Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Davy Propper - is he the weak link?

D

Deleted member 2719

I don't like picking out weak links, but I do feel he is always stretched and close to his limit in every match, he is a good enough Sub, but fulltime in our midfield asks a bit much from him IMO.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I sometimes think I watch different games to some of our fans, yes Propper made a massive gaffe for the equaliser but I have no idea how anyone would consider him a weak link on his contributions this season. A Rolls Royce of a player imo growing into Potterball. A luxury player? Maybe but he has definitely upped the “getting stuck in” part of his game this season.

Indeed, I feel like I watch a different game to some of our fans, I know football is a game of opinions but how anyone can suggest Propper is a weak link I find quite hard to comprehend.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm a critic of his because he can seem a bit lethargic, but the last two games he played ok and even had 3 shots on target. I couldn't have been happier when he scored today, but that lapse in concentration in a dangerous area demonstrates his inconsistency and focus. Doing one thing great and one thing awful in a game sums him up for me and he needs to raise his game if he wants to keep his shirt next season.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Last time we played Wolves, he didn’t touch the ball. Today was a big improvement on that.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Having Davy in your team is a bit like having James Vince in your batting line up.

Plenty of points for aesthetics, but doesn't quite give you the numbers you're looking for

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Last time we played Wolves, he didn’t touch the ball. Today was a big improvement on that.

The single least ambitious performance i've ever seen from a Brighton side that day.

It got us a point to be fair, but it was horrible viewing

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that he was ok today some good and some bad points but generally did his job. FWIW I thought Mooy was awful for the first 20 mins of the game but picked up his game and had a good 2nd half

Keep on running

Nov 16, 2019
As someone who is new to watching Brighton regularly I have generally been impressed with Propper. He has the ability to slip a probing forward pass through.

In the two previous games I noticed he was a bit reluctant to pass to Mooy, ( not sure if it was because he perceived him to be a threat to his position in the team), but against Wolves there was much more interplay between the two of them, which I would think can only benefit the team going forward.

In regards to the next game, is there anyone else in the squad who is a decent six? if not Mooy has plenty of experience there as well.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
This is just an observation from the last two games, both of which have been viewed on tv so can only see what’s shown on screen.

Propper seems to give the ball away a hell of a lot, numerous times against Arsenal which was picked up by the commentators on Amazon and again today, not only for the second goal but also a fair few other times also. I know when Propper is good, he is really good but does anyone else think that he’s the weak link of the team, especially in midfield? Personally I’d like to see a midfield “central” three of Gross, Stephens and Mooy.

Is it time for a Propper upgrade? Or am I just being stupid? All about opinions.

Personally, I think Mooy is the player that I thought (hoped) Propper would become.

Mooy rarely loses the ball and often gets it back if he does and is always looking to play a positive pass and often succeeds.

He can run the midfield and affect a game in a way that Propper rarely does unfortunately.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that he's a weak link but I think Mooy's the midfielder we've been crying out for for two seasons at least.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm a critic of his because he can seem a bit lethargic, but the last two games he played ok and even had 3 shots on target. I couldn't have been happier when he scored today, but that lapse in concentration in a dangerous area demonstrates his inconsistency and focus. Doing one thing great and one thing awful in a game sums him up for me and he needs to raise his game if he wants to keep his shirt next season.
It wasn't a lapse in concentration, he played the ball that his defender who had a far better view of the pitch than him, told him to.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Been brilliant all season. Yes he's given it away a few times but normally trying to be positive. We are work in progress but Propper is the creative spark in the middle of the park.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Gave the ball away for their second but, quite apart from his very welcome goal, was massively involved in our dominance of possession against a very strong Wolves who put us under a lot of pressure. I would like to see stats for interceptions and completed passes - I suspect Davy will consistently be one of our top performers.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Poor today, as was Webster. But overall he’s been a breath of fresh air today. My only worry with him and Dale is a) lack of pace and b) not enough goals.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Shit happens would this thread exist if we had won???

Yes, I nearly posted a similar thread on Thursday night about how in my eyes and from what was shown on the screen and said by those commentating at Arsenal, about how Propper seems to be giving the ball away quite a lot. But after thinking about it I decided against others and thought I’d analyse his performances a little more, today he kept losing possession and giving the ball away again, hence why I typed it up today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here