Oxfordshire
...scores with a penalty v. Plymouth

geoffreyp

Oct 4, 2004
rustington
gets a second 2-0

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It is a hell of a story. Player gets to 30, playing exclusively in the bottom two leagues, gets about 15 games in the Championship and then a move that puts him within touching distance of the Premiership, playing the best football of his life. Good luck to him.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
And we're not doing too badly without him! Funny old game football; Everton finish 4th from Bottom WITH Wayne Rooney, flog him and promptly have a much better season. We sell two of our best players and start showing play-off form!

I'm not quite going to go as far as to say we're enjoying our current mini-good spell BECAUSE we sold Currie and Cullip - but I don't think it's unconnected. If nothing else it sent a clear message to the remaining players that if they perform and a bigger club comes in for them we won't stand in their way. I'm sure sometimes they think, perhaps subconsciously, that playing for an unfashionable club in a converted athletics stadium means they're automatically overlooked when bigger clubs go on recruitment drives. Ipswich and Sheff Utd proved that wasn't the case.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Right now who cares but today's win for Ipswich is worth £250,000 alone.What a crime he went for that.

Why the hell didn't DK arrange a bonus for us if they go up? similar to DC.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Brixtaan said:
Right now who cares but today's win for Ipswich is worth £250,000 alone.What a crime he went for that.

Why the hell didn't DK arrange a bonus for us if they go up? similar to DC.
I think that's being wise after the event. Why didn't they (or anybody else) pick him up on a free transfer from Wycombe in the first place if he was obviously so good?

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Brovian said:
I think that's being wise after the event. Why didn't they (or anybody else) pick him up on a free transfer from Wycombe in the first place if he was obviously so good?

Your usual admirable reasoning doesn't explain why we won't be getting a bonus if he helps them to a £20million promotion bonanza

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Promotion is worth about £30 million minimum - about £18m extra revenue when you go up for one season - if you come straight back down again you get £6m per year for two seasons re "parachute payment"

Is why West Ham could be in administration next season - as no more £6m a year for them!!! Maybe we can get Zamora on a free from the administrators!!!

Tooting Gull said:
It is a hell of a story. Player gets to 30, playing exclusively in the bottom two leagues, gets about 15 games in the Championship and then a move that puts him within touching distance of the Premiership, playing the best football of his life. Good luck to him.

Fairy tale stuff. When I first saw him at Stevenage at pre-season I couldn't believe we were interested in him, he wasn't in the game much and was outrun most of the time by Conference midfielders.

He was unfit but both McGhee and Knight saw through all that and earned us £250,000.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Brixtaan said:
Your usual admirable reasoning doesn't explain why we won't be getting a bonus if he helps them to a £20million promotion bonanza
I still think it's being wise after the event. Did anybody really expect Currie to be Ipswich's best player? (Bit of poetic licence I know as I don't know how good he is in comparison to the other players, but still). Perhaps during the negotiations Ipswich said '£200k now and another £50k' if we get promoted and we said 'No, we want it all now'. (£200k still being a good price for a Wycombe reject only on a one year contract).

However, yes it would have been 'nice' to have a bonus clause and it would have been 'nice' to get £500k initially as he's such a good player, but as I say I don't think anyone foresaw the impact he was going to have.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
yes yes very good but what about the bonus????????????/

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
50k bonus for a £30 million payday? (thanks for the revised figure ac gull.Just clinched the argument i think):)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Brixtaan said:
50k bonus for a £30 million payday? (thanks for the revised figure ac gull.Just clinched the argument i think):)
Eh? The argument was whether we should have had a bonus clause, not how much it was worth. You said it was 'a crime' that we didn't have one, whereas I think it just would have been the icing on what was still a very good deal.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Actually Brixtaan the thing we really should have had was a sell-on clause. 50-100k bonus will be chicken feed when Ipswich sell him to Chelsea for £6m.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports