Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] David Gilmour selling his Hove seafront house . £15 Million

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wasn't talking about the bit near the river. The areas of "Battersea", "Wandsworth" and "Clapham" are often misunderstood.

There is a large area called "between the commons" - a huge residential block that sits between Clapham Common to the West (which is in Wandsworth) and Wandsworth Common.

Much nearer to Balham in reality.

Running up the middle is Northcote Road.

You should see Gordon Ramsey's place.

One of the reasons for the house prices is that it's quite usual for central London. Very central, residential, arguably the best transport links in London and very "green" with a park and two commons to choose from.

If living off Wandsworth Common isn't "upmarket" I'm not sure what is.

Technically just outside the border of "Battersea" there is the "toast rack" where a number of celebs live.

Do black cabs now go south of the river?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With the money they earn they probably live there.

I remember watching a documentary about london cabbies a few decades ago....was a fascinating program. One thing I remember was the researcher looked into how much money cabbies earned (or declared they earned) versus the houses they lived in.....the two seemed quite far apart :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I love the location, not overly busy or noisy like Brighton & not boring & isolated like Saltdean etc but sadly out of my budget by quite a bit !

I’m not sure you know Saltdean very well.
Saltdean is a very popular place to live, many people from London and central Brighton have moved there, plenty of large good quality houses there and also lots of the bungalows are being developed with extensions and loft conversions.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I've got an "in" as I setup WiFi for his roadies and manager whilst he was rehearsing. And everyone else who had dealings with them got free tickets and I didn't so I reckon he'll let me have it for £50 as an apology.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Apologies I was referring to the lack of decent coffee shops , bakeries & independent restaurants in the area , in fact the whole area from Roedean to Peacehaven , it just looks all very light on these types of facilities . I guess you can always drive to kemp town .

You do realise some people can live in a nice property and area without the need to stroll to the end of the road to buy an expensive coffee. ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You do realise some people can live in a nice property and area without the need to stroll to the end of the road to buy an expensive coffee. ???

Since when?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Saltdean is a very popular place to live, many people from London and central Brighton have moved there, plenty of large good quality houses there and also lots of the bungalows are being developed with extensions and loft conversions.

Been here 23yrs now, but we originally didn't want to move to Saltdean because it was "full of old fogies".
Well, we are now the old(ish) fogies - but its a great place to live. Yes, its quieter than other places, but that suits us perfectly. Cant see us moving anywhere else now tbh.
We have the shops within walking distance, we overlook the beach & the Tye, and its within easy reach of Brighton, Newhaven, and Lewes etc.
Our kids were raised and schooled here...and they love it too.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hope Dave doesn't have any viewings this morning. He'll need to do more than put on a coffee pot to create a lovely aroma.

In the early morning someone was bottled|stabbed outside the Neptune (probably well after closing time so no link) and left a mass of blood drops outside and on the walls of all the cottages. Outside Dave's Garden door they've written ZUBR in blood (word for an extinct Bison). Stumbled by Marrocco's and then left a few pints of blood at the entrance to the flats. No body, no Police and no ambulance.
Hove hasn't changed too much.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

It’s not the property that’s my issue it’s the lack of facilities in the area . Where are all the decent coffee shops , bakeries , independent restaurants? I guess the people that live in Saltdean either don’t mind not having these facilities or are prepared to drive to get to them . Saltdean is not a cheap area so I’m surprised that people would wish to pay say £750k for a house there but not have those facilities plus you have a half an hour drive into Brighton in rush hour . I just don’t personally get why that’s appealing to many people .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It’s not the property that’s my issue it’s the lack of facilities in the area . Where are all the decent coffee shops , bakeries , independent restaurants? I guess the people that live in Saltdean either don’t mind not having these facilities or are prepared to drive to get to them . Saltdean is not a cheap area so I’m surprised that people would wish to pay say £750k for a house there but not have those facilities plus you have a half an hour drive into Brighton in rush hour . I just don’t personally get why that’s appealing to many people .

As pointed out in the other post having a coffee shop on the doorstep isn’t essential for many people, most people manage to make coffee in their own kitchen.
I very much doubt families with young children are worried about having a local coffee shop.

Saltdean has the beach at one end and also a Lido, at the other end is the countryside, in the middle is a nice park. I would imagine for many people this is an ideal location.
Most of the properties have driveways and garages, there is also plenty of free on street parking for their visitors.

Longridge Avenue has got shops that sell coffee and cakes and on the seafront by the Lido there is a nice cafe.
Also Rottingdean that is actually within walking distance for many Saltdean residents has coffee shops, a decent bakers, at least 5 pubs that serve food and some cafes / restaurants.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Boundary Road now has TWO good pubs, TWO good Thai takeaways, artisan coffee place, Tiba for excellent vegetables, bread and spices, Bubble Tea (which also does dumplings and sushi) and a Japanese cafe and takeaway that does top quality Japanese teas.

And it's still a f***ing shithole :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Boundary Road now has TWO good pubs, TWO good Thai takeaways, artisan coffee place, Tiba for excellent vegetables, bread and spices, Bubble Tea (which also does dumplings and sushi) and a Japanese cafe and takeaway that does top quality Japanese teas.

And it's still a f***ing shithole :lolol:
Boundary Road would be a paradise without you Station Road plebs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here