[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I would be verysurprised if the successful candidate isn't David Weir. Groomed by the club for a while, promoted to assistant TD and, more pertinently, turned down Everton for a similar role recently... Personally, I hope he gets the role but whatever happens, the club is clearly smart enough to have significant levels of succession planning in place for all key people at the club.

I think it will be Weir, they've said they hope he applies...... The extensive search is an employment law requirement, they'll interview a few no doubt, but be surprised if it's not Weir.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Im really not that bothered. Tony is the main man - now if he were to jack it in.

Yes, Ashworth is clearly talented and will be missed, but a fair amount of the brief he was given has been done. The revitalising of our academy etc. The new person wont be starting from scratch, the foundations that Ashworth left will still be there. Ready for the new person to build upon. And there is more than one talented individual

Im not quite sure Newcastle will give Ashworth the same job satisfaction. They will be a continuous revolving door of off the peg players for years to come. Would Lamptey be been given a chance in say a years time. Doubtfu, as Newcastle will probably buy a RB from Seville or somewhere

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Being reported it is Newcastle.

Hope this proves to be a lucrative mistake for Dan with relegation and financial fair play enforced. What a sell out, thought he had integrity and class but clearly not.

What a load of bollocks. There probably isn't a better project available in world football right now for a role like that. Of course he was always going to go, as would virtually anybody else in his position who has ambition. Good luck to him.

I'm sure he'd prefer the money funding it came from sustainable recycling in the Amazon, but that's not the world we live in. A large part of Bloom's money comes from the gambling industry, an industry that ruins millions of people's lives. That's not to compare Bloom to the Saudis by any means, but elite football is a grubby business.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
This doesn't come as a surprise to me in the SLIGHTEST... Ever since the club promoted Weir, you could see this coming an absolute mile off.

There's never a good time for this to happen, but I feel like the club probably knew about this for a while longer than simply just being told... They would have measures in place, and I'm not worried. If a player wishes to sign for Newcastle in the Summer, then they would've likely not been the right fit for Brighton anyway.

We were doing well before Ashworth - we will continue on. Only person I would be worried about losing is Bloom.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Think he is in for a shock at Newcastle if I’m honest.

I’d imagine their timescales for success and results are far quicker than what we’ve been expecting from him.

Also I believe his success will depend on the support he has around him, whilst it’s clear he has helped us I’m sure a big chunk of what he has done has been due to the team and the support he has every day.

I’m not as nervous as some are surrounding recruitment and scouting of players, it’s very obvious that isn’t down to him as we have two other people in charge of that who then report into Ashworth. I’m sure if they find a good player it will still be dealt with in the same way and we aren’t going to suddenly miss out on players to Newcastle.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I’d imagine their timescales for success and results are far quicker than what we’ve been expecting from him.

Also I believe his success will depend on the support he has around him, whilst it’s clear he has helped us I’m sure a big chunk of what he has done has been due to the team and the support he has every day.

I’m not as nervous as some are surrounding recruitment and scouting of players, it’s very obvious that isn’t down to him as we have two other people in charge of that who then report into Ashworth. I’m sure if they find a good player it will still be dealt with in the same way and we aren’t going to suddenly miss out on players to Newcastle.

The job is way bigger than that. It is going to be a full on infrastructure job, training ground, Youth Teams, U18s, U23s as well as the first team development. It is probably a very attractive job for anyone that is a 'builder' and will have huge resource to do so. First team thing will just be 'part' of the job but fairly small in terms of the overall investment that will be made

My only slight concern is the 'people reporting' to him were the people that made mistakes such as Ali J, Locadia etc, and those mistakes seem to have disappeared when Ashworth came in. Likewise we were shopping in South America but struggled to close those deals until Ashworth came along. Again, with some of the astute signings made like Lamptey, the ex-West Ham lad from Portugal were all regarded within the FA ranks where Ashworth has close ties - so you'd hope we can find his replacement with similar links / abilities.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
What a load of bollocks. There probably isn't a better project available in world football right now for a role like that. Of course he was always going to go, as would virtually anybody else in his position who has ambition. Good luck to him.

I'm sure he'd prefer the money funding it came from sustainable recycling in the Amazon, but that's not the world we live in. A large part of Bloom's money comes from the gambling industry, an industry that ruins millions of people's lives. That's not to compare Bloom to the Saudis by any means, but elite football is a grubby business.

Your moral compass has also been corrupted I see. Business is business but working for a murderous regime is never the right thing to do chap even by proxy.

You and Dan should watch the Dissident together.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This doesn't come as a surprise to me in the SLIGHTEST... Ever since the club promoted Weir, you could see this coming an absolute mile off.

There's never a good time for this to happen, but I feel like the club probably knew about this for a while longer than simply just being told... They would have measures in place, and I'm not worried. If a player wishes to sign for Newcastle in the Summer, then they would've likely not been the right fit for Brighton anyway.

We were doing well before Ashworth - we will continue on. Only person I would be worried about losing is Bloom.

Im guessing the player scouting data analysis algorithm stuff, is Blooms/Star Lizards and couldn't be pinched?

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Im guessing the player scouting data analysis algorithm stuff, is Blooms/Star Lizards and couldn't be pinched?

Yes it's Bloom's - so might take learnings but not the whole thing... It's also not really something new - other teams will use similar (Brentford are an obvious very similar example and the links between the clubs owners of course).

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
It is a massive blow that I suspect will set us back a little. We seem to have David Weir in line for the job if he wants it, so I suspect we are really looking for a new assistant.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A shame but, given his background, he was never likely to stay for 10 or 20 years.

He's done some great groundwork and I'm sure loads of Brighton staff have learnt a lot from him.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

I'm sure Bloom learnt from the Benham incident (don't know the details but it ended in a court case I think). I'm sure there is loads of things he won't be allowed to take with him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not overly bothered - has done a good job and set things up so the 'harder' bit of work has been done and the club is well-placed to take it forward. Tony will have clear succession plans in place, strategy won't change and it does look as though he's also playing hardball on DA's notice period.

'I'd like to leave immediately so I can get cracking on the new job if that's OK Tony'

'Nope, you can sit at home and watch your new club continue to head towards relegation up whilst you work out your full notice period. Close the door on your way out'

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Thanks for all the amazing work Dan.

You have filled our U23 ranks with some of the most promising players on the planet (Caicedo, Kozlowski etc). We’ll replace you and will then continue to be above Newcastle for the foreseeable future.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I just wonder if there is any danger that he might take some of our key staff with him?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Once Weir was given an effective promotion it always looked like a handover of sorts was underway.‬

‪No one person is the organisation and you would hope he leaves having built an effective framework and that processes can be followed. ‬

‪Still it’s a shame. ‬

boik

Not sure you understand Blooms gambling business. Unless I've misunderstood, he doesn't take money from poor people on the street, he takes money from already wealthy people in order to take money from very rich bookmakers. Ordinary gamblers are not involved. I'm not saying it's a particularly altruistic way of using money, but it's not your normal gambling company.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports