Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Moyes to be SACKED over comments

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
images.jpg

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
What a complete non story. How is sexist? Because he said "even though you're a woman"? Have we really got to the age where we have to pretend that women aren't the fairer sex, and they should be equally entitled to a slap as men are?

It's bollocks like this that detracts from actual sexism in the world today, on important things like women not getting paid as much as men. Next it'll be sexist to hold a door open for a woman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been complained at twice by two different women for holding a door open for them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Will Leicester fans this evening be singing

"slapped in the morning, you're getting slapped in the morning...."

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Moyes is definitely an old school chauvinist and xenophobe.

In this season alone, he dropped Ndong because he "needed more Britishness in the middle", said he had lot of work to do on training ground to get "more Britishness" into Djilobodji, was pleased that Gibson "gives us a bit of Britishness" and claimed that "there's a Britishness about night games".

Can't help feeling Sunderland have too much Britishness at the top of the coaching staff to survive this season.

How you get xenophobe from that boggles the mind. You must be in a constant state of being offended.

As someone who is neither British nor African it sounds a lot like he's referring to a playing style. One which would indicate wanting players to throw themselves about a bit more and play a more physical style of football(which is less common in African football and more common in British). Because you know, different nations play with different styles...

Or is that xenophobic these days to say countries play different styles to each other?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
This story sums up everything I hate about the media and the publics endless appetite to be offended. Cannot believe the amount of coverage, posturing and pitchforks over a nothing conversation between two people.

As others have said a dangerous game to start labelling this in the sexist manner it is being portrayed as waters down the true meaning and problem

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Ridiculous over reaction and embarrassingly cringworthy, which I assume most female reporters will agree with and...well reporting .

biddles911

May 12, 2014
This story sums up everything I hate about the media and the publics endless appetite to be offended. Cannot believe the amount of coverage, posturing and pitchforks over a nothing conversation between two people.

As others have said a dangerous game to start labelling this in the sexist manner it is being portrayed as waters down the true meaning and problem

Personally I'd like to slap all the PC police irrespective of gender, race or religion.

Does that make me PC or what!?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You've managed to catch quite a few with this thread, Ernest. :lol:

The media have only just caught up with this story because of the apology. Moyes hasn't been sacked, & when he is, it will be because of relegation, not sexism.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Having heard it, it was said in jest with no maliciousness & no offence was taken by the reporter - she knew she was being cheeky & got a come back.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Sanitize the world to make sure that no-one ever feels threatened or offended.

We can pontificate on this till the cows come home, but really the only person who should be upset and concerned about this is the woman in questions. He says he has apologised to her and presumably she has accepted this apology so once she has seen a shrink to make sure there are no medium or long term psychological effects maybe we can all move on.

Bloke says something inappropriate, all concerned are generally okay, Bloke apologises for saying something inappropriate, move on.

Agreed

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Having heard it, it was said in jest with no maliciousness & no offence was taken by the reporter - she knew she was being cheeky & got a come back.

Just as a point, what did she say that was cheeky?

Just to further reiterate Ernest's fishing, this happened over a month ago, so Moyes isn't getting sacked for his comments.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What a complete non story. How is sexist? Because he said "even though you're a woman"? Have we really got to the age where we have to pretend that women aren't the fairer sex, and they should be equally entitled to a slap as men are?

It's bollocks like this that detracts from actual sexism in the world today, on important things like women not getting paid as much as men. Next it'll be sexist to hold a door open for a woman.

Presumably the sexism is whether he would have said the same thing to a male reporter in the same context? Do you think he would have said the same thing to Guy Mowbray had he asked the same questions?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Reporter, whether male or female, gets a bit too cocky with their questioning. Manager emphasises that they are the top dog in this place of employment and that the reporter should show a little more respect. End.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
David Moyes seems to have been enduring a long, midlife crisis ever since he left Everton.

His comments to Vicki Sparks were quite disturbing. Doubt he would be casually threatening violence (even in jest) to Geoff Shreeves or Damien Johnson because he objected to their line of (perfectly valid) questioning.

He should have been fired by Sunderland about 3 months ago because it was clear that he was so negative about their chances this season before a ball was even kicked, which has had a detrimental effect on his players.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Reporter, whether male or female, gets a bit too cocky with their questioning. Manager emphasises that they are the top dog in this place of employment and that the reporter should show a little more respect. End.

What was the question and why was it cocky?

Edit This was the question, just to help you out. A perfectly valid question for any journalist to ask imo.

Moyes had made the remark following Sunderland’s 0-0 draw with Burnley on 18 March, after Sparks, who works for BBC Newcastle and Radio 5 Live, asked whether he felt under more pressure that day because the club’s owner, Ellis Short, was watching his relegation-threatened side.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Reporter, whether male or female, gets a bit too cocky with their questioning.

In their professional capacity as a journalist in which the manager is contractually obliged.

Manager emphasises that they are the top dog in this place of employment

In HIS place of employment. The journalist is an invited participant fulfilling a contractual obligation.

and that the reporter should show a little more respect. End.

Asking a perfectly reasonable and legitimate question as to whether the manager felt more pressure because the owner was in town? Really?

The way some of these managers think they can talk to and attempt to humiliate reporters doing their job is getting ridiculous.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
How you get xenophobe from that boggles the mind. You must be in a constant state of being offended.

As someone who is neither British nor African it sounds a lot like he's referring to a playing style. One which would indicate wanting players to throw themselves about a bit more and play a more physical style of football(which is less common in African football and more common in British). Because you know, different nations play with different styles...

Or is that xenophobic these days to say countries play different styles to each other?

The fact that the player he says he brought in in his place 'to add a bit more Britishness' is NOT actually British (Rep of Ireland) does add weight to your viewpoint!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The way some of these managers think they can talk to and attempt to humiliate reporters doing their job is getting ridiculous.

Here we will have to disagree. The way which reporters believe that they are entitled to question, poke, tease, belittle and add to the job insecurity of all sorts of people in a position of authority, and not expect to get a less than friendly reaction back is what is ridiculous in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here