Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Blaine's stunt set to finish

MRRF 10

Illusionist David Blaine is entering the final day of his starvation stunt amid warnings that he could die when he starts taking food again.

For the last 44 days Blaine has been suspended in a small, transparent container next to London's Tower Bridge, with water apparently his only sustenance.

In the run-up to his release there has been speculation that the US magician may have tricked the public.

But according to the latest medical briefing on his condition, Blaine shows signs of starvation.

His re-introduction to food must be managed carefully to avoid potentially serious problems, including sudden death from "re-feeding syndrome", the briefing said.

Nutrition expert Professor Marinos Elia, who prepared the briefing, said Blaine showed several symptoms of starvation and appeared "visibly thinner" than when he entered his box.

The water which has apparently been the only substance Blaine has consumed during the stunt contained no detectable solids, such as glucose or sodium, said Professor Elia from the University of Southampton.

Blaine has suffered dizziness and temporary visual problems "as if blacking out" when he stands up and he has felt weaker and more lethargic, the briefing said.

The cold nights have also had "a draining effect" on him.

"These features, which are typical of starvation, have also been accompanied by other symptoms, such as shooting pains in different parts of his body, abdominal discomfort, nausea, and some irregular heart beats."

The briefing concluded: "There is a need for careful nutritional and clinical management of David Blaine after the fast, not only because of the specific symptoms he has experienced during the fast, but also because inappropriate feeding can precipitate serious problems including sudden death (the re-feeding syndrome)."

In the immediate aftermath of his quest, Blaine will gradually build up his strength with mineral supplements and foodstuffs, his spokesman claimed.

"He won't be able to start eating properly for some period of time," said the spokesman. "He could be in hospital for a few days or more than a week."

He said the magician could take as long as six months to recover his muscle strength and be fully restored to fitness.

Blaine's girlfriend, Manon van Gerkan, who has been in regular contact and mounted a vigil outside his box to ward off egg throwers, said she was looking forward to seeing him.

"I'm very proud of David and I can't wait to see him," she said. "I would like to thank everybody for their tremendous support."

An estimated 250,000 people are thought to have visited the site between September 5 and the end of the stunt.

The self-styled Houdini is expected to be released from his glass cell between 9pm and 10pm tonight before a crowd of thousands.

He will be placed on a stretcher and taken from the scene to a private hospital.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And does anyone really care ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Pointless exercise, who cares ? Went right past him on Friday (on a boat up the Thames and completely forgot to look.

Sam

Formerly "Sambo"
Jul 22, 2003
Oxfordshire
i read in the paper today, that hen he gets better he is going to jump off a new york bridge and reapear along the river at a different landmark.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
did anyone see the piss take of david blanie in the box on the way down to bournemouth yesterday on that craine??? :lolol: :lolol:

SeagullSimon

Jul 5, 2003
Kent Uni; Bexhill
yep :D

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
filthy said:
did anyone see the piss take of david blanie in the box on the way down to bournemouth yesterday on that craine??? :lolol: :lolol:

Yes I saw that, next to the BEAVER centre in Chichester :D

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
_39470582_bridge203.jpg

This idiot is doing this stunt for no more than financial gain. Many in Africa are starving through no fault of their own, whether it be famine, war, corrupt regimes etc. Maybe Blaine may wish to donate all his "sponsorship" money towards helping feed these people??.............Somehow I doubt it!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thank goodness it's over, now whats next on the red interactive button :p

Froggy

Oct 7, 2003
London
i watched it hoping that he was gonna do soemthing like jump out onto a big pile of cardboard boxes like in NY. but what a load of old shite!!!:yawn:
that stupid american attention seeking money grabbing skinny (but at the same time quite fat) bastard has takn an hour of my life and i want it back!!:angry: :angry:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A fantastic effort by the superb David Blaine. Just an old fashioned endurance test nothing more nothing less surviving on water for 44 days. Being in solitary with no comforts or distractions living on his wits alone. A great feat of human endurance and mind over matter which noone else could match.

He lost 4 stone and showed what the human spirit was capable of.

There was nothing in his water thats it, the cynics which is the way of the world now will never believe that but they could not have lasted 1 day away from the comfy worlds.

Well done David.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here