Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Walliams swimming the Thames

richmond

May 30, 2008
You may know that David is attempting to swim the length of the Thames in 8 days to raise money for Sport Relief; 140 miles with 44 locks. Yesterday he came through Culham (I live in Culham behind the lock) after leaving Abingdon on the start of Day 3.

I took this shot of him as he made an unscheduled stop at the lock.He was suffering from stomach cramps after a bad night with 'Thames tummy!'

So far he has raised over £250,000 pounds. This will go to help orphaned children in Africa, something David has seen a first hand.

Many people are supporting him along the way. Today, Day 4, he is swimming from Wallingford to Henley... trying to make up a shortfall from yesterday.

His determination and his pain is there to see and is quite inspirational.

If you would like to track his progress and donate then here is the link:
The BT Sport Relief Challenges Walliams Vs The Thames | Sport Relief 2012

PS I'm hoping the pic is attached, not done that before!

Attachments

• walliams_swim_email.jpg
    walliams_swim_email.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 772

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
He's had a serious stomach upset (possibly because he stayed in Croydon before he started the swim) and may be too weak to continue.

richmond

May 30, 2008
Vegas seagull; The tracker isn't working at the moment...as David finished at Wallingford last night the tracker kept on going!

He's back in the water now heading for Goring and Streatley

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Starting to admire this bloke muchly. Anyone who uses their fame to do such good work for a cause is exemplary.
(see also Lady Diana Spencer for example)

Yep, I have massive respect for him too, swimming the distances he has done from the point of being a complete novice is little short of miraculous. Most World class swimmers have spent hours and hours in the pool training since the age of about eight, their bodies are used to it and they aren't good just by chance. To do the amount of training necessary to swim the English Channel once you have passed thirty is some achievement and what he is doing now is probably harder than running a marathon a day for a week. Respect Mr Walliams.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
You may know that David is attempting to swim the length of the Thames in 8 days to raise money for Sport Relief; 140 miles with 44 locks. Yesterday he came through Culham (I live in Culham behind the lock)

You're just up the road from me in Didcot. I was in Culham Road last weekend for the Abingdon Town vs Didcot Town FA Cup match.

richmond

May 30, 2008
Hi Willow
Thanks for the compliment on the pic - I got used to getting the shot when I worked on a magazine. Once I'm in position no one is getting in my way.

I've been to see Abingdon Town a few times and a friend of mine lives near Abingdon Utd so I tend to go there when I'm not taking my son to see Oxford. Most of the times though I'd like to bee seeing Brighton!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Hero. f*** swimming 10 metres in the Thames, let alone the whole bloody thing!

Fair point, I did 2Km in the pool this morning and didn't have to contend with angry swans or all the other crap you find in the the Thames.

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
Not only that but the Thames Is even more filthier than a DubStep track. God only knows what's lurking underneath.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here