Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Darren Moore leaves MASSIVE by mutual consent

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd hazard that there are a few fans of Wasps, Worcester and London Irish who might have something to say about that!
I did consider those cases, but ultimately they went down because of Covid. Wasps and their prior move to Coventry might fall into the category I guess.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I can’t laugh at them having a useless, even careless, or even feckless owner, when we’ve been through this in the 90s. No club deserves that.
Exactly. Much as that night at Hillsborough was probably my most depressed as a football fan seeing us lose 0-2 with the feeling of unjustness watching our injury and supsension depleted team facing a fresh Wednesday team, who finished 15 points behind but were able to play their reserves in a dead-rubber league game 6 days earlier, they don't deserve the terrible mis-management of an owner who seems to have turned the reasonably stable club that he bought into a basket case.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fair point, but I do think there needs to be some sort of legal framework governing ownership of any sports club with a community pride element.
I hate to come over all Herr Tubthumper on everyone but it really wouldn't happen in Germany - at least not in the top 2 divisions with the 50+1 rule. And this leads to so much more, cheaper tickets (and therefore better atmosphere), treating people as adults regarding flags, pyro, alcohol. A Chansari over there wouldn't really stand a chance. I fear it's too late for similar to happen here.

Back to Wednesday. For almost the first time I've not used that laughing emoji after their name. I love them losing football matches. I don't want to see them lose their club.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You can play teams in the same division and not get along, but whatever rivalry or tension happened between us and them, their fans don't deserve what this guy is doing to them. I think this situation shows that the fans were absolutely right to be worried about him running their club, if his reaction to criticism is to blackmail them. I hope they manage to get rid of him without damaging the club any further.
The problem that I foresee with getting rid is that he may feel that a fair sale price is for him to get his money back. Another issue is that Sheffield Wednesday don't own Hillsborough; one of Chansiri's non-operating businesses does. Therefore, the risk here, as we're all aware, is that he'll let the club go into admin and cut his own personal losses by selling the stadium.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I did consider those cases, but ultimately they went down because of Covid. Wasps and their prior move to Coventry might fall into the category I guess.
Worcester in particular have suffered at the hands of terrible, devious asset-strippers - up there with Bill Archer. If you've time, this tries to explain it - its properly complicated (though I'm sure with your background you'll understand it far better than me).

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Feel weird about this latest twist, if I'm honest.

On the one hand it's somewhat amusing to picture their arrogant fans plodding around non-league for a bit.

But on the other it's yet another historic football club looking at oblivion because of the money misguidedly spent chasing the Premier League dream.

Not for the first time, nor the last, I'm reminded how incredibly lucky we are to be owned by a local fan.
Needs one to drop. Shame it cant be serial defaulters like Palace or Pompey but if Sheff Weds need to go to straighten things out then so be it. I really think a club has to go properly bust to lessen the gambing on success. It would lead to more control and visibility, more questioning by fans, more engagement and 'ownership' rather than the "haha we're rich, everyone else can f off, you're just jealous" approach. Tough, but innevitable and necessary.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It probably is time for government intervention. The football authorities in this country are too incompetent to police the ownership of century old community clubs and something needs to be done about it. The same basic tests should apply to county cricket, rugby league and union clubs, although I appreciate they aren't really affected for now.

Obviously wouldn't expect this useless sack of shit government to even contemplate it, so it'll have to be a few years from now.
With David Blunkett in charge of VAR as well ? Would be about as effective as government intervention

This isn't funny any more - happy to laugh at their and crap results and completely misplaced fan arrogance but they don't deserve this utter prat in charge. Could happen to any club.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
With David Blunkett in charge of VAR as well ? Would be about as effective as government intervention

This isn't funny any more - happy to laugh at their and crap results and completely misplaced fan arrogance but they don't deserve this utter prat in charge. Could happen to any club.
So we know the football authorities are not capable of making sure the owners are fit and proper. We also know enough is enough. Given that you don't think government intervention would work, what would you do?

At least a government is held to account for the decisions they make.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So we know the football authorities are not capable of making sure the owners are fit and proper. We also know enough is enough. Given that you don't think government intervention would work, what would you do?

At least a government is held to account for the decisions they make.
Independent (non-governmental) regulator

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What would you do ?
I'd have a the government enshrine in law what a fit and proper test actually means. I'd place restrictions on what owners can and can't do once in charge (no saddling a debt free club with millions to fund the purchase, no separation of stadium from the club - that sort of thing. I'd also insist on a percentage of ownership belonging to some sort of every day group of fans. Not necessarily 50%, but enough that they have access to board decisions and visibility on accounts.

Some crappy ombudsman would change absolutely nothing. That's basically what the FA already is.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
What would you do if you were in missive’s fans situation? If you had a spare £100, would you pay it or because of the owner is a dick not pay it?

I remember at Withdean, DK asking the fans for help, and I was happy to help with what I could, but that situation was very different, I trusted DK was doing the best for the club, trying to keep us afloat, while the stadium planning was dragging on and on.

Not sure what I would do if I had the arse in charge of the club.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My flatmate at uni told me that chansiri was a better owner than Bloom. Funny that.
I assume that that was back in around 2016? The majoroty of their fans absolutely loved him back then as all they saw was a rich foreign man with a bottomless pit of family wealth to draw on. They didn't see an incompetent business man with zero clues on how to run a football club. I seem to remember that they even thought they had a chance of landing Dunk and Knockaert in the 2016 summer window!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My flatmate at uni told me that chansiri was a better owner than Bloom. Funny that.
Everyone has their 15 minutes of fame, Chansiri included, but the true test comes over time, Tony Bloom's stock is still rising nearly 15 years after taking the chairman's seat. Where are Chansiri and Sheffield Wednesday now? struggling at the a*** end of the Championshop and struggling to pay their players.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
To get back to the subject of the thread, I don't have too much faith in Darren Moore, harshly dealt with at Massive for sure, but apart from the one promotion he doesn't have too many positives on his cv.

It will be a difficult job at Huddersfield though, and l wish him well.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Needs one to drop. Shame it cant be serial defaulters like Palace or Pompey but if Sheff Weds need to go to straighten things out then so be it. I really think a club has to go properly bust to lessen the gambing on success. It would lead to more control and visibility, more questioning by fans, more engagement and 'ownership' rather than the "haha we're rich, everyone else can f off, you're just jealous" approach. Tough, but innevitable and necessary.
I really don't think it would make any difference, unless it was one of the Big 6. The vast majority of armchair football fans aren't interested in anything outside of them. And armchair football fans is where the money is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here