Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dartford Crossing by car could cost £140?

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
It would be interesting to know what the construction costs of the tunnels and the bridge were and how much has recouped to date via the tolls.

I would do a FoI request, but it isn't that interesting.
They must make a fortune!
I think they now say the charge covers the "upkeep"???

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Just phoned up and they have c£70 against me. Won't waive and say my lease company have appealed! new to me

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don't dispute what you write about the financial side for one moment, but surely you must have noticed that after the change the bridge is much, much quicker now. the tunnel is better but not as good, because I think they have to control the amount of traffic in the tunnel.

I never ever queued for more than a minute or two to chuck money in the bin coming off of the bridge. I'll will admit that now you just drive straight through, as you say, which clearly is an improvement.

Queuing to go through the tunnel is purely traffic dependent and I've been in some horrendous queues on that section of the M25 enough times. I'm not convinced that had too much to do with the old toll booths alone though, and as you say, nothing has really changed much going that way anyway as you still have to wait for the barrier to go up.

I'm not a regular user to be fair, so perhaps I've just been lucky? Perhaps regular users have noticed a huge difference on traffic flow on a daily basis?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I never ever queued for more than a minute or two to chuck money in the bin coming off of the bridge. I'll will admit that now you just drive straight through, as you say, which clearly is an improvement.

Queuing to go through the tunnel is purely traffic dependent and I've been in some horrendous queues on that section of the M25 enough times. I'm not convinced that had too much to do with the old toll booths alone though, and as you say, nothing has really changed much going that way anyway as you still have to wait for the barrier to go up.

I'm not a regular user to be fair, so perhaps I've just been lucky? Perhaps regular users have noticed a huge difference on traffic flow on a daily basis?
We use it on average once a month to see relatives in Essex, and I suppose our experience is possibly not typical, as we choose times when we suspect it will be quieter. I assume you go up the A21, as we do, and in the evening, will not leave here until about 7.30 to escape the hell of Pembury roadworks as well as the tunnel. I did hear of queues for the tunnel stretching back to junction 3 this morning, but this was apparently after an accident.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I have literally this last 5 mins got VERY lucky thanks to this thread!!

I travelled on there Sunday, completely forget to pay and then my heart sank when I saw this thread and thought "s**t, not paid!"

With trepidation just phoned them, waiting to be told that I had incurred a fine to be told......."due to the back-log, we have not processed yet your penalty letter and so you only have £5 to pay..." Lucky sod I know, because I thought a fine gets activated pdq not 4 days after the crossing!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I have literally this last 5 mins got VERY lucky thanks to this thread!!

I travelled on there Sunday, completely forget to pay and then my heart sank when I saw this thread and thought "s**t, not paid!"

With trepidation just phoned them, waiting to be told that I had incurred a fine to be told......."due to the back-log, we have not processed yet your penalty letter and so you only have £5 to pay..." Lucky sod I know, because I thought a fine gets activated pdq not 4 days after the crossing!

Delighted for you -it is all too easy to forget when there are no booths.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Same as car tax. I didn't receive the reminder and completely forgot. Next thing is I receive a fine of 49 quid. Yes I know it was my own fault (have now put a reminder on my laptop calender) but pretty sure they are relying on raising a few quid this way. C****

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
I went through there (and back) for the Sevilla game and completely forgot until the end of August to pay but never received the PCN, I phoned them up and gave them my car reg and it had me down to pay £72.
Still no PCN, I think it's because I had changed my car a few days before I went.
Not sure what to do :eek:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Received this email recently:

Account Number : xxxxxxxxxxx
Dear xxxxxxxxxxxx,

NOTIFICATION OF LOW DART CHARGE ACCOUNT BALANCE

On 11/ 10/ 2015 your Dart Charge account balance is £9.98, which is below the minimum balance as required in your account terms and conditions.
You can check your current balance and make a payment into your account at www. blah blah blah
You can avoid needing to remember to top-up your account by having an Auto-Top-Up. This can be set up online at www. blah blah blah or by contacting Dart Charge Customer Services using the information above.
Please note that if your account balance goes below £0.00 it will be suspended and you will not be able to use your account to pay for further crossings. You will therefore not benefit from a discount.

Yours sincerely,
sign
Christian Copin
Dart Charge Service Delivery Manager

See what I mean about them trying to pressure everyone into auto top up.

So what's it to be? Think they need to make up their mind about 'terms and conditions' and show a bit of honesty instead of contradicting themselves in the same email and showing what sales trick they're really up to.

As others have said, neat business trick if you can get away with it.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
We went under the tunnel to Suffolk from Sussex and came back a cuppla days later over the bridge. There were no toll charges and we just thought that the crossing had paid for itself now.
However, this morning we received an official penalty demand for £70 for each way as we 'evaded' paying the toll. Evidently you have to prepay online if we want to cross...we certainly didn't know that and what happens to the millions of tourists who also would be oblivious to this.
There is a way out by paying within 14days and it only costing the correct fee of £2.50 each way...but what happens if we missed the letter or are on holiday etc...the penalty is £140. Has anyone else fallen foul to this? Did anyone see the announcement of this new scheme?

Under the tunnel? how the **** did you manage that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here