[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am quite lukewarm about Nunez and haven’t heard of any enthusiasm about him wanting to come here. He’s already binned us once, at least Cucurella seems keen to come here, if he can escape!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I am quite lukewarm about Nunez and haven’t heard of any enthusiasm about him wanting to come here. He’s already binned us once, at least Cucurella seems keen to come here, if he can escape!

I personally think this may be over now, though unhappy if that is true as young Darwin looks an extremely promising striker with great attributes and bags of potential. There’s a real superstar in the making imho.

It’s probably a bit unfair to suggest he hasn’t had any enthusiasm to come here or binned us off. Nobody really knows. I’d be pretty certain when he was at Segunda B Almeria if we were in for him alone, he would’ve jumped at it. Fact is the biggest club in Portugal, domestic title chasers most seasons, European cup winners with European football came knocking, playing in a climate and possibly a second language more familiar to a young Uruguayan man, and as others have said…..put yourself in his shoes without any Albion emotion or bias and what would you really do if it was Benfica or perennial relegation battlers on paper?

He is also being advised no doubt by his agent who likely saw Benfica as the better career step to greater things and riches, as has been proven with a number of other players leaving their for big moves to the upper ends of the top leagues.

And now he’s contracted to Benfica there’s little much he can do unless Benfica agree or want to sell, even if Nunez wanted to move…… I’m not convinced his agent is keen on Brighton, he seems to love to shout about interest from sexier clubs like Roma, but always wants to downplay our interest.

Nunez has little say at this stage, and whatever he wants has to be approved by Benfica and possibly he may need his agent to advise it’s a good move, which we haven’t seen or heard once yet.

Who knows how Darwin really feels, but he is a quality young player destined for bigger things.

Hope without expectation, Fingers crossed emoji!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I personally think this may be over now, though unhappy if that is true as young Darwin looks an extremely promising striker with great attributes and bags of potential. There’s a real superstar in the making imho.

It’s probably a bit unfair to suggest he hasn’t had any enthusiasm to come here or binned us off. Nobody really knows. I’d be pretty certain when he was at Segunda B Almeria if we were in for him alone, he would’ve jumped at it. Fact is the biggest club in Portugal, domestic title chasers most seasons, European cup winners with European football came knocking, playing in a climate and possibly a second language more familiar to a young Uruguayan man, and as others have said…..put yourself in his shoes without any Albion emotion or bias and what would you really do if it was Benfica or perennial relegation battlers on paper?

He is also being advised no doubt by his agent who likely saw Benfica as the better career step to greater things and riches, as has been proven with a number of other players leaving their for big moves to the upper ends of the top leagues.

And now he’s contracted to Benfica there’s little much he can do unless Benfica agree or want to sell, even if Nunez wanted to move…… I’m not convinced his agent is keen on Brighton, he seems to love to shout about interest from sexier clubs like Roma, but always wants to downplay our interest.

Nunez has little say at this stage, and whatever he wants has to be approved by Benfica and possibly he may need his agent to advise it’s a good move, which we haven’t seen or heard once yet.

Who knows how Darwin really feels, but he is a quality young player destined for bigger things.

Hope without expectation, Fingers crossed emoji!

Reasonable assumptions but I am affronted by any player who isn’t GAGGING to come to us :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I won't be too disappointed if we don't get Nunez - especiall iif he doesn't really want to come here. I also think Potter may not be that bothered (yes, I know it's been well-proven that it's impossible to out-guess Potter, so I'll just exercise my right to speculate wildly!)
The way Potter seems to be setting us up (and it certainly looked that way last night) is to have a flexible front three of attacking players rather than fully paid up out and out strikers - players like Mac Allister, Moder, Trossard, Richards - even Zeqiri. All players with an eye for goal. Just a thought. I hope we get Cucurella over the line though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I won't be too disappointed if we don't get Nunez - especiall iif he doesn't really want to come here. I also think Potter may not be that bothered (yes, I know it's been well-proven that it's impossible to out-guess Potter, so I'll just exercise my right to speculate wildly!)
The way Potter seems to be setting us up (and it certainly looked that way last night) is to have a flexible front three of attacking players rather than fully paid up out and out strikers - players like Mac Allister, Moder, Trossard, Richards - even Zeqiri. All players with an eye for goal. Just a thought. I hope we get Cucurella over the line though.

I'm not greedy, l just want both! :)

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I’m not really into buying a single entity for £30 million, it’s a huge risk for a club of our size and stature… how much better is he than Welbeck? Maupay, even Zeqiri … ? I’m just not convinced we should break our new model and go all out for one player … is it me ? Or does that seem out of keeping with our actual development strategy ? Unless we’re utterly convinced he’s the next £100 million player, I’d rather we retained liquidity and forged ahead with developing talent.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I’m not really into buying a single entity for £30 million, it’s a huge risk for a club of our size and stature… how much better is he than Welbeck? Maupay, even Zeqiri … ? I’m just not convinced we should break our new model and go all out for one player … is it me ? Or does that seem out of keeping with our actual development strategy ? Unless we’re utterly convinced he’s the next £100 million player, I’d rather we retained liquidity and forged ahead with developing talent.

