Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Dame Alison Rose resigns

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Farage demanding the whole Natwest board quit. Seems disproportionate, but if they do hopefully they replace them with an entire board made of the most successful settled asylum seekers.
Sums it up really.

The banking institution loses credibility and integrity, top time for a Hislop style whataboutery.

Sums it up really.

The banking institution loses credibility and integrity, top time for a Hislop style whataboutery.
Didn't say at all she shouldn't have gone. Light hearted comment relating to this chap not being the most pleasant. He has been wronged, albeit with the offer of a Natwest account (Premier apparently) but that doesn't mean people won't remember what the 7 times election loser, free speech champion with skin thiner than a frail old person does for a day job.

If this happened to a footballer, would you not expect any mention of football?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I dont see what the manner of the association/engagement has to do with it. But if you do want to limit it to customers there are examples of customers being banned from things as their views and/or behaviour are not aligned with the business. Wasnt Farage banned from his own local?
I’m sure you do see the difference. But I’ll explain my position. It’s the difference in being employed by someone and then by your actions bringing that company into disrepute, as in your example with Mr West. Farage had a bank account and was not promoting or advertising the bank. In fact no-one would have known who he banked with without all this fuss.
I’m sure that pubs have the right to ban customers, usually when someone has done something wrong. So that’s not a great argument. I was hoping for something better.
Farage, an odious man, is getting mileage out of this and far more support on his woke agenda because he can now prove he’s a victim of the Coutts/Nat West almighty balls up because of his political views. This gives traction for him and revives a career that was dying on its feet.
This is really a point of principle that someone should be able to have a bank account without passing a test to see what their political views are. If you can’t see that, and it could apply to others with different views in the future, than I give up.
Farage has been dealt a disservice here, he‘s milking it for his own particular woke agenda, let’s just admit he’s right, sooner that’s done the less oxygen he has and he can slink off back to the pub (that hasn’t banned him).

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Didn't say at all she shouldn't have gone. Light hearted comment relating to this chap not being the most pleasant. He has been wronged, albeit with the offer of a Natwest account (Premier apparently) but that doesn't mean people won't remember what the 7 times election loser, free speech champion with skin thiner than a frail old person does for a day job.

I'm still looking at it from the banking industry point of view.

Irrespective of whether it's about the financial matters of Farage or Angela Rippon, she broke many codes and that is totally unacceptable and highly damaging.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Somewhat surprisingly, Alison Rose has resigned.

Normally, you'd get an extra damehood for calling Nigel Farage a disingenuous grifter, but it appears Rose has decided she must go, and while I agree we should ensure that people have banking services, I'd feel pretty unwell having him as one of my customers.

Anyhow, normally you can't get a government minister for love or money to come on the radio or TV to talk about banks, but today they're falling over themselves. That measley mouthed MP we have in Mid Sussex is calling for standards (this is the same guy who lent Johnson his house and refused to damn him for lies), and No. 10 has had the cheek to say they expect people in public life to show the highest standards. FFS! We agree, but where have you been for the past 5 years? She only said he had qeustionable views that could be seen as xenophobic. He has!

Let's also remember, banking services weren't withdrawn from him. He was offer NatWest Premier status over Coutts.

Now Farage is asking for cultural change at the bank. It sounds like they have just the right culture if they are asking whether they really want Farage as a customer and if their leader is stepping up and resigning at the first sign that they should be accountable for something that they did.
I cannot stand Farage but we can't selectively defend the indefensible because we don't like him.

I equally cannot stand Corbyn personally , but I'd feel the same way if he was the victim.

Unless somebody is convicted of a financial crime, or the source of the money comes from crime, you can't be closing down accounts based on a dossier of newspaper headlines.

Even more unacceptable is that Alison Rose took confidential private banking information and leaked it to the BBC.

You simply cannot do that nor condone it.

Would it be acceptable for a surgeon to refuse to operate because they don't like your views on the EU, or to leak all your private medical info because of your political views?

She absolutely had to go and I am glad that Sir Keir agrees too!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sums it up really.

Why does the institution lose credibility because of one person’s actions?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You are chatting with potty? Schoolboy error ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I cannot stand Farage but we can't selectively defend the indefensible because we don't like him.

