David Wheeler

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Played really well for Lewes against Havant on tuesday, admittedly against weak opposition, but he's got trials for England schools u18s and trials at yeovil, southampton and Ipswich.

Why the f*** did we release him?

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
I was wondering why he had slipped through the normally pretty useful Albion local youngster net.

Along with that Arsenal kid from Lancing.

Obviously you can make a mistake with reagrds to letting someone go, but I would hope that the Albion will now give this lad a second chance.

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Would there really be any harm in offering him a trial.

According to today's Argus he's been on trial at Southampton this week and Sheffield United are sniffing around. Saw him for Lewes earlier in the season and he was their best player by far.

My understanding is he wants to do his A-levels before commiting himself to a professional club but why not get in there now and show our interest before we lose out on another promising local lad. Just look at how far Russ Martin has come along since we let him go.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Would there really be any harm in offering him a trial.

According to today's Argus he's been on trial at Southampton this week and Sheffield United are sniffing around. Saw him for Lewes earlier in the season and he was their best player by far.

My understanding is he wants to do his A-levels before commiting himself to a professional club but why not get in there now and show our interest before we lose out on another promising local lad. Just look at how far Russ Martin has come along since we let him go.

We offered Russ Martin terms which he rejected to sign for Wycombe.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Complete crap.

Plenty of footballers compare unfavourably with their team mates at a young age, and come through later. Likewise, there are countless lads who've been tipped for stardom from their early teens, and never make the grade (anybody remember a kid called Sonny Pike? Freddy Adu?)

It's not an exact science, and clubs take a massive punt on every youth player they take on. Most won't make it. For all we know, Wheeler might have been sub-standard when he played for us- the youth development people unfortunately don't have crystal balls, and thus have to make a decision based on what they've seen.

As an example- Michael Standing was considered the hot tip when he played in our youth team, and Gareth Barry received hardly any attention when the Villa thing came about. Yet Barry is now an England international, while Standing is a non-league player.

Get real, people.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Complete crap.

Plenty of footballers compare unfavourably with their team mates at a young age, and come through later. Likewise, there are countless lads who've been tipped for stardom from their early teens, and never make the grade (anybody remember a kid called Sonny Pike? Freddy Adu?)

It's not an exact science, and clubs take a massive punt on every youth player they take on. Most won't make it. For all we know, Wheeler might have been sub-standard when he played for us- the youth development people unfortunately don't have crystal balls, and thus have to make a decision based on what they've seen.

As an example- Michael Standing was considered the hot tip when he played in our youth team, and Gareth Barry received hardly any attention when the Villa thing came about. Yet Barry is now an England international, while Standing is a non-league player.

Get real, people.

But some of them, have been offered scholars - and they turn them down because they want to do A levels and Albion won't let them, and thats why we are missing out of some, a prime example being Russel Martin. Who knows Wheeler could be the next and I know of some others that turned it down for A levels too.

And TY Iron x

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
But some of them, have been offered scholars - and they turn them down because they want to do A levels and Albion won't let them, and thats why we are missing out of some, a prime example being Russel Martin. Who knows Wheeler could be the next and I know of some others that turned it down for A levels too.

And TY Iron x

But that's the choice of the player though isn't it rather than the club - why should a club change its youth structure to suit a player. Seem to recall Steve Coppell turning down a number of apprenticeships when he was that age in order to get a degree.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
But that's the choice of the player though isn't it rather than the club - why should a club change its youth structure to suit a player. Seem to recall Steve Coppell turning down a number of apprenticeships when he was that age in order to get a degree.

Pretty stupid of the club IMO though, youngsters need to plan for the possibility of not making it which A-levels helps them to do.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton

Because the club are missing out on these players, and sometimes other clubs are benefitting from our youth. Its as much the teams loss as it is the players themselves.

Pretty stupid of the club IMO though, youngsters need to plan for the possibility of not making it which A-levels helps them to do.

Exactly

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
We released him and James Norwood in the past. Both got into the England Under 18s schools squad. Norwood had another trial with us a couple of weeks back. Could happen with Wheeler I guess.

A guy i know is best friends with James Norwood. I knew he was good and was best player at St Bedes college but didn't know he was that good?

Are you sure he had a trial with us?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
A guy i know is best friends with James Norwood. I knew he was good and was best player at St Bedes college but didn't know he was that good?

Are you sure he had a trial with us?

Yes, it was in the papers a couple of weeks ago. Also had one at a Championship club I think, can't remember which one though.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
they turn them down because they want to do A levels and Albion won't let them, and thats why we are missing out of some, a prime example being Russel Martin. Who knows Wheeler could be the next and I know of some others that turned it down for A levels too.

Sounds like the club need to be more flexible as a lot of very good players are late developers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports