aren’t going to wear arm bands for fear of pissing off FIFA but will come out of the tunnel in their back up kit shirts
04495B20-3C61-4B3C-9DCC-8E50AAC660BE.jpeg

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Spineless FA , what next? Further evidence of the lip service being played to equal rights.
Quite - the wearing of armbands without fear of punishment or prosecution is a form of expression of the sort protected by Human Rights legislation- Even FIFA’s own grievance procedure is suppose to protect human rights enshrined in HR legislation around the World:

“What types of issues should be reported?

FIFA has put in place a Human Rights Grievance Mechanism for any person who wishes to report human rights concerns in relation to the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™. Human rights are basic rights and freedoms that belong to every human being, as defined in various international human rights instruments.
As a rule of thumb, if you experience or observe a situation where you feel that your dignity and/or the dignity of another person is not being respected or are aware of human rights violations, you should consider reporting it.”

Refusing to allow teams to sport armband without risk of sanction would prima facia amount to the infringement of the right to freedom of expression as provided in Article 10 of the ECHR (to which we are still a signatory/implemented in UK law)

“ARTICLE 10
Freedom of expression
1. Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This Article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.
2. The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety …”

FIFA’S HR statement is not worth the paper it is written on apparently

Which leads nicely into Psychobilly’s thread on ‘Time to leave FIFA?’

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here