Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interested to see how this turns out. You have to assume BDB is really happy where he is, enjoying surely the best season of his entire career. From a purely footballing perspective, it's got to be hard to give that up for a relegation battle and possible Championship football next year. I could imagine Albion being tempted by the fee - but at the same time, BDB has proved a very versatile option and has a good few years in him yet. I'd have thought - good though he is - Duffy is a more likely candidate to be deemed surplus to requirements.

The good thing is, Albion really can't lose. They either spank Newcastle for an outrageous amount or we keep a very decent player.

I'm sure he is really happy but this is also the last opportunity he will ever have to join his favorite club and make a shitload of money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Like Utd and Lingard we need to screw them over with a 'not relegated' clause.

Get them to cough up asking price and some if BDB keeps them up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Like Utd and Lingard we need to screw them over with a 'not relegated' clause.

Get them to cough up asking price and some if BDB keeps them up.

Yes, still going £25m plus £10m for saving them.

I will then drive him myself, though would expect petrol money and dinner

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Reading this thread I don’t think people appreciate in a couple of years or so Dan’s football career will be over as a player. Good luck to him if he’s getting mega bucks and a chance to play for his boyhood club.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Until recently, while most of us have appreciated what Dan can bring to the squad, it's fair to say BDB has not been an automatic pick.

Now, he is a vital part of an awesome back 6:
Sanchez
Lamptey Webster Dunk Burn Cucurella

that is perfectly balanced with form players that know their roles and have the freedom to roam forward.

So, I'd prefer us to offer BDB a new improved contract.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Reading this thread I don’t think people appreciate in a couple of years or so Dan’s football career will be over as a player. Good luck to him if he’s getting mega bucks and a chance to play for his boyhood club.

I wouldn’t blame him if he went but for all we know BDB is somewhere on NUFCs long list of targets and they are trying to put things into place in case plans a, b and c don’t come off. Equally TB might tell them where to go, or BDB might not want to leave, or another team might come in with another offer…… or it may be a complete smoke screen and they sign Dunk!

Interesting few days ahead

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
I am sticking to what I see in front of me and that is Dan Burn loves playing for this club, is playing his best football and loves this club. We are a family!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Bit harsh, he's just turned 30. Does that mean we've only got 2 years left of Dunk, Duffy, Veltman too?

When did Bruno make his last PL contribution, 38 years old wasn't it?

Brian Riggs

Aug 7, 2009

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

It's not about keeping the bloke against his will. He has signed a contract to play for us for another 18 months

The normal rules apply anyway don't they? The club will let anyone speak to potential suitors, then if there's a bid which is right for the club and the player wants to go, then they can go. Burn isn't different to any other player.

But TB has to look after the club. An English centre back, playing regularly in the top half of the PL obviously has a value which TB is quite right to insist is paid. we can't just let him go for less than that value because he was born near the club who are looking to buy him

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Until recently, while most of us have appreciated what Dan can bring to the squad, it's fair to say BDB has not been an automatic pick.

Sanchez

that is perfectly balanced with form players that know their roles and have the freedom to roam forward.

Then add the fact that IF they do stay up we will have sold to a Direct rival , Lets just give BDB more incentive to stay £££

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
In Newcastle's case it doesn't matter whether he's got 18 months or 18 years left on his contract. They need him now, not in the summer and not next year. £20 million or no deal. No need to offer him a new, improved contract to stay either. Why should the club increase their costs just because a bunch of murderers have expressed an interest in the player? It may be different for Bissouma, of course.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In Newcastle's case it doesn't matter whether he's got 18 months or 18 years left on his contract. They need him now, not in the summer and not next year. £20 million or no deal. No need to offer him a new, improved contract to stay either. Why should the club increase their costs just because a bunch of murderers have expressed an interest in the player? It may be different for Bissouma, of course.

In theory your right - but in the real world and how you manage people properly you're wrong.

If you don't want to sell him - and the player wants to leave - and you don't want to offer him a new deal in the last 18 months of his contract either it is a bit unfair.

Unless we are offering a deal and he's choosing not to take it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
There's more to having footballers than just being able to recoup the money in transfers. Being a football club, we have footballers to hopefully play football. Not to say we won't sell from time to time, but it has to be right for the football club. And what has been proposed so far certainly isn't

Dont disagree with any of that, and youd hope that if Burns agent is doing his job, he'll be using the Newcastle interest to at least try and leverage a better new offer from us.

the 5 year contract remark was referring to Burns perspective not our clubs, he's possibly not going to get a new 5 year deal with us (with 18 months to go currently), and if he is offered a new contract with us over a shorter time frame, what will the total value of the contract be vis a vis what he may be offered today at Saudia FC.

I would guess every footballer would prefer to play week in week out and they'd be happiest when they are, but they will also be looking to secure theirs and their families futures in their employment, as this is after all also their job, so whilst playing for the Albion at £Xpw is great, if over the next few years he can earn £2Xpw at Saudia regardless of any other considerations, that has got to be of interest to the player who will be a long time retired in a few years from now...... + there's no guarantee he wont get seriously injured or be out of favour here if Potter moved on. I can see the huge pull of his boyhood club as a geordie. Plus if that secures more his financial future, it would surely be of interest to him and his family.

Its a romantacised ideal, that all players will simply be happy just because theyre playing. Many will be looking to extract maximum returns from their short careers.

Its because its both his boyhood, local club and the potential payrise that this has legs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Talksport (Jordan and White) slamming Toon a bit for trying to lowball us for a 'proven PL defender' (noting that we haven't really missed D&D, which confirms how good he's been) when they're awash with cash and agreeing that 15-20m isn't unreasonable for BDB (apparently we're looking for £20m now).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Talksport (Jordan and White) slamming Toon a bit for trying to lowball us for a 'proven PL defender' (noting that we haven't really missed D&D, which confirms how good he's been) when they're awash with cash and agreeing that 15-20m isn't unreasonable for BDB (apparently we're looking for £20m now).

Yet we have some of our own fans letting him go for £10m and he's only got 2 years playing left. :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

It is remarkable how Newcastle are rolling around with 5 days left low balling clubs for proven PL players. I don't agree they should be ripped off - but in their situation £15M for a proven, ready made CB shouldn't even be a second consideration for them. There is some suggestion that for the first year or 2 that there is a 80/10/10 rule with PIF, Reubens & Stavely. That in terms of investment and transfers 80% is funded by PIF with the remaining 10% by Stavely & Reubens - and perhaps she is the limiting factor. And lack of experience with CEO, Directors of Football or whatever - who is negotiating these deals for them?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Sanchez

Agreed, if he doesn’t go he deserves a new contract anyway

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

The contract would be on his recent contribution to the club surely, seems a sensible time to do it with 18 months left regardless of their interest?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Yes, don’t sell to the Beheaders unless for outrageously silly money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here