Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Looks like Almeria have reversed their decision and said they no longer want any players in the deal. Does that bring us back into play?

Benfica do not give up on Almeria striker Darwin Nuñez. The deal will be practically closed, but with a novelty in the negotiation process: Almeria is no longer interested in receiving the pass from Benfica players.

The reds hoped to be able to lower the transfer fee by including some surplus players in the deal, but the Spaniards are uncompromising and demand € 24 million for Darwin Nuñez.

https://twitter.com/tvi24ultimas/status/1300854817301106689?s=21

In a way I hope it doesn’t.
The player really wants Benfica

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I'm sure it wont, but I hope it does. He's a top player, however he ends up here I'd take it. Sloppy seconds...... no problem.

Benfica is a global name and one of the best in a country. Brighton is neither and more of a leap into the unknown i guess. Benfica with potential for champions league also....... It easy to see the reasons why he may want Benfica more, but I dont think he wouldn't like it here (of which I guess he knows far less about). If he ended up here, his disappointment will be short lived as like all players, he needs to do his talking on the pitch, his performances and career will depend on it. Even if he is ending up not at his preferred first choice (if that is true) I'm sure pragmatism will prevail, he will want to showcase his ability wherever he is, to prove he's got it, to be like his idol Edison Cavani.

Get him here by any means possible, the Benfica 'first choice' thing (even if true) wont stop him banging them in for whomever has the fortune of his signature.He wont be thinking of Benfica as he nuts one in at the Amex.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

We've heard he prefers Benfica via Chinese whispers, but I'm not really sure how this translates to him having an undying love for the club that completely rules us out of any transfer battle. If we were to...say...up the wages a little bit or something, it could be different.

DISCLAIMER:
I still fully 1000% expect him to sign for Benfica

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm sure it wont, but I hope it does. He's a top player, however he ends up here I'd take it. Sloppy seconds...... no problem.

Benfica is a global name and one of the best in a country. Brighton is neither and more of a leap into the unknown i guess. Benfica with potential for champions league also....... It easy to see the reasons why he wants Benfica, but I dont think he wouldn't like it here (of which I guess he knows far less about). If he ended up here, his disappointment will be short lived as like all players, he needs to do his talking on the pitch, his performances and career will depend on it. Even if he is ending up not at his preferred first choice (if that is true) I'm sure pragmatism will prevail, he will want to showcase his ability wherever he is, to prove he's got it, to be like his idol Edison Cavani.

Get him here by any means possible, the Benfica 'first choice' thing (even if true) wont stop him banging them in for whomever has the fortune of his signature.He wont be thinking of Benfica as he nuts one in at the Amex.

Hear what you’re saying, but what about the player who went from Bayern to Swansea against his will. .?sanchez

I think it works better if the player is 100% committed rather than us being a sloppy second.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Don’t get all the excitement from a let’s face it would be a punt. Could be an Ulloa or if unlucky a Locadia at this point.

We aren't in the market for established but young players. We have to take a punt. If you can't see the excitement, then no-one can help.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Hear what you’re saying, but what about the player who went from Bayern to Swansea against his will. .?sanchez

I think it works better if the player is 100% committed rather than us being a sloppy second.

I don't think us not being first choice equals a player who isn't committed. As we grow as a club, the calibre of players we need will change. No hotshot South American wonderkid will have Brighton as their first choice, particularly when a club like Benfica comes calling. The onus then falls on us to persuade them.

If we limit ourselves to players who are falling over themselves to get a move to a mid table PL club, we're unlikely to improve the squad quality significantly. There are times when we'll have to swallow our pride and do everything we can (or maybe allow circumstance to assist) in order to secure these top players.

If the player absolutely didn't want to be here we would've stopped chasing weeks ago. But as it stands, we're the small fish in this battle and it is our job to persuade. I do wonder if COVID has perhaps fouled things up a little with regards to stadium, facility tours for potential signings, that is a well known tactic to persuade players of our project

Either way, I think if we DO land him (which I vehemently doubt), I have every confidence that he's happy to be employed by us. And we as a fanbase need to get used to these kinds of scenarios if we want to battle the big boys for the big talent, and not cut our nose off to spite our face because we aren't a players first choice.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I get where you're coming from too, but its all rumours "player wants Benfica" as reported and if true, doesn't necessarily mean player doesn't want Brighton at all.

Im guessing he didnt think wow Almeria, segunda B a year ago, it was possibly the best of the offers available. Maybe he sees benfica as the best of the offers available, but that isnt the same as doesnt want to come to Brighton.

If I booked a week in Benidorm and i was offered instead an upgrade choice of 2 weeks in Dominican republic or 2 weeks in the Maldives, I know I'd prefer the latter, but would still be happy enough with Dom Rep if latter wasnt available as it is clearly a damn site better than the present incumbent.

He's Benfica's to lose by the sounds of it

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I get where you're coming from too, but its all rumours "player wants Benfica" as reported and if true, doesn't necessarily mean player doesn't want Brighton at all.

Im guessing he didnt think wow Almeria, segunda B a year ago, it was possibly the best of the offers available. Maybe he sees benfica as the best of the offers available, but that isnt the same as doesnt want to come to Brighton.

If I booked a week in Benidorm and i was offered instead an upgrade choice of 2 weeks in Dominican republic or 2 weeks in the Maldives, I know I'd prefer the latter, but would still be happy enough with Dom Rep if latter wasnt available as it is clearly a damn site better than the present incumbent.

He's Benfica's to lose by the sounds of it

All very fair, well made points.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Looks like Almeria have reversed their decision and said they no longer want any players in the deal. Does that bring us back into play?

Benfica do not give up on Almeria striker Darwin Nuñez. The deal will be practically closed, but with a novelty in the negotiation process: Almeria is no longer interested in receiving the pass from Benfica players.

The reds hoped to be able to lower the transfer fee by including some surplus players in the deal, but the Spaniards are uncompromising and demand € 24 million for Darwin Nuñez.

https://twitter.com/tvi24ultimas/status/1300854817301106689?s=21

Like Almeria were ever interested in a player exchange (except for one that Benfica won’t give them).

Throw another €1m in the pot Tony! That should rattle the Piri Piri lickers!

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I'm obviously not sure what's actually true.
But I keep thinking the following, for some reason, based on hearing what the agent supposedly has said:

It feels like the agent may see Benfica as a good "shop window" and stepping stone to a really big club.
So, sell to Benfica this year. Bang in goals for free. Sell to a top Premier League or La Liga club next year. Cha ching $$$.

Or, sell to Brighton. Brighton improves. Brighton holds onto player for more than one year. Possible Saha situation.

I dunno, it's just my gut based on these whispers. But I feel like the agent sees a kid who needs another year and then the "deal of a lifetime" (for the agent first and foremost).

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
444B5DAA-B876-4376-9ADF-D698962767AA.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here