Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Day 12 - Wed 23rd Feb - PLANNING EXPERTS CENTRAL

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Inquiry day 12 (Wednesday)

My view of the Inquiry (day 12)
During the dole moments (usually when Mr White and Mr Hopkin are talking) I found a good way of keeping myself awake, No I wasn’t talking about Megan, even though she is a good excuse to stay awake. To keep myself alert I just had to keep my hand moving by writing notes on my note pad, by doing this I didn’t even want to sleep.

Anyway on to that inquiry stuff, of which was an improvement from yesterday, hopefully tomorrow and Friday will pick up pace too.
Mr Rainer, Albion planning consultant continued from where he left off last night, but to be honest he should of brought his sleeping bag along and spent the night there. He was in the dock for the whole morning as well being questioned, and at the pace that Mr Hopkin and Mrs McKay were working he could have been for another whole day,
Mr Rainer took a series of difficult question from a selection of parties from the dark side including Mr Hopkin and Mrs McKay and he handled himself very well, and put them in their place.
Mr Hopkin was asking questions to Mr Rainer that you would ask an Ecologist on the habitat of the Black-Redstart. Mr Rainer was quick to respond by stating to Mr Hopkin that he was not an expert in this field and that he should be putting any questions concerning Ecology to Mr Emberton (the clubs Ecology expert). After a couple of questions Mr Hopkin finally got the message that Mr Rainer was trying to put across and decided a different approach.

Mrs McKay (Regency Society) thought she could get the upper hand over Mr Rainer, but she wasn’t going to win this battle. She was challenging Mr Rainer evidence for the need of a 22,000 seater stadium and perhaps a 14,000 seater stadium would be more suitable if Withdean could be redeveloped by turning the pitch and doing away with the Car park and the pub. Mr Rainer told her straight this would be totally inadequate for the club. Mrs McKay got into a huff because she had claimed that Mr Rainer had not answered her questions. Mr Rainer stated that he had answered all the relevant questions, in which Mrs McKay hastily switched her microphone off and sat there with a face that is going to give me nightmares.

Once Mr Rainers shoes had been unscrewed from the floor in the dock, the afternoon session would see Mr Green (Brighton and Hove City Council). Yet again he was very good at giving evidence and stated that the club should build a stadium that is Iconic what ever site it is placed. Miss Mcpherson went through the sites with Mr Green and questioned him on the criteria need for of the sites. I won’t go into to detail on this, but his basic conclusion was that Falmer met all the criteria, SURPRIZE, SURPRIZE.

Mr White and Mr Green had a little debate on whether questions where being answered or not, it was really beginning to kick off. It was a this point that my pen decided to throw in the towel, so I called it a day on writing notes for the day but I do remember Mr Whites cross examination of Mr Green evidence of Sheepcote Valley.
I now took time to assess Mr White, who I soon realised was up his own arse and loved himself and also seemed to be suffering from a cold. Mr Hopkin on the other hand seems to like sucking on his pen lid while making out he knows it all.
Mr Hopkin was next to question Mr Green, but this did not last long before Mr Brier wanted to conclude today’s proceedings. Mr Green will continue being questioned tomorrow morning, perhaps he has borrowed Mr Rainer sleeping bag from the previous night and will spend the night in the town hall. I do hear there are Ghosts in that town hall, well I did say that Mrs McKay was present.
Not much on my Megan report tonight, I will try a little harder tomorrow, but I will say she has a fantastic smile. So I will either dream about Megan’s smile tonight or get a nightmare thinking about Mrs McKay’s haunting face. I will reveal all tomorrow.
C U GUYS,
SG

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Mr White & Mr Green? This is getting more & more like Cluedo all the time. All I need now is to do the lovely Megan with my own "candlestick".

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Originally posted by ShorehamGull
So I will either dream about Megan’s smile tonight or get a nightmare thinking about Mrs McKay’s haunting face.

Some of Ms McKay's more chilling expressions are indeed the stuff of nightmares. Although it's not particularly restful when she does her impression of a cat's arsehole either.

My report ...

Albion fans who are following the long saga of the Club’s quest for a permanent home must by now know more about town planning than they ever thought it possible to learn. Other football supporters can show off by naming every cup winning team since 1950. We impress our mates by explaining the intricacies of government planning policy on major developments in AONBs.

Wednesday at the Inquiry was a day for the real aficianados. We had two expert planning witnesses doing battle on behalf of the football club and the city council, presenting all of the planning policy reasons why Falmer is the only site, and fighting off the opposition who say it’s not.

The cross-examination of Peter Rainier, representing the Albion, was concluded at lunchtime and the afternoon was taken up with the evidence presented by Nigel Green, the city council’s man, and the start of his grilling by the lawyers for Lewes District Council and Falmer Parish Council.

Before things really got going, though, there was a letter handed round the Inquiry which proved categorically that the New Monks Farm site, next to Shoreham Airport, isn’t available for a football stadium. It was from the company that owns the site. Odd, then, that Tom Carr, Falmer Parish Council’s vice chairman, had said only a few days ago that the company was willing to sell the site to the Albion. Wrong, Mr Carr. They are building a golf course and won’t sell.

