Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny's Debut, a Sheffield United perspective

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
although he made no great errors today against Cardiff, he worries me. Mainly because he doesn't seem to half a left-foot. On 2 occasions he turned when he needn't hav to put the ball to his right foot. Also, he seems to lack pace and agility. He was body marking excessively at times and his heading into the air is typical of being a Blade!

General view is that they think they paid too much for him and have no idea who he is.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
By the sound of things on the radio Cullip got a bit lucky today. Cameron Jerome, our 18 year-old striker, was winning his battle with Cullip quite comfortably, but he was sacrificed for an extra midfielder after Kavanagh got himself sent off.

I also think Sheffield United paid too much for him. He's a reasonable player, but not Champiosnhip play-off standard.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The Laughing Bluebird said:
By the sound of things on the radio Cullip got a bit lucky today. Cameron Jerome, our 18 year-old striker, was winning his battle with Cullip quite comfortably, but he was sacrificed for an extra midfielder after Kavanagh got himself sent off.

I also think Sheffield United paid too much for him. He's a reasonable player, but not Champiosnhip play-off standard.

Oh well.

Cardiff City manager Lennie Lawrence: "I've never been in such total control of a game here as we were in the first half... The referee was an absolute disgrace."

At least we can lose, resting assure that Cardiff will do the same.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
The Laughing Bluebird said:

Think your being a bit harsh there. There are plenty of defenders in the first eleven of teams in the top 7 or 8 that are not as good as DC.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I see it as both Butters and Danny Cullip being too slow for the Championship. OK, if one of the two win the headers and there is a faster defender alongside. But the pair on the pitch at the same time. Two slow central defenders and one of them had to go.

This is not new. This has been the case all least season as well. Not that I would put Dannny Cullip on the transfer market. as I said before and for the last time, I would have resolved this hopeless lack of pace at the back by putting Danny Cullip in midfield.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
It's funny but look at players like Jeff Minton and Zamora who have left Albion (big fish in small pond) and their careers have gone downhill thereafter. Could it happen to Danny? Possibly.

Last edited:

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
It was only his debut, and Warnock admitted that Cardiff’s diamond formation surprised him and that Seff Utd’s five at the back did not work as he had planned.

Cullip only signed a short period before the Cardiff match, and once he has settled in, played a handful of games and Sheffield United move back to their favoured formation I am sure the Blades fans will see the best of him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here