Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Busby

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
I'm trying to locate information on David Busby for a fellow radio presenter who thinks he was the first black player for the Albion.

My internet research is drawing a blank.

I'm sure the wealth of knowledge on NSC can resolve this one.

Does anyone have memories of him, and was he indeed the first black player for the club?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
As far as I'm aware he was our first black player. He made one appearance in the 74/75 season away to Blackburn and was sub on a further two occasions. I remeber him playing for Worthing after being released by the Albion
& he was an outstanding player at that level. I think he subsequently had a trial with Blackpool which didn't work out. He was a superb non league player but just not quite good enough for the pro game.

sayers commoner

Apr 29, 2010
If you are interested I can get you Buzza's home or mobile so that you can contact him. He is a very old firend of mine and now lives and works in London

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
If you are interested I can get you Buzza's home or mobile so that you can contact him. He is a very old firend of mine and now lives and works in London

Thanks very much for that. I've added you to my contacts and I'll speak to my friend to see if she wants to take that further. We are a local based internet and social media station that is building a following in town. We have a number programmes which feature minority groups and interests and David's name was raised by a guest on a programme this morning. Thanks once again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tim Carder & Roger Harris's wonderbook 'ALBION A-Z Who's Who of BHAFC' is your friend in this case. There's a full quarter page on the player, complete with photo, detailed to the nth degree ('born: Paddington, London 27.7.1956 Ht 5 10, Wt 11 08'). Write up begins with the words 'The first black player to appear in Albion's first team, Dave Busby was born in London but went to school in Sussex at Heathfield where one of his fellow pupils was Frank Bruno'. There's several hundred more words where that came from! I'd recommend tracking that book down, it's amazing. Even more amazing is Tim had a big stack of them he was selling off for £1.50 apiece at an Albion raceday a few years back. Madness!

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
Tim Carder & Roger Harris's wonderbook 'ALBION A-Z Who's Who of BHAFC' is your friend in this case. There's a full quarter page on the player, complete with photo, detailed to the nth degree ('born: Paddington, London 27.7.1956 Ht 5 10, Wt 11 08'). Write up begins with the words 'The first black player to appear in Albion's first team, Dave Busby was born in London but went to school in Sussex at Heathfield where one of his fellow pupils was Frank Bruno'. There's several hundred more words where that came from! I'd recommend tracking that book down, it's amazing. Even more amazing is Tim had a big stack of them he was selling off for £1.50 apiece at an Albion raceday a few years back. Madness!

You know, I used to bemoan NSC and left for a while because all it seemed to be was angry young men with nothing of use to say. I'm glad I came back because there are so many brilliant posters on here who are prepared to take time to offer interesting input and help others out as well.

I'll look up your suggestion and thanks for taking time to respond.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You know, I used to bemoan NSC and left for a while because all it seemed to be was angry young men with nothing of use to say. I'm glad I came back because there are so many brilliant posters on here who are prepared to take time to offer interesting input and help others out as well.

I'll look up your suggestion and thanks for taking time to respond.

:thumbsup:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
And now it costs £29.75 for a used copy from Amazon :( Although I did manage to find this whilst I was looking, which I hadn't come across before (not that it has much to do with David Busby, apart from him being listed there :) ).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here