I equally cannot stand Corbyn personally , but I'd feel the same way if he was the victim.

Unless somebody is convicted of a financial crime, or the source of the money comes from crime, you can't be closing down accounts based on a dossier of newspaper headlines.

Even more unacceptable is that Alison Rose took confidential private banking information and leaked it to the BBC.

Would it be acceptable for a surgeon to refuse to operate because they don't like your views on the EU, or to leak all your private medical info because of your political views?

Yep.

But Potty is still blowing faux smoke out of his arse, it seems :shrug:

Just when Farrage was getting a smidge of sympathy, Potty blows it for him,

How sad. Never mind.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Farage, she committed a breach of the data protection regs and, given her position, she simply had to go.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not laughing with you, Potty...

Sorry , with you , Potty?

1690400137868.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Attachments

• 1690400909362.png
    1690400909362.png
    95.7 KB · Views: 19

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

or have links to Russia. which oddly enough is cited as key risk here.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
or have links to Russia. which oddly enough is cited as key risk here.
There's not a shred of proof he does.

It was Aron banks who was alleged in 1 paper, by Carole Codwallader and that allegation was never proven......

simply because Banks,was bankrolling Farage EU leave campaign, an unproven allegation against Banks, does not in any way prove links of Farage to Moscow.

Its all unproven rumour, hearsay and mud slinging.

And it's pissing me off defending Farage, as the blokes a prick, but the concepts of free speech, freedom of association, and innocent until proven guilty apply to everyone in all circumstances.

This smacks more of agenda based cancel culture than having any legitimate basis like proven money from proceeds of crime.

And I bet you Coutts has accounts from all sorts of dodgy people, Russians, Saudis etc.

And despite all of that, the head of the bank violated data protection laws and leaked private banking info to the BBC.

That's far more dangerous imho than an empty vessel like Farage spouting bullshit.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What annoys me more than any of the rights and wrongs of this case is that this Dulwich Collge educated, former city trader turned "everyman" who is apparently in no way part of the establishment has somehow ensured his crappy trivial case is now mainstream news. Why? Why should anyone give a f**k about Coutts binning him off? It's an absolute nothing story on a par with a specific business going under entirely because of Brexit. You know, the sort of thing that goes on but doesn't make headline news for 3 consecutive weeks.
I wound my business up voluntarily, I'd had enough and recent years 'events' tipped the scales.

No TV series yet. Not even a national rag series.

I really should have racked up debt, f***ed people over, and maybe drowned some kittens in the playground of a primary school

whilst shifting all assets off sure and applying for a German passport While everyone was distracted.

the sooner Farage is extinct, the better.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

It was Aron banks who was alleged in 1 paper, by Carole Codwallader and that allegation was never proven......

simply because Banks,was bankrolling Farage EU leave campaign, an unproven allegation against Banks, does not in any way prove links of Farage to Moscow.

And it's pissing me off defending Farage, as the blokes a prick, but the concepts of free speech, freedom of association, and innocent until proven guilty apply to everyone in all circumstances.

This smacks more of agenda based cancel culture than having any legitimate basis like proven money from proceeds of crime.

And I bet you Coutts has accounts from all sorts of dodgy people, Russians, Saudis etc.

And despite all of that, the head of the bank violated data protection laws and leaked private banking info to the BBC.

That's far more dangerous imho than an empty vessel like Farage spouting bullshit.
Whilst I agree . . .what always astounds me, is how much press and air the **** gets.

decent people and competent elected politicians get a fraction.

or is it just the volume . . .Trump factor?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

And it's pissing me off trying to defend Farage, but the concepts of free speech, freedom of association, and innocent until proven guilty apply to everyone in all circumstances.

The tangible fact was tiny fees paid by RT to Farage, openly disclosed by Farage. RT engaged many westerners. Abhorrent to me, but not illegal.

Chris Bryant MP made unsubstantiated allegations in the Commons that Farage banked £548,000 in 2018 alone from RT. Bottling repeating that outside of parliamentary privilege. Bryant had lazily and illiterately taken a general figure from Farage’s limited company accounts, getting his maths wrong in the process, then adding a wildly guessed narrative explanation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here