Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Baker's World Cup Show

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
DB used to write a column for the national newspaper I worked for in the 1990s and it was brilliant, but nevertheless it used to attract real hate mail, which I couldn't understand. Being funny for money is one of the hardest things to pull off, and he did it effortlessly. He asked the football writers to send him any off-the-wall stuff we'd heard, and I passed on something someone had told me about a young lady who had slept her way to the job of PA announcer at Maine Road (yes, some people don't exactly aim high in life) and a few weeks later there appeared 1,000 words plus of genius on ways to get jobs in football even if you can't kick a ball straight.

His Saturday morning show on 5Live is unmissable. I don't feel properly prepared for a match day unless I've heard the sausage sandwich game.

His Saturday morning show on 5Live is unmissable. I don't feel properly prepared for a match day unless I've heard the sausage sandwich game.

This. Usually listen on podcast but a must listen to show every week!

As you brought it up, I'm compelled to ask this question. Red Sauce, Brown Sauce or no sauce at all?

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
The fan in the Pram got me. Hilarious. It was great that there were LOADS of stuff I hadn't seen before. Around WC time, it's all the same old clips usually.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I too am a big fan of the Baker boy, his autobiography (part one?) is a great read.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Agreed, enjoyed this. Saw lots of new stuff on there, and like his presenting style. Compare that to Murrs and Ferdinand the night previously......

God that was shocking wasn't it? The football equivalent of that Brits show presented by Mick Fleetwood and Samantha Fox. Shame as the clips etc were actually quite good - and Mexico 1970 was officially voted the best World Cup, despite the current result of Simster's poll on another thread!

As you say there was some good stuff, but whoever said it could have done with tighter editing was spot-on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well worth listening to Danny Baker's Desert Island Discs, if anyone does not like the bloke then I reckon this would change your mind. Amazingly positive about everything from having to money as a kid to beating cancer as an adult.
He also did a slot on Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast.

Well worth checking out, Herring asked a question and Danny stopped answering it about an hour later.

Strangely enough it was probably more in depth than D.I.D's.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This. Usually listen on podcast but a must listen to show every week!

As you brought it up, I'm compelled to ask this question. Red Sauce, Brown Sauce or no sauce at all?

I've thought about this a lot, and I'm leaning towards no sauce at all.

(And I'm convinced that the 'at all' is a vital component - try saying it without the 'at all' and it just doesn't work as well. Danny Baker has a concert violinist's ear for the music of the English language.)

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
It was a one-off. Think it's repeated this week at some point late at night

Missed the show last night but if its called 'World Cup Brush Up with Danny Baker' then its on BBC4 this Thursday at 11pm. Listed as episode 1 of 4.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here