That was a nice victory to start the day. It set everyone up for the combative questioning of Peter Rainier by Falmer’s lawyer. Like Mr Carr, he was doing his best. But Charlie Hopkins wasn’t very convincing. He tried to prove that Shoreham Harbour would be available, but got no further than casting doubt on whether the harbour really was the home of the black redstart. Or is it the red blackstart?

He even persisted with the Airport site. Does West Sussex County Council’s policy on aviation actually say that a stadium can’t be built near the airport? No. But neither does it say that it can. I think most people in the room assumed that it had never crossed the minds of the aviation policy makers in Chichester that this question might ever be asked. But there was Mr Hopkins, no doubt prompted by Tom Carr, asking it.

The questions about Adur and Horsham Councils’ policies for Upper Beeding Cement Works were just as unreal. And then we moved on to a debate about whether 450 students who would move into a flats near Falmer Station counted as ‘local residents’ who would be disturbed by the noise of a football match in the same way as (allegedly) will the occupants of two houses on the outskirts of Falmer village. It turns out that the students will have double glazing to dampen the much greater noise of the A27 which will be much closer to their windows that the stadium.

The Regency Society’s Hazel McKay brought up her grand plan again - stay at Withdean until a move to Shoreham Harbour can be arranged in twenty years time. Could Withdean be expanded to hold 14,000 while we waited? Er, no. The Club didn’t want a 14,000 seater stadium. Even John Prescott wasn’t interested in that option. And what would we do with Withdean when we moved? ‘Sell it on e-bay’, suggested Jonathan Clay, the Albion’s lawyer.

After Peter Rainier stepped down, it was Nigel Green’s turn. He gave a very clear presentation of the City Council’s case, which is to continue to support the Falmer project.

Mr Green had some particularly interesting things to say about Sheepcote Valley. Apart from the traffic issues (more on those tomorrow), he spelled out a range of other policy objections to Sheepcote Valley. The site was an important public open space. The council has policies to protect ‘strategic views and important vistas’. The existing playing fields and @@@@@@@ park would need to be relocated, and moving them to contaminated land at the north of the valley would be risky and irresponsible. Going through the whole process of preparing for a stadium at Sheepcote Valley could take six years and another Public Inquiry couldn’t be ruled out. As owner of the site, the City Council did not want to release the land. Falmer was a far better option.

Mr Green took us through all of the alternative sites in the city, carefully explaining the complex range of planning policies that applied to each of them. We’d already heard many of the reasons why particular sites weren’t suitable. Now we heard yet more.

And if anyone thought that Toads Hole Valley looked like a good idea because the site could be shared with office development, they were soon to be disabused of that. Nigel Green explained that most recent office developments in the city were losing money that developers could only make up with profitable retail or housing schemes built alongside them. If the future of Toads Hole Valley was office development (as the owners seem to want), I guess there wouldn’t be room for a stadium.

At the start of the day, we thought we knew a lot about planning. By the end, we knew much more.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Everest said:
Mr White & Mr Green? This is getting more & more like Cluedo all the time. All I need now is to do the lovely Megan with my own "candlestick".
Sounds more like Reservoir Dogs to me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm going to tomorrows session. Hoping Jon Clay will turn in a performance like Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men tomorrow, as he grills some hapless NIMBY in the dock.

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
i can't believe how ignorant the people who oppose this stadium are.
Their arguments get sillier by the day.
I'm sure in cases like the regency society , green party rottingdean,falmer and lewes councils the people who represent them only do so to further their careers or party's rather than believe the argument that they are putting forward

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
patcham seagulls said:
i can't believe how ignorant the people who oppose this stadium are.
Their arguments get sillier by the day.
I'm sure in cases like the regency society , green party rottingdean,falmer and lewes councils the people who represent them only do so to further their careers or party's rather than believe the argument that they are putting forward

In fairness to them, this is a Democracy ( of sorts) and there are a lot of people around who do not support our views and they should be allowed a say.

If we are sure of our arguement then they will fail and we will win and we will get Falmer...simple as really

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
agreed, however after 5 years? the arguements wearing thin.
After all this time their opposition still havent unearthed anything meaningful or new.
Don't really blame them for stalling but do we really need to go through all this again with the ever increasing costs.
surely all the evidece could have been re-examined by a differant
planning inspector.
as a club we must be re-using all the evidence from the previous enquiry as i imagine are the opposition

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Did we have the icons before? The Regency Society a burning West Pier and the Albion stadium plan.

And the South Downs Conservation Board want non-elected planning powers !

Dare they risk being shown up ?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I just knew I would regret opening this thread when I saw the latest poster was Perseus.

Next time, I WILL listen to the little voices in my head!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
patcham seagulls said:
surely all the evidece could have been re-examined by a differant
planning inspector.

What keep having different inspectors till we find a inspector that shares our point of views?:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

That would really go down well:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here