Times change, who would have thought we would be selling players for 50 million.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld

Seeing as tb has stated he wants to have us top 10 you don’t get that position without spending 30 mil plus on players

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Hopefully as I said b4 we haven't spent the whole window chasing a guy who probably still doesn't want to come here. Looks like the strikers we have are what we move forward with.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Totally agree - as I said above, I won't be at all disappointed if the Nunez deal doesn't happen.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

You are on to something but I don’t think our development strategy is yielding many top level strikers or left wing backs. We needed to spend £40m+ on Webster and Maupay in 2019 and we need to plug two gaps with top quality once again.

Looking at the game last night, I also suspect these big transfers will get quite rare as the years go on and our academy matures but Tony is clearly prepared to spend a big chunk (if not all) of the Ben White fee on a striker and left wing back.

The frustrations of screwing up our finishing in almost every match last season still hurt. The words ‘if Brighton could finish’ or ‘if Brighton had a decent striker’ have probably been said thousands and thousands of times across the globe by pundits and fans alike, it was almost our hashtag last year. I for one was absolutely sick of watching us play well, only for someone like Connolly to miss an open goal or something. Like other fans, Tony would have had enough too. He is clearly looking at fixing this issue.

If you are still worried about the Nunez fee (and it’s a long shot to get him imho), check out his showreels. He has a huge ceiling, his decision making is something very very special.

In addition, I can see Bissouma leaving next year at some point for £60m+ as I think it’s impossible for us to keep a player of his level; we’re little Brighton, how have we got the best defensive midfielder in the division? The money will keep pouring in and we’ve saved millions on salaries so far this window with a good clear out having taken place.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
You are on to something but I don’t think our development strategy is yielding many top level strikers or left wing backs. We needed to spend £40m+ on Webster and Maupay in 2019 and we need to plug two gaps with top quality once again.

Looking at the game last night, I also suspect these big transfers will get quite rare as the years go on and our academy matures but Tony is clearly prepared to spend a big chunk (if not all) of the Ben White fee on a striker and left wing back.

The frustrations of screwing up our finishing in almost every match last season still hurt. The words ‘if Brighton could finish’ or ‘if Brighton had a decent striker’ have probably been said thousands and thousands of times across the globe by pundits and fans alike, it was almost our hashtag last year. I for one was absolutely sick of watching us play well, only for someone like Connolly to miss an open goal or something. Like other fans, Tony would have had enough too. He is clearly looking at fixing this issue.

If you are still worried about the Nunez fee (and it’s a long shot to get him imho), check out his showreels. He has a huge ceiling, his decision making is something very very special.

In addition, I can see Bissouma leaving next year at some point for £60m+ as I think it’s impossible for us to keep a player of his level; we’re little Brighton, how have we got the best defensive midfielder in the division? The money will keep pouring in and we’ve saved millions on salaries so far this window with a good clear out having taken place.

Top post - yes, you could be on to something too and (yes) the above makes quite satisfying reading.

I have to say, if we get him, I trust Tony et al to have done the maths as it were and calculated the risk etc. after all, who am I to judge? Ermmm no one really. I like to be cautious, but I guess that’s just me.

Here’s hoping the above scenario is how our immediate future pans out.

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Seeing as tb has stated he wants to have us top 10 you don’t get that position without spending 30 mil plus on players

And then there’s Joelinton (ahem)

Lol

Cripes let’s hope any big punt we do take turns out a better gamble than Newcastle took!

I guess in that respect Nunez represents a low risk bargain.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

I don't think you need to worry about the clubs liquidity, its Tony's money and if he did see fit to spend £30 million on a player then I am pretty confident that he would know what he is doing! He has a very sound track record in business and has done a tremendous job of managing the club after all!

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I personally think Darwin Nunez has huge potential for a player that is only 22 and the club obviously see that which is why they are going back in for him.

Unfortunately I don't think we will get him, but if we did it would be a massive coup for the club and as fans we should enjoy the fact that we are even in the race for these types of players.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Hopefully as I said b4 we haven't spent the whole window chasing a guy who probably still doesn't want to come here. Looks like the strikers we have are what we move forward with.
Apparently Nunez has decided to join us a decision was made over the last few days, just the fee to be thrashed out between the clubs.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I personally think Darwin Nunez has huge potential for a player that is only 22 and the club obviously see that which is why they are going back in for him.

Unfortunately I don't think we will get him, but if we did it would be a massive coup for the club and as fans we should enjoy the fact that we are even in the race for these types of players.

If we fail, we’ll be pretty light up front in terms of ability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports