Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Daniel Storey’s weekend piece in inews….

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
is a lovely read….

(https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...tingham-forest-tweak-chelsea-brighton-2085513)

“Brighton

Their 3-0 win over Liverpool was the perfect display and the perfect embodiment of Brighton’s progress. They had never beaten Liverpool at home in the top flight, and they beat Jurgen Klopp’s team at what used to be their own game: high pressing, quick overlaps, players entering the attacking penalty area from different angles and at different times and, finally, efficient finishing. Roberto De Zerbi has got this team scoring like never before and he’s done it without the wantaway Leandro Trossard. Any player who wants to leave this project in midseason wants their head checking.

The next time a supporter of an elite club, probably online and probably angrily, tells you that their club needs to spend tens of millions of pounds to create a team worthy of the club’s ambitions, tell them about Brighton. You don’t need to do that, and if you do it’s because of the pressure put upon the club to relentlessly reach their potential every season without even temporary decline and the culture the club created by spending so much in the first place. Yes, this is about Chelsea.

Brighton’s starting XI against Liverpool cost them £30m in transfer fees to buy. It took time, because these things do. They will not be forever, because eventually bigger clubs get things right (either by appointing the right people to make the decisions or through the sheer law of averages) and money makes the biggest difference when it is blended with expertise. But right now, Brighton are better than Liverpool and they are better than Chelsea.

They future-proofed by recruiting before they sold. They maintained a culture of excellence by allowing those who wanted to leave to go, rather than overpaying to keep them or pretending nothing would ever change. They bought youth but then quickly developed that youth by giving them regular league minutes.

Three months ago, Brighton lost their manager and supporters worried that the end of the cycle had been forced upon them by the extreme wealth of others. They lost their off-field staff too. Their starting XI on Saturday contained five players aged 24 and under. And they were utterly, irresistibly dominant. Good things happen to good clubs.”

Dec 29, 2011
They will not be forever, because eventually bigger clubs get things right (either by appointing the right people to make the decisions or through the sheer law of averages) and money makes the biggest difference when it is blended with expertise.
I disagree with this. What most people fail to realise is we have two distinct edges above any other club:

1) Blooms extensive data on every football team and player in the world. It isn't our scouts that unearth the gems, but rather the data Bloom has available. This is an extensive system that has been built over 2 decades and is used to beat betting companies for millions of dollars per year; no other club will ever get close to replicating this.

You can steal Dan Ashworth and you can steal Paul Winstanley, but without the tools provided by Bloom these people are blunt instruments. We will continue to identify talent around the world that other clubs wouldn't dream to touch. And once we do, it combines with our second advantage:

2) Developing talent.

The biggest clubs will never be able to give the minutes to young players that Brighton can. Part of being a 'smaller' football club is that we have more flexibility to allow players to grow, make mistakes, learn their trade and ultimately fulfill their potential. Point in case being Levi Colwill who would currently be sitting on Chelsea's bench, but at Brighton he is developing into a world class centre back.

Bloom has made us the Dortmund of the Premier League and I think the chance for Brighton to be a fixture in the top 6 is more prevelent than any football journey believes right now.

Come to Brighton, learn your trade, reach your potential and in four years move to Madrid, Barcelona or Man City.

The future is bright and we owe it all to one man's vision.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I disagree with this. What most people fail to realise is we have two distinct edges above any other club:

1) Blooms extensive data on every football team and player in the world. It isn't our scouts that unearth the gems, but rather the data Bloom has available. This is an extensive system that has been built over 2 decades and is used to beat betting companies for millions of dollars per year; no other club will ever get close to replicating this.

You can steal Dan Ashworth and you can steal Paul Winstanley, but without the tools provided by Bloom these people are blunt instruments. We will continue to identify talent around the world that other clubs wouldn't dream to touch. And once we do, it combines with our second advantage:

2) Developing talent.

The biggest clubs will never be able to give the minutes to young players that Brighton can. Part of being a 'smaller' football club is that we have more flexibility to allow players to grow, make mistakes, learn their trade and ultimately fulfill their potential. Point in case being Levi Colwill who would currently be sitting on Chelsea's bench, but at Brighton he is developing into a world class centre back.

Bloom has made us the Dortmund of the Premier League and I think the chance for Brighton to be a fixture in the top 6 is more prevelent than any football journey believes right now.

Come to Brighton, learn your trade, reach your potential and in four years move to Madrid, Barcelona or Man City.

This, this and more this.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

2) Developing talent.

Only think I wold say under 1 is it's both - we're picking up players in some cases that will very little in the way of meaningful data available.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

2) Developing talent.

Agree with this - my only additional observation would be to point out that Mathew Benham looks as though he has copied a great deal of what Bloom has done over the last few years and may well have "obtained" a significant element of the data and systems that Bloom uses when he exited Bloom's company back in the day. Brentford may therefore be getting close to replicating Bloom's systems.

Dec 29, 2011
Agree with this - my only additional observation would be to point out that Mathew Benham looks as though he has copied a great deal of what Bloom has done over the last few years and may well have "obtained" a significant element of the data and systems that Bloom uses when he exited Bloom's company back in the day. Brentford may therefore be getting close to replicating Bloom's systems.
When I wrote this I had Benham in the back of my mind. It's no coincidence they are literally one point behind us (further proof of the importance of the set up?).

