Danny Holla Signs

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Hopefully be a decent signing, although I'd imagine will be a few weeks before we see him starting as he's had no pre-season so probably not fit enough yet. What odds he gets injured before he plays :lol:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I can't hack reading all the moans. I have Emailed a Den Haag supporter for his views. I have only got one Dutch contact who happens to support Den Haag.

PS: I did not think Bridcutt had been replaced satisfactorily. Ince is a better athlete but his skills, thinking, are not as good.

Dutch League better than the Scottish, nearer and they speak better English.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Sorry but I can't stop thinking of Paul Barber at the forum, going on about building the fan base...I can see it now. Dad to son.

Dad..."Do you want to come to next BHA game son, we made a new signing"
Son..." Really, who is it?"
Dad..." Danny Holla"
Son.."Leo Ulloa's come back,,,yeah let's go"
Dad..." No son, Danny Holla"
Son..." Who's he?"
Dad..."Denfencive midfielder from Holland"
Son..." Nah, your alright dad, I think I will watch tv instead"

A grammatical car-crash

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
1st thing my Boy said (he must be good Dad, his rated 71 on Fifa 14).

http://www.futhead.com/14/players/4616/danny-holla/compare/14-13754/14-5662/

These stats seem OK for measuring pace which is easily recorded and less subjective:

Like for like, re Bridcutt and Clayton. I'd guess he is better than Clayton, not so good as Bridcutt (but nothing in it). My reckoning is that it is a position in which we did not have a single player to fill it up to scratch.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Anyone who doesn't think we need more quality in midfield can't have seen us play preseason or the games so far. Never heard of Holla but let's hope we've struck lucky. We all know we need a LB and more options up front, it's a start.

Ruffy

Jun 24, 2014
Certainly won't be any worse than what we already have, and seems on paper to be alright. Yes he could be rubbish, but lets hold fire until he's up to speed and make the decision then.

With the system that Sami is trying to impliment, I can see him and Toko dropping back to bolter the defence whilst the RB / LB come forward, with players like Crofts, Stevens, Kaz and the new guy pushing forwards also, with Ince as a backup for Holla and Toko. You can't fault Sami for trying to bring people in to use in that system.

After the Birmingham game, people were saying that Ince and JFC (and previously Kemy) were poor, with JFC being poor consistently over several games. Here is a potential solution, along with the others when injury free and at full fitness.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

These stats seem OK for measuring pace which is easily recorded and less subjective:

Like for like, re Bridcutt and Clayton. I'd guess he is better than Clayton, not so good as Bridcutt (but nothing in it). My reckoning is that it is a position in which we did not have a single player to fill it up to scratch.

You are using stats from a computer game to compare players in real life and then claiming it's subjective? The stats are made up, players will be marked up because they are playing for a bigger club, Adam Lallana's stats in FIFA 15 will be boosted because he's joined Liverpool not because he's suddenly become a faster runner. It is entirely subjective and weighted in favour of famous or big name players, once you get to the lower leagues most of the stats are just tweaked depending on how well known a player is. In FIFA 13 Liam Bridcutt's jumping stat was very low despite most Brighton fans knowing that for a small player he was remarkably good in the air and would often out jump 6ft tall midfielders.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
From what we've seen so far is it fair to say that Hyppia wants to play a diamond in midfield consisting of two box2box (Crofts,JFC,Holla,Stephens), one holding (Ince, Toko, Holla) and one advanced (teixeira, kaz, stephens)?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
If football clubs are using FM then so can I:

definitely highly rated on FM with good long shot and can take really good penalties. Consistent and not that riven by injury. Better than anything we've got now as a ball-winning midfielder .

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
You are using stats from a computer game to compare players in real life and then claiming it's subjective? The stats are made up, players will be marked up because they are playing for a bigger club, Adam Lallana's stats in FIFA 15 will be boosted because he's joined Liverpool not because he's suddenly become a faster runner. It is entirely subjective and weighted in favour of famous or big name players, once you get to the lower leagues most of the stats are just tweaked depending on how well known a player is. In FIFA 13 Liam Bridcutt's jumping stat was very low despite most Brighton fans knowing that for a small player he was remarkably good in the air and would often out jump 6ft tall midfielders.

Disagree. Bridcutt has 90 jumping now it has been updated, and generally the stats are accurate. Although in fairness sometimes BHAFC ratings can be slightly off, and their is some truth to your statement about players who move to bigger clubs. Can't wait to see Leo's rating next year...

macky

Dec 28, 2004
The new Hans Kraay? Gulp.

Since I've never seen him play, I'll look forward to that and hope he strengthens the team. But it's a worry that he's on a free - if he's any good you'd expect others in Holland to have snapped him up. And the fact that 1860 Munich were "linked" with him cuts two ways - another way of putting it would be they decided they didn't want to sign him.

One thing worth saying is that if Albion have given him a three-year contract they must be pretty sure he's worth a punt? Otherwise it would have been two or even a year if he was a desperation signing. So fingers crossed.
yea three years we are going to need him in the second division

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I see your point, but I have only checked the Albion players. Pace (acceleration and sprint speed) was usually right, just about everything else as guesswork (=subjective). I did not say anything different.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Decent pedigree and we desperately need someone who can pull the midfield strings. Dead ball skills look good too. When Stephens is back fit and he, Crofts and Holla are available that gives us a good level of experience, skill and bite in the deep midfield, with the options of Solly, Tex and LuaLua creating the flair in front. A left back and another striker and we'll have a decent squad.

Agreed. We have been notably pathetic at corners for years, and (apart from Vicente) rubbish at free kicks. If Texeira and Holla can remedy those short-comings we will have made some progress.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
This might be a good signing. It's a bit of a gamble considering it's a three year contract, if it doesn't work out.

Something tells me it's yet another act of desperation from Burke and his team.

All we need now is a left back, a winger and a striker - then hopefully we can crack on and have a decent season.

Have to agree with this. Why hasn't this guy been snapped up already if he was out of contract? The club has avoided paying another fee at the end of the day. Not so long ago we were looking at Clayton which excited people myself included. A player who was Towns player of the season two years running but we end up with this player. People will be dubious.The last dutch player we signed was on a 3 year deal was a massive flop.

On the plus side he is of good age.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
From what we've seen so far is it fair to say that Hyppia wants to play a diamond in midfield consisting of two box2box (Crofts,JFC,Holla,Stephens), one holding (Ince, Toko, Holla) and one advanced (teixeira, kaz, stephens)?

If this is true it goes contrary to all the tactics I was ever taught and agreed with. It is an easy system to play and an easy system to stop. Unfortunately, I really don't like it.

I liked the lob-sided (one winger) 4-3-3 of Gus Poyet best for home matches. I would like the Capello 4-4-2 for away matches if we still had a right winger with pace.

When the opponents play a pressing game we should still play it out from the back on the good pitches nowadays. Not a punt every time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports