image.jpeg

Will treasure my Xmas gift even more than I already did :-(

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP David
great songs, great films
"The Hunger" the best ever vampire film,once seen never forgotten.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
No one that I never met means more to me than David Bowie. I am absolutely gutted.I have spent more time listening to Bowie than anyone else. I love music and he IS as good as it gets.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
No one that I never met means more to me than David Bowie. I am absolutely gutted.I have spent more time listening to Bowie than anyone else. I love music and he IS as good as it gets.

Crikey. I hope you're not married then. And, have no children.

That said, he was a genius. He made errors, but he made them so that he could then go on to create genius music.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just goes to show that no matter how talented, famous, iconic, rich or powerful you are, cancer respects no-one. Blackstar must have taken a gigantic effort, knowing that he was dying while making it - respect.

RIP.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So sad news. Video below is from the day back in 1977 when me and my brother were lucky enough to watch him nail 'Heroes' on Top Of The Pops, live, in a single take (the same show that The Stranglers did 'No More Heroes' btw). Later, shortly after the recording, Iman, then his PA, chewed the ears off us big daft boys for disturbing DB for an autograph while he was reading a book at a quietly tucked-away table in the BBC Bar. We retreated suitably shamefaced to a table at the other end of the bar. A few minutes later I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was David Bowie. 'You wanted an autograph, boys?'. We were gobsmacked by his kind gesture. True artist and a proper gent. RIP David.

:bowdown:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Crikey. I hope you're not married then. And, have no children.

That said, he was a genius. He made errors, but he made them so that he could then go on to create genius music.

He's probably met his wife and children, if he's got any...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Absolutely all of this.

A completely true and genuine artist. One of a kind.

Never felt a personal loss over a "celebrity" death before. And I emphasise those quotation marks very heavily, as to refer to David Bowie as a celebrity would be tantamount to heresy, really.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
He never ever impressed me either as a musician or a person. I guess we're all entitled to our own opinions.

Guess you're the sort of person that would turn up at a funeral and shout out: "Never liked him [the deceased] that much anyway!"

You are quite right that everyone is entitled to their opinion BUT there is life etiquette that says some things are best left unsaid - you would do well to learn this skill.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He never ever impressed me either as a musician or a person. I guess we're all entitled to our own opinions.

Literally the most pointless post I've ever seen in the history of NSC.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
His music was sublime and a big part of my musical youth. The most mind-blowingly fab thing about the Olympics in 2012 was when the British team came into Heroes. What an absolute icon.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As well as David Bowie being a favourite of mine, another fave is Luther Vandross, who is a backing singer for the legend on Young Americans :bowdown:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

You are but I don't think you're being realistic.

If a person like Bowie fails to impress you in any way I actually pity you a little. I'm no uber fan as my parents weren't his greatest fans either (but they still sing along to some tunes) so I wasn't bought up on him but if you have an shred of music knowledge, taste or emotion you'd connect with him one way or another. Bowie showed the world you can be yourself, someone else, just as long as you bring joy to others.

The world has less colour in it today.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Whenever I'm feeling down I youtube the "dancing in the Street" video with Mick Jagger and I laugh.

For that, I will always be thankful.

Literally watched a BBC documentary on him yesterday so very eerie hearing the news first thing.

RIP.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
RIP

Radio 6 is playing lots of Bowie this morning and reading out peoples memories of the great man.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You are but I don't think you're being realistic.

If a person like Bowie fails to impress you in any way I actually pity you a little. I'm no uber fan as my parents weren't his greatest fans either (but they still sing along to some tunes) so I wasn't bought up on him but if you have an shred of music knowledge, taste or emotion you'd connect with him one way or another. Bowie showed the world you can be yourself, someone else, just as long as you bring joy to others.

The world has less colour in it today.

Great post that. Not EVERYONE is a Bowie super-fan, but surely anyone with a brain / a heart / functionning EARS can appreciate that he was pretty special, even if not your own personal favourite?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here