I'm not sure on Benhams wealth, but I suspect Bloom is a bit wealthier which means he can take more risk, or invest more in developing players. Either way, I respect Brentford for their set up.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
When I wrote this I had Benham in the back of my mind. It's no coincidence they are literally one point behind us (further proof of the importance of the set up?).

I'm not sure on Benhams wealth, but I suspect Bloom is a bit wealthier which means he can take more risk, or invest more in developing players. Either way, I respect Brentford for their set up.
So good to see the table with Fulham, Brighton, Brentford where they are. I really do get the feeling that the next cycle is coming round and it's going to mean a more competitive league. Why would players want these moves to the 'Big Six' when #TeamsLikeBrighton(Brentford) are beating them. Players will be keener to stay, and everything will gradually get more balanced.

I hope.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Yep. I've no issue with Brentford (and/or Fulham) being 'disruptors' in the PL and threatening the status quo of the 'Big Six'.

That might be getting ahead of ourselves, but Saturday was the culmination of years of hard work from a lot of people - past and present - at the club. Pretty sure it won't be a one-off...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I This is an extensive system that has been built over 2 decades and is used to beat betting companies for millions of dollars per year; no other club will ever get close to replicating this.
but also star lizard sell its products / technology to betting companies as well !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

2) Developing talent.

I said much the same about Bloom the other day in reply to someone who thinks he 'failed' be losing all his staff. As you say, Bloom has the system to identify talent. He then presents the data to so-called football experts, 'heads of recruitment' and that, who Bloom allows to make the final decision, based mostly on how the head coach wants to set up his side. It wouldn't surprise me if Bloom doesn't bother replacing much of the middle management. He will do what he decides to do, of course. Everyone likes a wing man or two...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
but also star lizard sell its products / technology to betting companies as well !
Not its technology. Not even its staff know how the company works (articles passim).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So good to see the table with Fulham, Brighton, Brentford where they are. I really do get the feeling that the next cycle is coming round and it's going to mean a more competitive league. Why would players want these moves to the 'Big Six' when #TeamsLikeBrighton(Brentford) are beating them. Players will be keener to stay, and everything will gradually get more balanced.

I hope.
Hopefully.

At the end of the day, you can earn an excellent crust as Brighton/Fulham/Bentford. And you may find your team mates are nicer. With a real chance of trophies, what's not to like? It's only narcissists who polish their ringpiece with bees-wax every morning that demand top trophies every year to maintain their global image and what not. Who wants a nob like Ronaldo at the club? It takes someone like Fergie with a back street bruiser's bottle, coupled with nous, to keep these prima donnas in check. And then when they retire the club falls apart.

I much prefer our model.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I hope.
Why would they? For a massive increase in wages. You or I might not, but players aren't Albion fans.

That's why our model has to include selling players when they want to go, if the price is right, and why we have to keep on looking for the next first-team ready players. At the moment I don't see a Caicedo replacement, unless it's Billy Gilmour.

And by the way, this model may have been planned for some time, but it hasn't been actually been put in practice for very long. Potter was supposedly a coach who came with a reputation for giving opportunities to young players, but apart from replacing Ryan with Big Bob, actually I don't think he lived up to it. Maybe his experience with Connolly put him off ...

Dec 29, 2011
Why would they? For a massive increase in wages. You or I might not, but players aren't Albion fans.

That's why our model has to include selling players when they want to go, if the price is right, and why we have to keep on looking for the next first-team ready players. At the moment I don't see a Caicedo replacement, unless it's Billy Gilmour.

And by the way, this model may have been planned for some time, but it hasn't been actually been put in practice for very long. Potter was supposedly a coach who came with a reputation for giving opportunities to young players, but apart from replacing Ryan with Big Bob, actually I don't think he lived up to it. Maybe his experience with Connolly put him off ...
RDZ on the other hand? Oh my.

I was gutted when Potter left, I can't believe I love the new guy even more after only a few months.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
RDZ on the other hand? Oh my.

I was gutted when Potter left, I can't believe I love the new guy even more after only a few months.
RDZ is the business.

After two games (and no wins) I felt more connected to RDZ than I have to any manager since Gus.

I flipping love the guy. Obviously, if he goes to Milan or something I’m not then going to become a fan of I Rossoneri, as that would just be weird.

Enjoying every single day as an Albion fan.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

2) Developing talent.

Top 6 clubs need proven players. The margin of error is very small when running for titles and CL trophies. You simply can’t afford to bed in young players unless they are exceptional, hence using teams like Brighton to provide the fully rounded players.
The problem they have now is that players can look exceptional in a team because they fit the teams playing style, take them out of that environment and they revert back to being just very good. I would argue that Biss and Sideshow Bob fall into this category. for instance in the past a top class midfielder would work in any top 6 team now that isn’t always the case.
The Premier League is awash with so called prodigies who have performed poorly at the big clubs, simply because they aren’t the type of player the club actually needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here