Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Leicester City, Burnley, Sheffield United, Newcastle United. Just for starters.

2 points.

1 - I think we can safely say Tony isn't talking about a one season anomaly, Burnley and Championship Sheffield.
B - Tielemans £32m, Joelynton £40m. (proving if you're gonna do it, do it right)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just three years ago Ajax reached the CL semi final without having made one single £20m+ transfer in the history of the club (subsequently they've signed Sebastian Haller for that fee, but point stands). Just ten years ago a team won the CL with 7 academy products in the starting eleven.

You dont need to spend big cash... it helps and speeds up the process but it isnt a necessity.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just three years ago Ajax reached the CL semi final without having made one single £20m+ transfer in the history of the club (subsequently they've signed Sebastian Haller for that fee, but point stands). Just ten years ago a team won the CL with 7 academy products in the starting eleven.

You dont need to spend big cash... it helps and speeds up the process but it isnt a necessity.

Very good point. Have to confess to being as guilty as anyone in terms of wanting a quick win.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

They got very lucky with amazing youth players coming through at the right time. Their team now is painfully average and I think we would give them a good game at this point.

But yer no reason why Brighton can't do what Ajax have done if we get the perfect storm with youth coming through (which seems to be happening to an extent at the momentum)

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They got very lucky with amazing youth players coming through at the right time. Their team now is painfully average and I think we would give them a good game at this point.

But yer no reason why Brighton can't do what Ajax have done if we get the perfect storm with youth coming through (which seems to be happening to an extent at the momentum)

Lucky... yes, sure. Thats how they do it.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Lucky... yes, sure. Thats how they do it.
Ok so how come their team is rubbish now then?

Surely the formula works all the time ? No,they have a golden generation for a year or 2 then 20 years of mediocrity.

I noticed the other day Ajax have only won two games against English opposition in the last 20 or so years.

Still in worldwide terms they are punching abover their weight though.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
There was no luck involved,just a lot of hard work

Unfortunately some posters wan quick fixes.More fool them
There was luck involved. But their set up is second to none to allow that luck to happen occasionally.

And we are set up pretty similar now so exciting times ahead.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

It's a lot easier to do that in the Dutch League.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

Ajax have been ‘lucky’ for decades nurturing and bringing through exceptional talent from their academy. Unfortunately for them, the financial structure of the club means that talent is regularly sold on. Most Ajax supporters are proud of that system.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There was luck involved. But their set up is second to none to allow that luck to happen occasionally.

You almost seem to be arguing both sides here. Their setup does not involve 'luck'. It is pragmatic as they aren't prepared or in a position to compete with the money laden playthings of oligarchs and Gulf states. Sometimes, things click - they come together, but that is not luck, it is a great scouting and coaching system.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ok so how come their team is rubbish now then?

Surely the formula works all the time ? No,they have a golden generation for a year or 2 then 20 years of mediocrity.

I noticed the other day Ajax have only won two games against English opposition in the last 20 or so years.

Still in worldwide terms they are punching abover their weight though.

Its not rubbish. Nope they cant compete all the time because they are in an eternal process of building and rebuilding because they can not compete with the wealthy clubs of Europe all the time but they can every now and then and thats the best thing you could hope for. If they shut down their academy and tried to out-buy the other clubs of Europe, they would never compete. If Brighton could do something similar and reach the CL quarter finals every five years or so... people should realistically see it as pretty sufficient.

It's a lot easier to do that in the Dutch League.

Sure. Or in the Spanish league (you know, the one with the most CL and EL victories).

Ferguson: "The one that made the biggest impression on me is the Barcelona we met at Wembley, with Manchester United, in the final of the Champions League 2011. They were unplayable."

That Barcelona side had 7 academy products in the starting eleven, despite Puyol being on the bench with a minor injury. Two years later a Bayern Munich side with five former academy players won the CL.

Its easier to buy success but if your academy can produce 5+ world class players and your scouting department can find young players who turn into class players, it can take you pretty far.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Its not rubbish. Nope they cant compete all the time because they are in an eternal process of building and rebuilding because they can not compete with the wealthy clubs of Europe all the time but they can every now and then and thats the best thing you could hope for. If they shut down their academy and tried to out-buy the other clubs of Europe, they would never compete. If Brighton could do something similar and reach the CL quarter finals every five years or so... people should realistically see it as pretty sufficient.

Sure. Or in the Spanish league (you know, the one with the most CL and EL victories).

Ferguson: "The one that made the biggest impression on me is the Barcelona we met at Wembley, with Manchester United, in the final of the Champions League 2011. They were unplayable."

That Barcelona side had 7 academy products in the starting eleven, despite Puyol being on the bench with a minor injury. Two years later a Bayern Munich side with five former academy players won the CL.

Its easier to buy success but if your academy can produce 5+ world class players and your scouting department can find young players who turn into class players, it can take you pretty far.

It's almost like all the best kids go to the biggest teams in those leagues.

Barcelona, Bayern Munich...

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If Brighton could do something similar and reach the CL quarter finals every five years or so... people should realistically see it as pretty sufficient.

1st quote: you have absolutely nailed understatement there.

2nd quote: you can add Man United 99 in there too. Giggs, Beckham, Scholes, G.Neville, P. Neville and Butt. Although Phil Neville and Nicky Butt are maybe a little lucky to be put in the same bracket as Messi, Iniesta, Lahm etc.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

In the last 25 years Ajax have got to the quarter finals twice and the semis once, so a decent season on average in Europe once every 12.5 years.

These days a lot more clubs including ourselves are copying their formula of buying and nurturing young talent.

They've had their day and I don't think they'll ever make the quarters again. Dont get me wrong they have overachieved I'm not doubting that and they are very well organised.

We will have to agree to disagree on their current side.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Back to Nunez.

I’am more convinced than ever that Benfica will sell one of their Strikers now. It really is their policy to bring in a load of money from a huge transfer each year.

For me, it’s just a question of whether it is Darwin or Carlos Vinícius (could be yours for £54m+)

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-scouts-carlos-vinicius-24800955.amp

If Carlos Vinícius is sold, I reckon that’s the Nunez deal over. 5 exciting days to follow this to see how it develops.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

There is a lot of money being spent on youth by some clubs though, even that route requires a huge investment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here